Thread: Techniques: Fishing a Darter

Hybrid View

I'm fishing them more now. And plan on fishing them a real lot in 2016.
    I fish the Super Strike most, but throw some wood darters occasionally, with the exception of the Big Fischer Mega Darter below, I have not hooked up with the wood darters. Super Strike action last fall was good for me. Its amazing when I get some confidence in a plug, results are much better. Years of throwing the Super Strike Darter and nothing. Then in 2014 a few fish and in 2015 a few more and it becomes one of my most reliable plugs. Even got a feel for it in water with little current, and a few bass there.

This Big Fischer Darter gave me my best hour fishing. Found some fish in a rip and it hooked me up into 4 bass (including a new PB at 40 inches and with some weight). The 4th fish I lost and it felt bigger than the 40 inch bass.

White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

VERY nice bass on that darter. Do you feel that gold color made a difference or were they just hitting darters good that night?

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    VERY nice bass on that darter. Do you feel that gold color made a difference or were they just hitting darters good that night?
    Not sure, the water I was fishing was very good for that Darters action, I think that was the most important thing.
    I like Gold. The darter I caught most of my bass on last year was the Black top/gold bottom Super Strike darter.
    I think color means means something, the more I fish, the more I am narrowing down what I use.
    Whether its in my head that these colors work better and I have more confidence in them or that the fish see them better or the color triggers a strike, its what I am using a lot more of.

Confidence in any plug will catch more fish,it is the proper motion that puts fish on the beach.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Confidence in any plug will catch more fish,it is the proper motion that puts fish on the beach.

x 100.

Like your new LIBBA plate.Should we call you Mr.Long Island now...LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Not sure, the water I was fishing was very good for that Darters action, I think that was the most important thing.
    I like Gold. The darter I caught most of my bass on last year was the Black top/gold bottom Super Strike darter.
    I think color means means something, the more I fish, the more I am narrowing down what I use.
    Whether its in my head that these colors work better and I have more confidence in them or that the fish see them better or the color triggers a strike, its what I am using a lot more of.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Like your new LIBBA plate.Should we call you Mr.Long Island now...LOL
    Yes you can, LMAO.
    I'm a Long Islander in every way......except I live and work in Jersey.
    Not even going to register in the NJ Saltwater Registry this year.
    NJ fishing is dead to me.....for now.

Well I have my NC license but it seems to be a lot of boat fishing here and I don't plan on buying a boat.I spent most of my life learning what I know about surf fishing,but that seems to be of little use here for now until I get things figured out.Starting over learning the patterns and the when and where the fish are around.I have been meeting more NY'ers down here then locals it is like living in NY down south..
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Starting over learning the patterns and the when and where the fish are around.I have been meeting more NY'ers down here then locals it is like living in NY down south..
    My uncle lives on the west coast of fla and says the same thing. What part of NY are most of the people you are meeting from?

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    NJ fishing is dead to me.....for now.
    wow Harsh words much, dude?
    What did NJ ever do to you?

Quote Originally Posted by cowherder View Post
    wow Harsh words much, dude?
    What did NJ ever do to you?