I would like to meet Willis Beam one day.
This is a timely article. You'll notice with alll the Saltwater shows out there this Spring, there will be Salt water personalities talking about how this plug, that rod, this reel, or that combo is the path to greatness.

I understand that... as guys get more famous they need sponsors to make it worthwhile and monetize their success. It would be foolish not to do that.

What I don't get is if last year a guy was using a ZB and a lami, (so naturally that's the only thing that will get you a cow )

and this year their new sponsor is VS, so naturally, the VS, "Hot rod blank of the season", the promoted tackle bags, wet weather gear, etc, become the only ones to use for the biggest cow.

How did the ZB, or whatever else was being hawked last year, all of a sudden become inferior in the course of a year?

I understand the dynamics behind this. A guy at the Pro level has to support his sponsors and push the products of whoever is paying him. All one has to do is watch a Bill Dance episode to see proof of this.

Nonetheless, I feel it's refreshing to read an article by Willis Beam, who tries his best not to get caught up in that. That's all.