Quote Originally Posted by Stripercoast1 View Post
Bob had a big part in why I am the conservationist I am today.
It used to **** me off when I would hear one of the old timers call him, "Chicken Little" when they saw him coming.
It was one of the greatest honors of my life to have shared Striper water with him.

There's still a lot of that going on, Gunny.

For every one like you and some others out there who talks about how things used to be, and tries to warn what could happen if all we do is take and take.... there are 10 guys who will stand up and tell you how "you don't know what you are talking about, there are more bass around than there ever were, etc, etc". They point to a good season in the last year or 2 as "evidence" to back their claims.

You try to tell them about the consistent decline in the YOY studies, some of the other data that has surfaced in the last 4 years, and they tell you the figures, data, and anecdotal evidence is a figment of someone's imagination.

You, my friend, along with others who talk about conservation, are still in the minority.
The one postive thing I can say is that it seems when Bob Pond was preaching to people, he was one of a handful.
And, as you said, he was ridiculed, until people saw that "Chicken Little's" predictions came through, and we we had to endure a striped bass moratorium.

The momentum of data and long-time fishermen may be enough at this time to get people to hear the voices. As for listening to the words, hell, we all know that many guys only listen to half of any conversation anyway...

Only time will tell.
I want people to know if they have any doubts, they can contact you any time, and you'll back up your observations with data and years of observations from your logs.

Best wishes to you and your family for a Happy New Year, and thanks for sharing the stories...