Thread: Report: MA gamefish bill meeting

Hybrid View

6. Representative Matthew Patrick: (Representing Recs) from Bourne, Mashpee, Barnstable

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6615.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	9310

"The overall biomass is not down, but breeding females are down as a % of this total number.

We have seen a decline in breeding females. Females are always the biggest fish when you are talking about bass larger than 30". That is why it's necessary to protect them.

During the Moratorium put in place by the lower states, the Chesapeake Bay stocks had crashed because large females were aggressively targeted by anglers.

I am a fisherman, and have some experience fishing for striped bass.

Striped bass represent a billion dollars yearly of revenue in MA, if you look at all the aggregate economic activity generated by Recreational anglers here and elsewhere coming to fish for them.

Commercial fishing represents about $24 million of yearly revenue based on the aggregate effect.

The business of fishing and its related industries is either the largest or 2nd largest revenue stream in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

This bill represents a "starting point" Don't leave it up to the DMF. They were the ones in charge many years ago when the stocks collapsed.

We cannot sustain a collapse of this magnitude again.

Some studies and results have shown - (documents available for the committee's review)
    a. Consistently taking large fish changes the gene pool. Bigger fish are genetically superior, and there is some concern that eliminating them or reducing their numbers encourages less genetically fit fish to become a bigger part of the biomass.

b. 3000 Commercial permits were taken out in 2008, at a fee of $65. Of those 3000, only 1207 permit holders reported catching any fish. It is my understanding that they do this to ensure a consistent portion of quota is given to commercial fishermen.

c. Advisory warnings - several states now have advisory warnings against women and children eating too many striped bass because the larger ones have higher PCB concentrations.

I am not a man who wants to put these commercial fishermen out of work. I don't want to see their livelihood taken away. If there was a way to restrict fishing in some way by contacting the DMF and restricting commercial fishermen from harvesting big females and still allowing them to fish, I would be all for it.

I would also bring your attention to the Southwick study publicized by StripersForever. The goal of all of us should be to look at the breeding females and figure out how to protect them.

Here are my recommendations in addition to supporting this bill:
    1. Figure out a way to save the spawning females.
    2. Find a way to buy out commercial fishermen so they are not financially impacted if we pass this gamefish bill.
    3. I would like to see a slot fish limit of 20-26", and the number of keeper bass reduced from 2 to 1. "

7. Senator Bruce E Tarr (Representing Comms)

Name:	IMGP6620.JPG 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	9311

"I am completely against this bill. With my dying breath I will not support anything that takes away from the livelihood of commercial fishermen."

Sidebar:
    [ Senator Tarr has a working relationship with Senator Patrick]

For anyone who was not happy with the results of the hearing, you would be well advised to proceed according to the above info. Encourage these 2 legislators to work together on some kind of a reasonable compromise.

IMO if any of the lawmakers have the incentive and inclination to make anything happen, it will not happen without the support and agreement of these 2 gentlemen.

8. Representative D'Amico: (Representing the Recs)

Name:	IMGP6618.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	83.4 KB 
ID:	9312

"I support this bill. The state of Texas had redfish declared a gamefish. Therefore, this action in Massachusetts is not unprecedented. It brought substantially more tourist dollars into the state after they did this.

Value comparisons:
    The dollar value of striped bass to this state from recreational fishing is 48x the amount we receive from Commercial fishing. That is a significant difference, and a value we would continue to receive and possibly have increased as a result of passing this bill."

Sidebar: Article mentioning the passage of the redfish gamefish bill in Texas, and the subsequent results:

http://www.lsonews.com/20071023218/P...-red-drum.html

President George W. Bush signs an Executive Order to protect striped bass and red drum

Written by Mark England Tuesday, 23 October 2007

President George W. Bush signs an Executive Order to protect the striped bass and red drum fish populations Saturday, Oct. 20, 2007, at the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum in St. Michaels, Md. President Bush is joined during the signing by, from left, Michael Nussman, president of American Sportfishing Association; Brad Burns, president of Stripers Forever; David Pfeifer, president of Shimano America Corp.; Walter Fondren, chairman of Coastal Conservation Association; U.S. Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez; U.S. Rep. Wayne Gilchrest of Maryland and U.S. Secretary of Interior Dirk Kempthorne. White House photo by Eric Draper

Recreational anglers came up big Saturday when President George W. Bush signed an order banning the commercial harvesting of redfish and striped bass in federal waters.

While both species were already protected, a spokesman for the American Sportfishing Association said the order is more than window dressing. Gordon Robertson noted federal regulations as written were subject to change.

"With this order, they can never be changed," he said.

Robertson added, "It will be a huge benefit to the sportsman and the resource."

The Oct. 20th order doesn't prohibit the commercial sale of redfish and stripers produced by aquaculture. However, harvesters can't touch either species within the "Exclusive Economic Zone of the United States," or 200 miles beyond state waters.

In a radio address, Bush said he acted to "preserve our fisheries." "These two species were once abundant in American waters, but their stocks were overfished," Bush said.

Officials for the Coastal Conservation Association and Stripers Forever – both of which campaigned arduously for the – praised the conservation order.

"When CCA began to work on recovering red drum 30 years ago in Texas, we never imagined an event like this would ever be possible," said Chairman Walter W. Fondren III. "We owe a debt of gratitude to the president for recognizing the high value placed on these resources by the citizens of this country."

SF President Bradford Burns said the order represents Bush's realization that the game fish designation will lead to the best use of the two species.

"Socioeconomic studies show that the industry this fishery represents is many more times valuable than that represented by harvesting these same fish commercially," Burns said.

A Texas Parks and Wildlife official agreed.

“Recreational fishing is a $2 billion industry in Texas, while commercial fishing is a $100-200 million industry," said Larry McKinney, director of the Coastal Fisheries Division. "We’ve been stressing that for years.”

President George W. Bush is shown a fish caught by Melissa Fischer, left, by her husband, Chris Fischer, aboard a fishing boat Saturday, Oct. 20, 2007 off the coast of St. Michaels, Md., in the Chesapeake Bay, during a television interview with the Fischers, hosts of ESPN¹s Offshore Adventures. President Bush talked about his love of the outdoors and the Executive Order signed earlier in the day to protect striped bass and red drum fish species. White House photo by Eric Draper

News of Bush's order thrilled a Texas guide who specializes in fishing for redfish.

"It will really help us," said James Fox, who runs a guide service in Rockport. "It will stop all the commercial fishing for redfish."

Fox called the order "absolute protection" for redfish. McKinney noted that federal waters are where redfish are most at risk.

"That's where they reproduce and where they are always vulnerable," he said.

Redfish were declared a game fish in Texas waters in 1981.

"Following that, our stocks went up 100 percent," McKinney said.

In 1987, the commercial harvest of redfish was also banned in federal waters. The impact of the ban was dramatic. The commercial harvest of redfish dropped from 14 million pounds in 1986 to 22,000 pounds in 2006. Meanwhile, the recreational catch of redfish jumped from 3.5 million in 1986 to 9.8 million in 2006.

As far as striped bass, they're a scarce resource off the Texas coast -- given the dams found along most rivers that drain into the Gulf, although some have been caught in the Sabine Lake area in recent years.

Commercial harvesters reacted angrily to the order.

Bob Jones, executive director of Southeast Fisheries (a commercial fishing trade group based in Tallahassee, Fla.), noted the order came as the Gulf of Mexico Fisheries Management Council was trying to determine if the redfish stock could support a limited commercial harvest.

Jones called Bush's order an unprecedented resource grab.

"He gave all of the fish to the CCA," Jones told the Mobile Press-Register. "What he is doing is totally opposite from the process that has been in place with Magnuson-Stevens since 1976."

TPW's McKinney said the order came at an opportune time as pressure was building to open up redfish and striped bass to commercial harvesting.

"From our perspective, we hope this will keep that to a minimum," he said. "From an economic standpoint, you can't justify it. They're both far more valuable as a recreational resource than as a commercial resource."

Default Public Comments

They then opened the floor to any groups or individuals who wanted to speak, and had pre-registered.

I'm getting tired of the typing. I'll use the following abbreviations:

sb = striped bass
    cf = commercial fishing
    rf = recreational fishing
    sf = stripers forever
    mv = Martha's vineyard
    cc = Cape Cod
    ccchfa = Cape Cod commercial hook fisherman's assoc

Default Stripers Forever

SF was one of the sponsors of the bill. They had a few people up at the table:

1. Craig Coldwell:

Name:	IMGP6631.JPG 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	9313

"Striped bass financed the first schools in MA. They were the first fish ever to be managed by the states. SB are the most important recreational fish in terms of dollar activity.
    Fishing is the #1 past-time in the US, according to dollars spent.
    MA has a history of being a leader in conservation.
    Of our neighbors, 6 of 13 do not allow the commercial sale of sb."

2. A marine biologist, and another person (I didn't get the names)

3. **** Russell - author of the Striper Wars...

Mr Russell is to the Left in this pic

Name:	IMGP6597.JPG 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	9315

a book chronicling the history of striper fishing in the US, the amazing abundance, the devastating decline, and the remarkable comeback story.
    " In terms of the number of breeding females, we are at the same declining levels we were at before the striped bass crash in the late 1970s which resulted in the striped bass Moratorium in 1982."

The presentation was extremely professional, with great charts and graphs. Maybe it was too professional.

Name:	IMGP6632.jpg 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	9314

The commercial fishermen, as if on cue, referred to them as a "special interest group".

SF spoke about the decline of the striped bass fishery as noted by many respected charter captains, fishing guides, and fishermen who are outdoor writers. Some people who have a lot of credibility have been saying that the size of striped bass overall has been declining since 2004.

They mentioned the Southwick study, the fact that YOY studies in the Chesapeake, and several respected sources in the Striper fishing world seem to agree that there has been a decline in the number of larger (female) bass in the last few years.

They tried to give qualitative and quantitative evidence for the decline of the fishery.

Here's a link to their site:

Striped bass - Why a gamefish?
    http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/gamefish

Some interesting research:
    http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/Stripers_Research/

Ted Williams - Striped bass headed for a crash? FRR July 2009
    http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/...uly%202009.pdf

Poaching by commercial fishermen in MA:
    http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/...44.0/Seize.pdf

Al Ristori talks about the affect of gamefish status in NJ:
    http://www.stripersforever.org/Info/...20rebuttal.pdf

All in favor of DS quitting his daytime job and becoming a RF lobbyist

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

What does RF stand for ya grouchy bassturd?

I'm tired of all this typing. I know progress wasn't made yesterday. I should just give it up already, right?

As for the SF proposal, it's not a good idea to mount a program in a recession that will allegedly take jobs away from people. At least awareness was raised.

All the crabbing you do every day when ya talk to me has turned me into grouchy old bassturd II.

I try to be objective. However, I know you and many other people in the shadows who don't want to get involved any more. Every day I get to hear real stories about a declining fishery.

If you only fish in one state, and don't pay attention to what happens N or S of you, you might not be able to see the big picture. If you have a boat to get in the middle of the biggest bass, you would swear that the fishery is perfectly fine.

When Bob Pond first started talking about conservation and founded Stripers Unlimited, people made fun of him. They ridiculed him behind his back, and thought he was delusional as well.

They called him "Chicken little".

Eventually, they began to understand some of the things he was talking about on their own. Today, most people realize that Bob Pond was way ahead of his time and could see things that others couldn't.

Don't be ready to lump me in as a Rec Fishing lobbyist just yet. I have some serious issues with the recreational industry, the NJ bonus tags, and how we as recreationals report our catches, and the ego and greed I have witnessed first hand on the part of many recreational guys.

Those things have to somehow be addressed if the striped bass fishery will continue to exist as a sustainable one.

As it is now, I maintain it isn't sustainable, and the landings, as most recently reported, will continue to decline. The latest stats for this were revealed at the hearing, and both sides made mention of it.

If it's not addressed by addressing the hidden issues, and the increased pressure placed on bass by all the other closures, the landings could continue to decline. I stand by that statement.

Don't take my word for it, I'm just a goog with a white bucket!

That's why I take such time to record and document stories by you, Finchaser the Old Grouchy Bassturd, Gunny/aka Stripercoast1, LilcoJoe from Montauk, Surfwalker, Clamchucker, etc, etc, and the many old-timers I have been fortunate to meet, who ask me to continue to speak out, because they're tired of preaching when no one seems to be listening.

And I'll continue to speak out, as long as I have you to fire me up with your rants and raves.