Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NY Fishing reports for May 2008

SI first light to early morning. I must have brought the over from NJ with me. Went to snag bait in the back, only 2 bunker. Some guys pulled up next to me, plugged while I was snagging, got a 30" bass, lost bass and plug at edge.

Then I meet Cesar in the morning, he got a 30" bass last night on bunker chunk in the rain and wind. (What's up, Cesar, told you I would put it up.)

Out to snag more bunker, some boats were trying to play king of the mountain, put most of the bunker down deep. Anyone remember courtesy?

Went to fish, not a tap. Conditions perfect, someone forgot to tell the fish. Even the big bluefish took a vacation this morning. Only fish I saw in daylight were few blues caught by the Retired Crew, great bunch of retired guys who live at that place. Retired guys told me about the dead body. And, one guy caught a bluefish on a popper after about 200 casts.

SI is basically a night bite kinda place, man I wish I could move there.

Jones yesterday early. goose eggs.

did some scouting last night near Kennedy. Saw only a few fish caught. On the bridge, one legal bass caught, many fishing. Some bluefish were caught earlier, no bunker in the water at that time.

Went to another few locations up and down from there, only few bluefish caught, despite cleaner water coming in, and decent conditions. Must have been an off night.

NJ Week in Review 5-12-08

It has been a week of decent fishing and changing weather, folks.

Black Drum have been caught for the second week in Delaware Bay, one of the biggest reported catches weighing 33 pounds.

On the other hand, depending on who you talk to, some have the opinion that Bass fishery numbers are down this year. A recent ASA Delaware Bay tournament had low catches relative to the number of boats participating.

Others have reported great catches near the mouth of the Delaware River. This might be explained with the theory that bass are following the bait, herring.

It could also be explained by anecdotal evidence that the striped bass biomass has decreased. Recent NMFS stats claim this is not the case. They say it's healthy as ever. However, veteran anglers, who fish frequently and keep detailed logs, are grumbling. Some of them feel bigger bodies of bass have bypassed the Delaware and Raritan bays this year in favor of the Hudson, and NY Bight areas.

Striped bass are certainly available to boaters, who are reporting good numbers of bass and bluefish. But for surfcasters, this is usually a banner time in the back bays. Some feel the numbers are down from previous years.

Time will tell what the actual truth is. I suspect it's somewhere in between. I suspect the biomass may be decreasing slightly, with a concurrent greater participation by anglers in all categories, surf and boat. It's possible the bass have altered their spring migration pattern as well, with the bulk of larger fish passing slightly offshore, hitting the first linear Coast they run into somewhere on the NY shores.

On the brighter side, a good portion of bass have spawned in their respective areas, and some very big fish are making their northward from Virginia, and outward from the upper reaches of the Hudson. For the past 2 weeks, very nice catches have been reported in southern waters and the Assateague Island area, up to 49". These fish are making their way up the coast, and hopefully stop along the way for surf fishermen a chance to get at them.

You can catch bass in the ocean surf now, as waters have warmed a bit, but they are still relatively cool compared to the bays. Strong NE weather patterns like the one on the next few days will cool the water down even more. Therefore, the best bet to catch bass and bigger fish remains in the low-light hours, in the flats, or any place you can find that has water running or dumping into it, ie current.

The exception for the ocean would be right after the storm, if you can find a fishable area where your sinker can hold for clam fishing. When these noreasters break up large amounts of clams on the beach, conditions are ideal right after to catch a nice bass on clams.

The first fluke have been caught, some very respectable size, but are not legal to keep yet. This year's restrictions will make it tough for most anglers to put a decent catch together, accordingly putting more pressure on the striped bass.

The record weakfish was caught this week by a client of Rich Swisstack, but as Al Ristori reported, not in NJ.

If any of you folks catch an unusually large weakfish, and it's not a record, I am again asking if you might consider releasing it. These big females are few and far between. The only reason you hear of numbers of them being caught is that they congregate in certain areas when spawning. Sharp anglers know this, and are able to effectively fish those areas, with most of them being thrown back.

Good luck out there, folks, and be careful if fishing in this weather. Remember that the tides around the full and new moon are significantly higher, and can impact your safety.

NY Week in review 5-12-08

As noted, some bigger fish are consistently being caught in the NY bight areas, and NY beaches. Bigger fish have moved into the NY back bay areas, and LI Sound flats. For the most part, they are chasing bunker, herring, squid, spearing, and rainfish. Find those baitfish and you will be rewarded.

There was a massive bunker fishkill in the Peconic Bay in the last week as large predators pushed bunker further into the shallows where there is less oxygen for the schools.

On a somber note, a body was found Friday morning on an access road to Great Kills Park. I read that it was not a fisherman, but it's still a sad story nonetheless.

If you want to fish areas out front -- if you can find a beach area right after the storm where clams are washed up, fishing with clams, if your sinker can hold bottom, would be an ideal strategy.

Be careful out there folks -- bunkerjoe

Fish gk last night, cold and wind, no fish. My friend said boat come in other night to take lotta bunker, but I didn't see it.

pinhead44 Guest

Fished jones after work, metal for one bluefish, little slow, didn't see any other people hook up where I was.

SI last night. 2 of my friends got fish in the 20lb class, bunker were in tight.

By the time I got there at 12pm, action was dead.

Only one bluefish caught all night. Took a snooze, woke up at 5am and drove around looking for fresh bunker.

Found them few minutes later.As I was getting a few for bait, some guys to my right snagged and dropped a small bunker for a 15 lb fish. That was all the action I saw until the boats drove the bunker down deep by the inlet channels, killing

what little bite there was.

Zen lesson - see the bunker, be the bunker, nail the bass. repeat till it sinks in.

find the bunker, snag the bunker, catch the bass
    repeat till the late night caffeine wears off

pinhead44 Guest

Jones last night, few small blues on bucktails and black bombers. Had a few seconds of a bigger fish with the bucktails tipped with pork rind, but got off when I slacked the line a little. Maybe bass or weakfish, Ill never know.

Fished area near demo yesterday. Big blues came through, bucktails and tore up a bunch of my shads. One small bass 22"

RM area, construction, bucktails in the am, nothin but weeds.

SI morning bite, went to snag bunker first. So many boats it looked like a circus, tournament day I think. Bunker were deep.

Guy 100 feet from me snags one, drops, fights and lands a 42 1/2" bass, 25 pound class.

Guy's name is Tommy, he was using 12 lb test, great fight. Took some pics, told him I would put them up. Tommy, check your e-mail, I'll e-mail you the whole set by tomorrow.

Nice fish, hefty, remember this guy is like 6'2", and it's not so easy to snag and drop. We were snagging for about 1 1/2 hours, bunker scattered by the boats, he worked for that fish, none other caught at that spot all morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TommysBass5-17-08 (5).jpg   TommysBass5-17-08 (6).jpg  

TommysBass5-17-08 (7).jpg  

Message to the other dude who lives by that new place I checked out today:

I didn't give you my #, so just know that place we checked out has good potential, guys getting bass there on and off, upper 20's.

I got nothing after you left with the fresh bunker and shads, bucktails, sluggos. But the current is killer, bass run through there all the time, confirmed with a few people walking on the sand.

That place I walked out on, you really need korkers, some good mussel beds. I would only fish the last 2 hours of the outgoing, and never during full/new moon. Otherwise the current is too strong. You have to throw out as far as you can, and reel in quick, will lose rigs, but it's worth it.

Night time is the right time. If you end up joining this site, pm me, I will fill you in on more details.

See ya out there man, thanks for the intel.

gk Quality fish, looks healthy.

SI again last night. It was like family night there, loads of families with their kids, ipods, people all ages. Some people aren't happy to see that, but I thought it was cool. People just having a good time.

We got to the spot, little secluded, started snagging a few bunker, they were all horse bunker, around 12". Chunked a few for a bluefish bite-off, switched to wire. Some big bluefish up to 10lbs were being pulled in.

Found smaller bunker, kept it on the treble, tossed it out deep. After the second time doing this, we had a runoff in free spool about 200ft, swung and missed at the chance. Bummer, b/c I could feel the weight of the fish. Bunker came back with lip marks up to almost where the treble was. Was probably a decent bass, but not big enough to swallow whole. Bunker heads and bloody chunks produced only bluefish hits. Bite eventually slowed. Hope to be back there tonight, I love that place.

fishlipper, you might have waited a little long to set that hook. Sometimes if the bass are smaller and the bunker are bigger, it makes sense to give them a few seconds. But I would wait 5-15 seconds, no more, and then cross their eyes. Either you will stick it, or not, but waiting too much just gives them more time to spit it. Good luck.

NJ Week in Review 5-19-08

Well folks this has been a great week for fishing. Boaters have done better than surfcasters in terms of catching bass. This has some long-time surfcasters saying "Where are the Bass? in NJ".

Bluefish are providing consistent action for those using bunker, and starting to give some exciting action for those using topwater plugs. The ocean has been churned up by the storms. Although people are catching fish in the ocean, the best action remains in the back bays, or in the bay areas adjacent to the ocean where the waters are somewhat protected.

A significant body of bunker has been sitting in the area off IBSP for the past 2 days. These bunker are out of reach of surfcasters, but there are times during low light when the tide is right, and the bunker drift closer. These small windows give surfcasters and liveliners the chance to catch bigger bass. Unfortunately, these time windows are sometimes very limited opportunities.

"Ya gotta be in it to win it" translates to the fact that those who are in the right place in the right time in the surf will be rewarded. Others may be disappointed, but the experience of surf fishing is what motivates many of us anyway. Catching a fish is always a plus, and is what keeps us coming back for more, but it is never guaranteed. Even the best fishermen don't catch fish all the time.

As far as bait other than bunker, larger spearing, and decent schools of rainfish, are starting to appear with greater frequency in the bays and inlets. Small herring are also being slaughtered by hungry predators.

I feel the next 2 weeks ahead will offer exciting opportunities for those at the right place at the right time.

There are those who feel the bass numbers are down this year, especially for NJ. I would agree with that perception, to a point. No one wants to listen to claims the sky is falling if the NMFS stats say the biomass is the same as it has been. For now, I think it's safe to say that there have been some changes in catches, especially for surfcasters.

This may be due to changes in the biomass, people keeping more breeding fish, different bass migration patterns and locational shifts, or slight combinations of these and many other factors. I think as we get more data and stories from veteran fishermen as to how their season is, people can get a better assessment of where the truth lies.

Sometimes, we perceive one thing to be true, merely because we don't have enough information. Once we get more information to fill in the gaps in our reasoning, things become clearer, and the conclusion reached may be entirely different from what it once appeared to be. Food for thought.

If you have any spare time and want to catch a bigger bass, now is the time to plan and strategically target the best location and time, and go get your quarry! Good luck out there.

NY Week in Review 5-19-08

Folks, the fishing in some areas on NY has been reported and documented as spectacular, but please remember there is no area that is hot all the time. There are some areas in NY that are offering incredible fishing for those willing to brave the elements of weather. However, 2 years ago some of these places had a poor Spring fishery, while other areas in NJ were experiencing a bounty.

Thic could give credence to the cyclical nature of fishing, or it could indicate something else. No one really knows, and the truth usually lies somewhere in between all the assessments, perceptions, and beliefs.

The NY fluke season opened with some impressive catches. It seems insane to have 20.5" as the minimum, which is again decided more by science, and less by anecdotal evidence from veteran fishermen that fluke levels are as high as they have ever been.

However, this is what was decided, so we must live with it for now. The sad part for me is that I think eventually party boat captains will be hurt by this. Many people will make choices not to go fishing when faced with a $45 boat fare and the "possible" chance to bring home one or 2 fluke.

Again, this is something that fishermen as a political force have the opportunity to monitor and get changed. If the season turns out terrible in terms of your catches, please think about getting involved with a fishing club or group and let your collective voice be heard. There are some fine clubs listed here in the forums. If anyone is close to their areas, I suggest you check them out, and think about getting involved politically if you are not happy.

Any other clubs out there that represent the legitimate interests of fishermen, feel free to contact me, and we will put up some info so others can learn more about your club and what it offers.

Back to fishing -- the NY back bays and inlets are still offering good chances to connect with decent fish for those at the right place at the right time. Not all inlets and bays are producing consistently. Remember the bigger predators show up in search of food. Especially now as the spawn is over, bigger fish will be caught. Look for concentrations of bait, you will find the bigger fish not far behind. Good luck out there! -- bunkerjoe

FI area nighttime in the back, blues up to 8lbs pencil popper.

Some blues in the back of jbay this morning, pencil popppers.

Fished predawn behind fi, bombers and swimmers. 2 bass to 28", some bunker around.

SI last night, last half of outgoing. Snagged some bunker, decided to liveline. By the 4th bunker, had a decent fish on, lost because I tied snag hook directly to braid. Set up again, bunker moved, chased after them. Had to move 5 times total. Finally, they settled down to one spot. They were concentrated. Guys 300 feet to my left or right didn't notice they were feeding, and big fish crashing. Livelined another one with mono shock leader, and lost the fish halfway in. Maybe a weakfish, not a world record, but had my pole bent in half for awhile. Adrenalin high. Action died when bunker stopped feeding at dead low. I'm a king spazz for losing those fish, but i'll be back.

Who said fish aren't active during a full moon?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast