Thread: Techniques: Metal lure or tins:

Hybrid View

Default Spring metal modification for slammer blues

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Take the trebel off and replace it with single hook teaser depending on the weight of the lure. I use 2 & 3 oz. so I replace them with usually 5/0 VMC or when the gorillas are around I'll even use a 6/0 you really can't hurt a metals action too much unlike other plugs which could be thrown off by larger hooks.
    I just wanted to add a few thoughts to these posts. (btw great thread, Surfstix. )

When the big bluefish are around you don't want to spend a lot of time ripping treble hooks out of their mouths because you lose fishin time. That great action going on in front of you could be over in 5 minutes, or 5 hours.

Before going after the bigger blues the other day I swapped out some hooks for some larger ones. I know I could have used ones better suited for the metal size, but these were the ones I had handy at that moment and I had to get it done and get out there.

As the bigger blues leave, the ones I don't lose I'll swap out the hooks again for more average sized ones like the 5/0s Surfstix was talking about.

Just thought people might want to see a pic of metals that have been working. BTW yesterday, the Ava jig with white or green tube was crushing the blues at the 3rd spot we moved to, whereas at another spot it was all about a wider profile spoon or metal, like gator, kroc, or kastmaster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8284.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	10896

I have also been swapping out the cheap split rings with Wolverine HD split rings. All you have to do is lose one big fish due to a crappy split ring before you realize how important they are.

Default Tips and tricks for metal

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Yes and you can also get them with a surgical tube.I think these lures come w/ some of the best hooks in the business they very seldom bend or straighten out.I tie my own because I like to carry a couple of different colors with me and just change out the tailhook.
    I'm also now buying hooks with surgical tubes by the 10-pk and swapping out some of my more worn tubes with these new ones. I tend to buy the larger ones as I feel they offer more action.

One of the tiimes this could work against you is when small bait is around and albies are around. In that case a big tail makes too long of a profile. These are all things a good fisherman thinks about.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    When the big bluefish are around you don't want to spend a lot of time ripping treble hooks out of their mouths because you lose fishin time. That great action going on in front of you could be over in 5 minutes, or 5 hours.
    Yup yup, and don't fish teasers when the big blues are around. I can't understand why guys would do that this time of year. Wait till they leave and you can target bass. What's the use of having two 12lb blues on at the same time, it's shear insanity.

I just saw this when browsing the surf threads. Very informative and helpful, thanks for sharing.
    One thing I would add is when large sand eels are around, you can add a tube or rubber sand eel to the single hook to give it a longer profile. Sometimes this is the difference between catching and not catching.

Default Cold water, slower retrieve

As the water gets colder, I slow down the retrieve of the tins. Or, I keep it steady, and then periodically jig it up and down like a dying baitfish. This is easier to do from a boat, but if you practice enough in the surf you will get the hang of it. A slight difference in retrieve can get you more fish. You just have to experiment to see what works for that time and place.

^ That's very detailed advice surfstix. Great thread and advice guys! I like the erratic retrieve when I am not catching as well. You have to keep experimenting until you find something that works.

I think someone mentioned it already, but you can play around with the retrieval speed. Fish have different behavior. One day they want you to burn it past them, even if the water is cold. Generally, as the water temps drop I try to slow my retrieve down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    One day they want you to burn it past them, even if the water is cold.
    Today they wanted you do do that. I also jigged up and down a little with my retrieve. Got 8 bass and lost a lot more, it was fantastic fishing.