Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NY Fishing reports for May 2008

SI last night, west wind was howling, not many bunker concentrated, decided to grab some sleep till the pre-dawn. Started again around 4am, some guys going home had 2 bass. Didn't hear of much else caught, was a slow night, some big bluefish caught throughout the night.

Started again 4am. Bunker were too far out, though in another spot guys snagged and dropped for a monster bluefish, supposedly over 12lbs. I got nothing except a chance to see the sunrise, but it's all good, I'll stick 'em next time.

Back bays of fi this am, bucktails, shads, not a bump.

Been doing ok on jbay, early first light to dawn, Storm shads and poppers, sometimes bass, sometimes bluefish. I usually hit at least one or 2. Once the sun is up, action dies completely.

This is just a heads up to the Jersey guys who read this forum, or know any people who have boats who act like this. I have been going to SI for awhile now, and hear them bash us, mostly boaters, for being inconsiderate when sharing space with the surf guys.

I just sit there and listen, and it's hard to defend us guys from Jersey when I am standing on the sand with all the surfcasters, and the boats from Jersey come and park 50 feet away from us.

I know it's not all Jersey boaters, but the level of disrespect is amazing.

Last night my brother took his boat over there, big blues from 8-13lbs for 4 hrs under the bunker. everyone had a good time. But he told me a guy on the shore was yelling at a boater who had gotten too close to his line, and the boater was screaming back at the top of his lungs. I'm guessing it won't be long now before people decide to use sinkers to make their point that the boaters are getting too close and ruining rigs.

How about a little consideration from everyone, people? Is it stupid to think we can all share in the fish? Does Al Sharpton need to come and lead another of his stupid protests for people to see how silly this is?

Anyway, I wasn't there last night, but big blues were. Don't know about bass, but catch 'em up, and apologies to all the NY guys who have been cool with me, sorry some guys from Jersey don't remember their manners.

fishlipper, it shouldn't get to that point. Someone gets killed, other guy spends the next 20 years in prison.

If you guys are where I think you were, you can call the US park police. Main number is Brooklyn, but Dispatch will patch it in to the right area.
    Number is (718) 338-3988

You can report any incident of law breaking, poaching, or being in the park without a correct sticker to this #. They will have someone respond asap. Don't always get there to stop the people, but if you can give them a license plate and vehicle description, they will actively look for the perp in the park. If he leaves, they will get him next time.

If it's a boat very close, look for the reg #s, see if it's from NY or NJ, write it down, and call it in. Or take a picture with your cell phone. Many guys don't bother because they feel what's the use.

However the Park Police are aggressive in going after serious lawbreakers, providing they have someone who can provide them with enough details to catch the perp.

Don't risk a confrontation. Make the call to

(718) 338 - 3988.

fi back bays, small bass to 27" on black bombers before dawn. Some small bait around, maybe spearing.

Important when registering on our site use an active email address so you can activate account to be able to post.

NJ Week in Review 5-27-08

Well folks this has been another great week for fishing, but boaters have again done better than surfcasters in terms of catching bass. This has some long-time surfcasters saying "Where are the Bass? in NJ". (Look for the thread pertaining to this)

The significant body of bunker that had been sitting in the area off IBSP has provided action all throughout the week, with some action at night in the towns above that, and the epic action on Memorial Day Monday where they had fish for about 5 hours at IBSP.

There was a sustained catch of bass to 30lbs, blues to 15 lbs, by people who threw everything they had. Fish were in hot pursuit after live bait, and weren't fussy as usual.

Bass in the middle of the day, South wind, clear water? Say it ain't so, Joe.

Yep, I wasn't there, family obligations kept me busy. Many who were not there will be talking about this blitz for years.

All the rules of "when" is a good time to catch a bass were broken that day. This tells us that you never know when you will fall into a run of fish like that. It's mostly luck, and some skill involved in not losing a big fish.

This body of fish could be long gone as I write this, but more fish and bunker are making their way north. Whether you or I will be there when they hit the beach is anyone's guess.

"Ya gotta be in it to win it" translates to the fact that those who are in the right place in the right time in the surf will be rewarded. Others may be disappointed, but the experience of surf fishing is what motivates many of us anyway. Catching a fish is always a plus, and is what keeps us coming back for more, but it is never guaranteed. Even the best fishermen don't catch fish all the time.

As far as bait other than bunker, larger spearing, and decent schools of rainfish, are starting to appear with greater frequency in the bays and inlets. Small herring are also being slaughtered by hungry predators. Incredibly, the first schools of baby peanut bunker have been reported swimming through the inlets, the progeny of the adults that have been here for 2 months.

If you have any spare time and want to catch a bigger bass, now is the time to plan and strategically target the best location and time, and go get your quarry! Realistically, night fishing offers you the best chance of getting a bigger bass, but please be respectful of others out there, and the lights you may use to guide your way around. If you don't have a lot of fishing experience, it's dangerous at night, particularly for those who try to catch fish in the rocky areas. Please be careful, and good luck out there.

NY Week in Review 5-27-08

Folks, the fishing in some areas on NY has been reported and documented as spectacular, but please remember there is no area that is hot all the time. There are some areas in NY that are offering incredible fishing for those willing to brave the elements of weather. However, 2 years ago some of these places had a poor Spring fishery, while other areas in NJ were experiencing a bounty.

The NY back bays and inlets are still offering good chances to connect with decent fish for those at the right place at the right time.

Not all inlets and bays are producing consistently, but notwithstanding the NJ blitzes this past week, the NY bays and inlets seem to have a more consistent body of fish available.

Remember the bigger predators show up in search of food. Especially now as the spawn is over, bigger fish will be caught as they are making their way out of the spawning areas.

Look for concentrations of bait, you will find the bigger fish not far behind. Good luck out there! -- bunkerjoe

Was out there in the jbay area last night looking for bunker. The NW winds were too extreme, couldn't decide on a decent place to set up, as there was no bunker to be found in the places I looked.

Finally decided on an inlet area before sunrise. Used bunker chunk on the bait rod, and fished another rod with big swimmers and heavier bucktails. Current was strong. Last of outgoing, water was clear and clean.

Maybe 4 other guys on a 1-2 mile stretch of beach where I was. None of us caught anything.

fished in Great Kills last night. 4 bluefish after dark. They hit bunker chunks.

Behinf FI this morning, blues up to 6 lbs on metals.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123