Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
And by the way if we do away with bonus tags the bass allotted to that program will be given to the general commercial quota.
You and I are gonna have to disagree on this one Fin. I know what you're saying is the truth. I researched it, and learned things can't always be looked at in black and white.
However, the loose regulation of this NJ bonus tag program is a serious issue. I know most fishermen out there are honest and want to respect the regs. Possessing that tag gives the dishonest ones a chance to cheat, and get away with it very easily.

They only risk getting caught on the small chance they are stopped by a DFG officer. Otherwise, possessing the tag gives the dishonest ones carte blanche to take 3 keepers every time they go out until they're stopped.

If we want to complain about the poaching and reg violating the cf are doing, we need to look at ourselves and make sure our own hands aren't bloody.

So IMO even though we would give up that allocation to another coastal state, so be it. I don't think we will ever, or should try to, eliminate all forms of commercial fishing in every state.

However we must do a better job of regulating the areas in BOTH cf and rf that are easily abused. If not we'll never get a true handle on the actual striper landings.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
Many people in charge of fisheries managment are appointed and have no marine biology training but plenty of time on their hands to institute these lame programs.

You have much to learn grasshopper,but it is all part of your lobbyist training so you can educate them.
I get a and 2 s from you? That is the ultimate compliment, I'm honored!

The great lie in fisheries management is that they represent the fishermen fairly. How could they, if they've removed many of the fishermen committee members, one by one?