Thread: Report: MA gamefish bill meeting

Hybrid View

I like some of the articles on the stripers forever site. They seem reasonable. When you talk about buying out commercial fishermen who catch less than the rest of the people, that part i find hard to understand. Like everyone said, there should be something in between that can be worked on. I'm definitely ok with only allowing one keeper per trip for everyone. My .02.

Default one keeper only

It would be so much easier if they made it one keeper for the whole east coast.

The commerical fishermen don't look too kindly on stripers forever. The article is three pages but worth reading.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wires...9601383&page=1

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    I like some of the articles on the stripers forever site. They seem reasonable. When you talk about buying out commercial fishermen who catch less than the rest of the people, that part i find hard to understand. Like everyone said, there should be something in between that can be worked on. I'm definitely ok with only allowing one keeper per trip for everyone. My .02.

I wondered if people are aware of the regs in Rhode Island. Rhode island permits commercial fishing but limits the guys to 5/day. That seems like a more reasonable number. You're hardly going to get a gold rush of guys entering the state for that limit. Sounds like a good plan to me.

"While Massachusetts fishermen can also fish Rhode Island waters for striped bass, they can only take five fish per day per fisherman while Massachusetts allows daily catch limits of 30 fish per fisherman. "