Thread: Thresher sharks from the surf?

Default Thresher sharks from the surf?

Did anyone ever try to get one from the surf? I read reports all the time that they are tearing up the bunker schools and bluefish. So would it be completely insane to try to fish for them? Do they come in close at night, or would it be better to try for them in the daytime. I am assuming you would throw out a big chunk of whatever they are eating, either bunker or bluefish heads, and maybe chum the water. I am also thinking it should be an isolated beach, you wouldn't want to bring in sharks near any bathers. So can anyone offer any pointers, or is it better to go offshore for them?

Down here on Delamrva, I can't remember a Thresher ever being caught from the surf. Better try the boat thing, IMO.

catch and release

Default depends on the forage

We have seen them within 500' of shore when on the boat. They will come in when there is an abundance of bait around. Maybe not in the bright sunlight, but you would be surprised how close many shark species come in at night. Here is a comment from another site-

"was fishing lavalette last august, starting catching cocktail blues around 8pm after about a dozen landed getting dark said 1 more, bring it it rod doubles over, fish peels out over 350 yards of line at an amazing speed (50lb braid van staal 400 yrds of line) after 1 hour in the moonlight see a thresher shark well over 300lbs broke off shortly thereafter. pretty wild stuff."

Here is a great story I just read. Surfcaster got a thresher sunday morning fishing the south shore with a needlefish. Unreal.
    "I had a very interesting catch plugging for Bass Sunday AM, caught this Thresher along with 2 Bass and a Bluefish. In my 35 years surfcasting, I never hooked a Thresher from the surf plugging! It was an awesome fight and the Shark jumped 3X' and then grey-hounded for the horizon. My stars lined up on this fish. BTW, I released the Thresher who swam away un-harmed!
    Attachment 18860
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 154523.jpg  

Does anyone have an idea when the thresher sharks and the browns will be here? Or is the water still way too cold. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nitestrikes View Post
    Here is a great story I just read. Surfcaster got a thresher sunday morning fishing the south shore with a needlefish. Unreal.
    "I had a very interesting catch plugging for Bass Sunday AM, caught this Thresher along with 2 Bass and a Bluefish. In my 35 years surfcasting, I never hooked a Thresher from the surf plugging! It was an awesome fight and the Shark jumped 3X' and then grey-hounded for the horizon. My stars lined up on this fish. BTW, I released the Thresher who swam away un-harmed!
    that's something I would love to do,try to land such a fish with my bigstick/7000 pro-rocket and 30lb mono.
    I'd try it for sure.
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Would be a hell of a ride I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    Does anyone have an idea when the thresher sharks and the browns will be here? Or is the water still way too cold. thanks
    Late June to July/August is the safe bet for the surf Brown's.

I did some shark fishing Monday off a buddies boat.

We released one small blue shark and had a big one next to the boat before the hook pulled. Our buddy boat had 3 blue's as well.

Water is still pretty cold out there.

it seems that the open water temps the last 3 years has been lower than the near shore water temps,I am not sure if it has always been this way but, it is odd.

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Courtesy of the OGB. Thresher sharks in the surf.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails threshers in surf.jpg  

Wow awesome pic thanks for sharing.

That is so unusual. Was that in NJ?

IBSP they chased bunker in

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Fantastic pic of those sharks finchaser. Have seen the whiptails at times just beyond the surf line when the bunker are thick but never that close in. thanks for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Have never seen or heard of thresher sharks in that close. Thank you for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Wow, that's a great pic. Thanks for posting it.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Truely amazing especially when you see 4 of them together at one time. Good thing they supposably like bunker and not peeple.