Thread: Fishing at night

Default Fishing at night

When I go out onto the rocks I get caught up quite often because I can't see when my line is close to the rocks. How can I avoid this?

Practice ! I go by the angle the line comes off tip when held up.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

First off, it will happen. Second is that you need too slow down. That is the biggest problem in losing plugs to rocks, not bucktails mind you, is that you may be reeling too fast and digging in.

If you are you using sinking needles, use floaters instead in shallow rocky areas. If you are getting metal lips caught up then slow down, same with bottles and swimmers. They will normally bounce the lip off the rock if retrieved slow enough, kinda like a freshwater crankbait off of a stump.

Bucktails are throw away lures. They are meant to lose in the rocks. As are rubber shads. All I can say is keep your tip up to try and avoid this although sometimes it just does not matter.

Sometimes it just happens. It sucks, but it happens.

If you do feel like you are caught up then DO NOT YANK OR PULL HARD. This will dig it in more. You can sometimes get your lure unhooked by giving a quick snap to the tip. Just think of like an opposite slingshot. This sometimes works but no guarantees.

If you know your lure is stuck for good then don't pull up on your rod. Make sure you pull straight back with your rod in-line with your line. If you have something to wrap the line around so it does not dig into the spool, even better. Hold the spool as you pull back so the line doesn't just peel off then wait for the snap.

Thanks for the advise on that one there Frankie.... Sometimes I just yank thinking it's a monsta.