Thread: Politically incorrect reason behind the plug frenzy?

Default Politically incorrect reason behind the plug frenzy?

I went to the Asbury show today, great show. Waited in line, made it for two of Gary's plugs. But I will fish them, and fish them hard, because they catch fish!

Talked to a few people about the insanity. Compared to Habs. The thing is, no more Habs will be made, ever. Sure he was a great builder. I've read so many stories of his generosity, and how he was the nicest guy you ever could meet. Sometimes even gave plugs away to guys who got caught up in a blitz.

What puzzled me is before today Gary plugs have been easy to get for years, either at shows, or in the shops nearby. I don't really know Gary well, but have seen him only a few times. I think he is a great builder. He builds plugs for the regular fisherman to fish.

But his health is not the greatest. I asked myself How Many of the guys buying are hoarding, waiting for the day Gary is no longer around? That sounded sick to me, until I got into conversations with other buyers today. Without me mentioning it, 2 random strangers mentioned maybe the hype was because some people were greedily betting on Gary not being around too much longer!!

That's a sick reason to buy plugs!!! I don't collect. Only fish what I got, beat the crap out of them if the fish are around. How many have heard the same sick rumors, and are willing to come forward and admit it?

That may be a little harsh, but it's possible it's partly true. I would never buy a plug for that reason. Most of my plugs get destroyed eventually. I have some beaters for the blues. You can't always predict when a good bass bite will be invaded by blues. Just finished re-sanding and painting all my torn up plugs for the spring - where's the fish!

kinda heard somethin similar to that. Don't think that should be talked about here. Too disrespectful

Don't see what's wrong with bringing it out in the open. Half of what you hear is truth, the other half lies and rumors. Can't hurt to talk about the half that might be true.

I was thinking about this a little more. Gary and Lefty are 2 of the older plug builders. They both build amazing looking plugs, but I saw some of the other builders - they seemed about the same ages. So who knows.

I don't think there is anything that can be done. People always do what they want anyway.

Maybe it sounds disrespectful, but I think people are like vultures, waiting for him to die. Look what happened to Habs' plugs. Turns my stomach.

I think there is a lot of hype here. There are many other plugmakers who make great wood. Big water lures, just to name one, has an outstanding selection, finish is very professional. I like the deep diver and jointed eel.

But he's not the only one. Every plug maker seems to have his niche. I think Gary and Lefty make great plugs, but agree there is too much hype surrounding those makers.