Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Techniques: Metal lure or tins:

Default Re: Techniques: Metal lure or tins:

Nice looking metals. Who made those teasers?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Nice looking metals. Who made those teasers?
    I am thinking Ron Of Jersey Ghost, they were on the lures when he gave them to me.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Someone elsewhere mentioned that the T-Hex was the only thing he ever fished when the metal bite was on, period.
    I think that was being short-sighted and limiting his fishing....

Here are some thoughts I had, feel free to add yours.....

.I don't live close to some of the action...If I spend the gas to drive down to fish I'm not going home till I'm sure there isn't one single fish left in the area I'm in, or that I have exhausted all possibilities...at that point, is when I feel like I have given it my best and will finally concede....

Just something to think about, that's all..
    I was going to go into more detail about some of these posts as they apply to the 2013 bluefish bite.
    As the water (generally) has been colder this Spring than usual, these bluefish, in my experience, have been somewhat sluggish.

Coupled with the fact that in most instances, the smaller bluefish can't feed on the bunker, and only have one or two kinds of bait (all small) to choose from, the bite has been very specific at times.....

I am now carrying about 7 different kinds and sizes of metals with me...

The bite has been so specific, for me, that in the beginning if I didn't have the right metal I would see others out-catch me at least by a 2:1 margin.....after getting schooled so many times I changed things and started carrying more metal......

I don't have as much time anymore for these page-long posts.
    Some of ya's are probably very happy to hear that....

Before I post my thoughts, I figured I would ask you folks out there...
    (Thanks to Surfstix for starting this thread, BTW....)

1.What are you now doing differently with metals or tins, to catch these picky bluefish that some of us have been seeing?
    2. How and Why do you decide to change a style of metal, so that your catch rate goes up?

Sometimes I just change the tailhook color or size of the tin,naturally different retrieve speeds or a slow bounce off the bottom general idea is to make it appear as a worm taking off this is done at a snails pace with gentle lifts of your rod in between slow cranks of the reel.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    I2. How and Why do you decide to change a style of metal, so that your catch rate goes up?
    Dark, I have noticed that for the last few weeks the rainfish have been getting thicker. Normally around this time of year I see different kinds but it seems the rainfish are dominating where I am fishing. So I have downsized my metals and have gotten blues pretty much every time out there. Hey they are only small blues but at least they are something. I am using an ava 007 with redgill teaser. What are you guys using to score?

I want to thank you for this thread. Came up to nnj to fish for bluefish today and got 10 but missed about 310. I always thought they would be more insane or aggressive in the spring. If any one has any other tips for tossing metal in the spring I would appreciate it. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by seamonkey View Post
    I want to thank you for this thread. Came up to nnj to fish for bluefish today and got 10 but missed about 310. I always thought they would be more insane or aggressive in the spring. If any one has any other tips for tossing metal in the spring I would appreciate it. thanks
    They are still lethargic from the colder water temps. Even during the hot action periods I haven't been able to raise one on top water. Throw a swimmer, bucktail or metal and get one the next cast.

Bluefish have a reputation of being aggressive and hitting anything that moves but that's not always true in the spring although most guys won't admit to having a hard time catching bluefish. Lol

The guys who caught the most today and Saturday were all fishing the bottom water column. Bucktail or Ava's fished deep and retrieved quickly.
    A week of sunny days and we should have all the popper and spook action we want

I see in the other thread you suffered from cut offs. I caught about 50 - 75 bluefish since last Thursday and only had one cut off. I use 4-5ft of 50lb mono leader (60 - 80lb preferred I just ran out).

Avoid using small plugs like mag darters as a big 10-15lb blue can inhale the whole thing and cut you off. Same can be said for buck tails even though they are deadly on bluefish.

If you are getting that many missed hits and cut offs the first thing I would try is speeding up your retrieve. Allow your jig to sink and use the right weight for the water depth and current.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12