There were so many I can't post them all or my fingers will fall off.

I'm just gonna post the ones that seemed to offer a different perpective. These are all paraphrased as I heard them:

1. Willie Hatch, cf, Falmouth
"The ASMFC 11-19-09 report says the resource is in good condition. Female sb are at 148% and 180% over target. If there is an availibility problem, maybe it is the fault of the seals, less bait, or more pollution.
Since 2004 there has been a slight decline in my catches. To blame cf is unjust.
sf is a special interest group that wants the fish all to themselves. The stock is not overfished, it is sustainable. "

2. Dean Carton, rf,

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6633.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	9321
"I used to be a cf, now my thinking has changed. sb should be protected from commercial exploitation like other animals, like the deer and waterfowl are."
Mr Carton presented letters from -

a. Arthur Brownell, a Commissioner of Mass F&G from 1968-76. Mr Brownell said the rec value of striped bass far exceeded the comm value. The tourists will no longer come to MA if the bass stocks collapse.

b. Ted Williams - Ted Williams has a well-known article, reviewed here, Striper Signals, beginning with post #20:
http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...p?t=760&page=2

c. Capt Jimmy Elliot

3. Richard _____, cf,
former member of MA legislature, now a cf:
"I have been cf since I left the legislature. This bill takes away from the ability of cf to earn a living. Commercial mortality is very low and should be regulated by the DMF. If any further regulation is needed, you should go to the DMF and demand stricter regs."

4. David Halbinson, rf, and charter captain, Halston, MA, speaking in support of the bill
"60 yrs fishing... there has been a precipitous drop in rf catches since 2006 according to NOAA and NMFS.
DMF striped bass permit breakdown:
What is the distribution of those who sell fish?
a. Only 453 reported they actually sold fish. That means approx 9% of permit holders sold 73% of all fish.
b. The total income brought into MA by all cf license holders is approx $3.4mm before taxes. This translates to approx $2800/yr. Assuming costs of doing business, I find it hard to believe these guys who are cf are making around $2800/year or substantially less on selling bass.

Are these figures and reported income accurate? Someone needs to look at this. "

5. Dennis Gebrallis, cf, Hyannis -
"No one makes 100% of their income striped bass fishing. Leave us alone, we are only a small part of the catch."

6. Peter Budryk, rf, free lance Author - fishing 50 yrs

Name:	IMGP6635.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	9322
I am "for" the gamefish bill. Most commercial fishermen are honest, I agree with that statement.

However, the commercial permit system is being abused, and it is time the gov't or some governing body looks into it.
Remember the demise of the buffalo? At one time they were all over the land. Bluefin tuna now have a similar situation. Market fishing for these bluefin is extremely lucrative. The sizes are geting smaller and smaller every year. The same thing is happening to our striped bass. It's time to stand up and do something about it.
I'm a writer on Cape Cod, and have been writing for 60 years. I have seen that there are individuals on both sides who are abusing this system, BOTH commercial and recreational.
Therefore, it can be said that BOTH groups are stealing this shared resource form the American public."

7. John Creed, cf, Sandwich Mass
"I've been fishing since I was 10 years old. Why are you worried about the catches of 23 people?
The fish are all offshore now where the food is.
I don't know where they spawn and I don't care. I only know all the fish are offshore and out of reach of most people. That is why they are saying there is less of them. '

8. Martha's Vineyard Striped Bass Association - cf

Name:	IMGP6637.JPG 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	9323
"We need sb as part of our diversified fishery. We fish for TAC - total allowable catch, and will soon be participating in catch shares developed by Dr Lubchenko."

9. Menemsha fishing assoc - cf

Name:	IMGP6638.JPG 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	9324
"We don't know where you are getting your low figures from. We all caught over 6000lbs each last year."

10. Stan Barry - cf - Boston fish wholesaler

Name:	IMGP6585.JPG 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	9325
"I have customers around the world who plan their season around buying and eating striped bass. They will not eat farmed striped bass and prefer wild striped bass. If I cannot provide it to them, I will lose these customers."