Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
6. Representative Matthew Patrick: (Representing Recs) from Bourne, Mashpee, Barnstable

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP6615.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	9310

b. 3000 Commercial permits were taken out in 2008, at a fee of $65. Of those 3000, only 1207 permit holders reported catching any fish. It is my understanding that they do this to ensure a consistent portion of quota is given to commercial fishermen.

. The goal of all of us should be to look at the breeding females and figure out how to protect them.

Here are my recommendations in addition to supporting this bill:
1. Figure out a way to save the spawning females.
2. Find a way to buy out commercial fishermen so they are not financially impacted if we pass this gamefish bill.
3. I would like to see a slot fish limit of 20-26", and the number of keeper bass reduced from 2 to 1. "
Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
4. David Halbinson, rf, and charter captain, Halston, MA, speaking in support of the bill
"60 yrs fishing... there has been a precipitous drop in rf catches since 2006 according to NOAA and NMFS.
DMF striped bass permit breakdown:
What is the distribution of those who sell fish?
a. Only 453 reported they actually sold fish. That means approx 9% of permit holders sold 73% of all fish.
b. The total income brought into MA by all cf license holders is approx $3.4mm before taxes. This translates to approx $2800/yr. Assuming costs of doing business, I find it hard to believe these guys who are cf are making around $2800/year or substantially less on selling bass.

Are these figures and reported income accurate? Someone needs to look at this. "
I didn't study every post in this thread but those 2 jumped out at me. There's no way those guys are only making $2800/year bass fishing.
I have a friend who owns a pizzeria. He tried to tell the IRS he was making 20k a year while he was making $80k. They almost put my friend in jail for one year of misstated income. He had to sell his house and move in with the parents so he wouldn't go to jail because the penalties were so high and they were going to seize his business. If the IRS can audit pizza joints they should audit commercial fishmen. Some of those guys have to be lying I hope they get caught.