Thread: Report: MA gamefish bill meeting

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    However, I know of both recs and comms who have very creative ways of disregarding the laws and getting away with it. This becomes a bigger problem where you have an activity like fishing, where it's very difficult to have universal compliance.

There aren't enough officers in the field. People who disregard the law regularly know they have a slim chance of getting caught for fishing violations. The fines are so small that it's almost worth it to cheat for the dishonest ones. They view it as the cost of doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Based on the testimony I heard from both sides, here are some of the key issues that need to be addressed:

2. Is it in the best interests of MA to prevent every Comm fisherman from fishing for striped bass?
    This issue became confusing the more I heard the testimony from the Comm guys. In the previous post I slammed some of the things the Comm guys do. I also stated that there are abuses on the Rec side as well.
    I think the real answer here to a workable solution lies somewhere in the middle:

a. They could immediately put a cap on all new commercial licenses, none permitted for the future.

b. Let guys know that the weekend warrior comm guys would be weeded out from the system. If you can't prove you fish commercially for a living, it might be a good idea to look into why that group has to be gven the privelege of a commercial permit. The commercial permit gives you the right to harvest and carry 30 fish/day. I respectfully submit that if there is abuse of this permit, it's more llikely to be by a guy who doesn't do it for a living. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I know of a few NJ guys who make the run to MA every year to fish commercially. Private intel came in that said some of them were finding ways to take more than their limits. I think it's important for abuses like that to be stopped. As some of those testifying said, when people do that they're stealing from all people in MA. I've also heard of instances of commercial guys living in MA who have sold to restaurants & small independent fish markets where they don't have to report it on their license. This underground industry needs to be looked at.

You touched on some good points. I know 5 guys with commercial licenses. 3 of them openly brag how they are selling outside their license to restaurants and mom and pop fish markets, so it doesn't go on their total. This is more widespread than you think. These abuses have to be stopped with higher fines and better enforcement.

As for the out of state guys, I don't think you can stop them from fishing, as you said. What you can do is make their license cost 10x what a resident pays. Or prove that 50% of their income came from commercial fishing. This is not without precedent. Alaska, Florida, and many other states have license fee differentials for in-state vs out of state. This seems like the fairest in the long run. Here is how they run it in NY -

(ii) Permits to take a full quota share of striped bass will be issued at no cost to persons who currently possess a valid New York State commercial food fish license and who previously held a New York State license to sell striped bass during 1984, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, or 1995 and who can demonstrate through Federal or New York State income tax records that 50 percent or more of his or her earned income resulted from his or her direct participation in the harvest of marine fish, shellfish, crustaceans or other marine biota in any one year during the period 1994 through 2004. A complete copy of such tax record must be filed with the department upon application.
    (iii) Permits to take a partial quota share of striped bass will be issued at no cost to persons who currently possess a valid New York State commercial food fish license and who previously held a New York State license to sell striped bass during 1984, 1985, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, or 1995 but who cannot demonstrate that they earned 50 percent or more of their earned income from the direct participation in the harvest of marine fish, shellfish, crustaceans or other marine biota.
    (iv) Any holder of a partial share permit may apply for a full share permit by demonstrating through federal or state tax records that 50 percent or more of his or her earned income has been derived from the direct participation in the harvest of marine fish, shellfish, crustaceans or other marine biota during the preceding year.
    (v) Beginning in 2005, and continuing at five year intervals, each striped bass commercial harvesters permit holder in the full share category must file with the department a complete copy of his or her federal or state income tax records from one of the preceding three years. Such tax records must be filed before the June 1 deadline for receipt of applications. Such tax records must demonstrate that the permit holder has, as stated in subparagraph (ii) above, maintained the 50 percent earned income level in order to remain a participant in the full share category. Failure to file a timely and complete copy of federal or state income tax records which demonstrate that the permit holder has maintained the 50 percent earned income level will result in the permit holder being placed into the partial share category. Thereafter, the rules pertaining to partial share permit holders provided in subparagraph (iv) above apply.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieTuna View Post
    You touched on some good points. I know 5 guys with commercial licenses. 3 of them openly brag how they are selling outside their license to restaurants and mom and pop fish markets, so it doesn't go on their total. This is more widespread than you think. These abuses have to be stopped with higher fines and better enforcement.

As for the out of state guys, I don't think you can stop them from fishing, as you said. What you can do is make their license cost 10x what a resident pays. Or prove that 50% of their income came from commercial fishing. This is not without precedent. Alaska, Florida, and many other states have license fee differentials for in-state vs out of state. This seems like the fairest in the long run.
    CT is right on the $$ about this. Way too much abuse in the commercial permit area. 30 fish a day is too much of a temptation for the sleazebags who want to cheat. Another solution is to cut the commercial harvest/day, down to 10 or 15 bass. This would give the hardworking MA fishermen a longer season. Then, once quota is reached, shut it down.

That might make it harder for the out of state guys who come up here trailering their $50k boats to make their $20k in a months time. I'm not looking to get into a war of state vs state, but you can tell who these guys are. It's like a gold rush for some of them. And I'm sorry if anyone is offended by this, but I don't like them. They come up here to rape our resource.

I think they need to concentrate on the abuses as well. Dark did a good job pointing out that recreationals kill most of the fish. This happens because every year you have more people taking up striped bass fishing. Also, with all the closures and restrictions, people spending their dollars on the party boat circuit would naturally prefer to target bass.
    This will explode in our faces. I think there will be resistance to modifications until we reach the point that some of the year classes are wiped out. I see a long slow rebuilding process like we had in the 1980s. I hope I am in error. Like it was said, there is too much polarization and not enough people willing to work together. Fine job Dark.

I like some of the articles on the stripers forever site. They seem reasonable. When you talk about buying out commercial fishermen who catch less than the rest of the people, that part i find hard to understand. Like everyone said, there should be something in between that can be worked on. I'm definitely ok with only allowing one keeper per trip for everyone. My .02.

Default one keeper only

It would be so much easier if they made it one keeper for the whole east coast.

The commerical fishermen don't look too kindly on stripers forever. The article is three pages but worth reading.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wires...9601383&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    I like some of the articles on the stripers forever site. They seem reasonable. When you talk about buying out commercial fishermen who catch less than the rest of the people, that part i find hard to understand. Like everyone said, there should be something in between that can be worked on. I'm definitely ok with only allowing one keeper per trip for everyone. My .02.

I wondered if people are aware of the regs in Rhode Island. Rhode island permits commercial fishing but limits the guys to 5/day. That seems like a more reasonable number. You're hardly going to get a gold rush of guys entering the state for that limit. Sounds like a good plan to me.

"While Massachusetts fishermen can also fish Rhode Island waters for striped bass, they can only take five fish per day per fisherman while Massachusetts allows daily catch limits of 30 fish per fisherman. "