Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Fishing reports for May 2008

Default NY Fishing reports for May 2008

Important when registering on our site use an active email address so you can activate account to be able to post.

Please post fishing reports here.......as little or as much detail as you want to give.

Please note: NO SPOT BURNING! Posts burning spots will be Edited or DELETED!
    Some veteran fishermen have put in years developing and learning about certain spots.Some of these spots can only handle a few guys at a time. We are losing enough access as it is, due to the unfortunate behavior of a few selfish people. No sense in making it worse.

For some areas, it would be wiser to say:
    OutFront (Ocean) OR -- OutBack (Bay) -- if you feel too many people will figure out what you are talking about. "Spot burning" also could involve mentioning something specific only to that area. If you do this, your post may be edited, or deleted. Remember that thousands of people could potentially read these posts. You don't want to be fishing next to ALL of them at the same time!

IF you are fishing an area that is NOT residential, being vague is less critical. For example, it's acceptable to say (Any)Park, or (Any)Bay, or mention a specific state park that has loads of parking and can handle the crowds.

If you are unclear on this concept, ask yourself:

If I name this place on the internet, will it be too crowded for me to enjoy tomorrow when people hear I got 30 fish here today?

If the answer is "Yes", then you should probably not be so specific.

We post these reports so our community will have a sense of what is working, what is not. We want to show people how to catch fish, rather than where.Even if you struck out or got skunked, it would be helpful to hear that as well.

If you have any additional details you would like to share - weather conditions, tide (incoming, outgoing, ebb, flood) water temps, bait present, or other mention of techniques or plugs used - feel free, as long as you are not overly specific about location.

Some acronyms -

BP -- Breezy Point

CB -- CrossBay Bridge
    CI -- Coney Island

FB -- Floyd Bennett
    FI -- Fire Island
    FT -- Fort Tilden Park
    FW -- Fort Wadsworth

GSB - Great South Bay
    GK- Great Kills

Jones -- Jones Beach/Debs
    WE -- West End

JB -- Jamaica Bay
    LB -- Long Beach

MB -- Manhasset Bay
    MI -- Moriches Inlet or nearby
    MPP -- Marine Parkway Bridge

LNB - Little Neck Bay
    OB -- Oyster Bay
    PB -- Peconic Bay

RM -- Robert Moses

SB -- Sheepshead Bay

Shinny -- Shinnecock Inlet or nearby
    SI -- Staten Island
    ST -- Sore Thumb

NS -- North Shore
    SS -- South Shore

Mecca -- if you gotta ask where that is, can't help ya

Fished FI early this morning, inlet area, couple big blues using tsunamis, sunrise bite, one small bass bucktail.

SI last night, big bluefish bite from 6-9:30pm, many blues up to 10 lbs, mostly meat. After that, it was pretty dead. Saw some small bass caught on clams.

Watched decent size bass and bluefish blow up on bunker for 2 hours late at night, fish were 250' out, outta reach, left a pile of drool in the spot where I stood.

Met some amazing plug builders out there. One guy makes all his plugs by hand, another uses the lathe. sweet work, I tried my best to ho one, but you will never see these at the shows. They just make a few at a time for friends, and they were slamming bluefish. Some incredible talent out there.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5-2-08 blue2.jpg  

Fished rm yesterday am, 6 blues up to 7lbs before the wind got nasty, bunker.

Tried to fish FI area yesterday afternoon, front was unfishable, out back was windy and weedy, plugs and bucktails, skunkola.

SI again yesterday, took some kids. Wind started to kick up, so we went to a lee spot. No one was catching fish as the tide filled in, so we snagged some bunker and let them reel them in. Set up the poles with chunks, caught one tiny blue maybe 2lbs, but the kids were happy.

Meanwhile, a guy to the right of us caught a keeper bass on a chunk, almost pulled his pole holder in the water. Nice fish, man.
    There was a group of pluggers to the left of us who tried like crazy for an hour to get a hit, but nothing. Gotta give them credit for tryin, guys were plugging blues the night before, but conditions little diffferent yesterday, plus colder water.

We left when the kids got too wet to stay, and weather got worse. Meanwhile, people were catching small bluefish here and there, seems like a body of smaller ones must have moved in.

I asked a guy in the parking lot coming off the beach how he did, and he said "Well, I kinda decided it was time to stop when I saw trees floating by". It was that windy, but should have been ideal for bass. Not on saturday, but we'll gettum next time, and the kids had fun.

fished at gk yesterday, fishing was bad, nothing for 3 hours. Much wind

The NJ week in Review 5-5-08

This has been a a second great week for the surf and boat fishermen.

Bluefish continue to tear the heck out of rods, reels, and gear, though some bodies of smaller fish have moved in. If you do catch a lot of bluefish, please only keep what you need. There was a time when there were no jumbo blues available. Al Ristori had a great article on that recently.

Bass will continue to be more challenging to catch as long as the bluefish dominate. The bass bite is scattered along NJ areas, and many of the decent catches have come at night for surf fishermen, and out of reach of surf guys, in 10-15' of water in the bay, for boaters. Otherwise, it's a slow pick for keeper bass.

Off the fishing topic, a body washed up at Sandy Hook earlier this week, young male, haven't yet heard the ID info. A woman jumped off one of the jetties in MoCo this past year as well because of financial problems and depression. Very sad to read these stories.

There are still some surprisingly large weakfish being caught, but not reported. Folks, these huge weakfish are breeders, and need to breed to propagate the species. If you are lucky enough to catch a weakfish over 8 lbs, you have every right to keep it.

However, please consider catch, photo, and release, so it can make baby weakfish.

Some who fish regularly feel many bass have bypassed the RB and NJ shores, because keepers are being reported regularly in several NY areas. The bass still haven't finished the spawn down in the Southern bays, so that body will still be moving North, little by little.

Additionally, bigger bass are now being caught in the Delaware River by those using live herring or chunks. The Delaware herring run is in full swing now, and would be a good time to take youngsters fishing using sabiki rigs for these fun, acrobatic fish. Make sure you have freshwater licenses, Rangers are out checking every day.

I wouldn't give up on bass fishing for the surfcasters. You folks have less options than guys fishing from boats, so you have to think strategically to catch bass (or just get lucky sometimes),

Bass like current, and primarily feed in low light conditions. Try to pick a spot that has current, food on the bottom, or warming water with baitfish present. If you satisfy one or more of the above conditions, you have a better shot at landing a bass.

As an indication that our waters are getting warmer, the trickles of fluke that were caught last week are now turning into more reports, with some bigger sizes. Remember the season does not open yet, they have to be thrown back until then.

New York week in Review 5-4-08

Bigger bass are still being caught in the Hudson by those using bunker, herring, and eels.

The back bays action is in full swing, but fishing, like many other things, is not consistent and dependent on bait and sunny weather warming up an area for a few days.

One thing that is almost guaranteed is bluefish, from Jamaica Bay to the more northern bays and spots, sometimes it's hard not to catch a bluefish.

The hordes of bunker schools being chased into the back bays in the northern NY baywaters have resulted in massive bunker kills. Good thing it's not summer, but this is a naturally-occurring phenomenon that unfortunately occurs several times a year if water oxygen levels fall.

The northern reaches of LI have turned on big time, with jumbo bluefish, and keeper bass, following the bunker, and also gorging themselves with squid.

And more fluke, some very respectable size, are being caught, but remember they must be thrown back until the season opens.

Good luck out there - catch em up!

Hey folks, I wanted to extend my thanks to all who contribute here. I wish more of our members were less shy about posting, but that will come in time.

At this point, I would again like to ask some members who have registered but not yet posted, to take a chance and post! Some here have been fishing for a long time and are less conscious about posting. Others members, who may be new to fishing, may not feel like they have a lot to offer, or self conscious that they may say something stupid.

As to the fishing reports, even if you went out and got skunked, that's not embarassing-- please post anyway. Happens to the best of us. We all have days when we throw everything but the kitchen sink, and it just ain't happening.

A lot of people may be traveling great distances to fish. with the gas prices being so outrageous, people are cutting down on many things, including fishing trips. So even if you posted that you went out, to _____ Bay, used____, tried ___, and the skunk followed you home, , you are helping out a fellow angler by saving them the trip.

I, and they, would appreciate people posting more. Helps us all, many thanks.

Also, let me assure you that there are no stupid questions here. If you want to contribute your opinion, or ask a question, chances are that many others have the same thought, but are too shy to post. So take a chance and post! I promise it's a painless process, and we can all learn from each other.

Meanwhile, some people are becoming regular contributors, and are helping to make the site more colorful (although I have to admit some of you seem like pretty crazy characters, I would still fish with you in the dark of night).

You are all helping to make this a site worth coming to visit, more like the community I envisioned when I first started this. Many, many thanks to all for your posts, your feedback, and your participation.

You are all a great group of people, even the slightly disturbed ones.

pinhead44 Guest

Fished Jones for an hour after work, bucktails and shad, nothing. Saw guy get 1 blue on bunker chunk, not much else.

fished at gk today, one bluefish only

For a limited time, I will be giving out a plug, lure, custom jig, or something similar each month to 2 randomly chosen members who post in our regional fishing reports.

Member response has been ramping up, so I decided to change it from one lucky person to 2 people.

Winners for the Month of April 2008:

Southpaw1123 (NJ)
    Pinhead44 (NY)
    Please check your e-mail, and let me know where you want them sent.

Thank you all for your participation. Your chances of winning are the same if you post once, or 50 times, to make things fair for everyone. If you went fishing, and you post a report in ANY regional fishing report thread here, you are eligible, so keep those reports coming, folks.

Few spots behind fi, medium size blues throwing metal, incoming.

Hey folks, there is currently a thread called "Commercial and Recreational fishermen: Separating Truth from Myth" in our main forum. One of our members put up a post about bunker netting in Great Kills.

If any NY members have a perspective on that or can offer mature, constructive feedback, I would appreciate your responses. I am trying to fairly present both sides of this and other issues regarding Commercial and Recreational fishermen. Thank you, bunkerjoe.

http://www.stripersandanglers.com/showthread.php?t=533

pinhead44 Guest

Thanks for the prize, bud. Very much appreciate it. check your e-mail. Fished Jones for an hour pm, shads got bit up. I switched to bucktails and got 3 bluefish.

Bunker chunks near a channel in JB early sunup, blues racing each other to get the chunks. No bass, about 10 decent blues.

Got into bass, first light around FI, white and bunker storm shads.

great kills is great! Last night I put bunker heads out, caught one big bass, I don't know maybe 15 pounds? So stupid, I was pulling him in, and grab and lost right in the sand. My only fish, but I will get him again. thank you guys for the help.

Jones this morning, 2 blues on bucktail, they're getting smaller. Tonight, not a bump.

gk last night so many bluefish! One so big he almost broke my pole, I think over 10 lbs. We used bunkers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast