Thread: NJ pots off the reefs up for Senate discussion Feb 1, 2010

Default NJ pots off the reefs up for Senate discussion Feb 1, 2010

This came from the RFA.
    www.joinrfa.org.

A little background on this bill:

It first was introduced 3 years ago in 2007. As mentioned below, it seems to pass committees, and then get tabled for one reason or other. From what I was led to believe, this was due to lobbying by Commercial interests.

ACTION ALERT FROM RFA-NJ CHAPTER
    "POTS OFF REEF" BILL IN SENATE COMMITTEE FEBRUARY 1

The Recreational Fishing Alliance New Jersey Chapter (RFA-NJ) is pleased to announce that Senate Bill 221, which would prohibit the use of certain fishing gear on artificial reefs (i.e. - "Pots off the Reefs"), is scheduled to be heard by the New Jersey Senate Environment and Energy Committee on Monday, February 1. Introduced by Sen. Sean T. Kean just two weeks ago and co-sponsored by Sen. Jeff Van Drew and Sen. Andrew R. Ciesla, S221 has the full support of RFA-NJ.

"Similar legislation introduced in previous legislative sessions has passed a full Senate vote on two occasions, but companion Assembly bills have yet to be voted on by the full Assembly," said RFA-NJ Chairman Capt. Adam Nowalsky, who is hoping to see a companion Assembly bill to S221 very soon. "RFA-NJ is hopeful that both the Senate and Assembly bills will be voted on during the current legislative session," Nowalsky added.

New Jersey's Artificial Reef system is one of the nation's most successful reef building programs. Occupying just .3% of the sea floor off of New Jersey's coast, a past state study revealed that 20% of New Jersey's recreationally landed fish come from the state's 15 reefs. This fishing effort provides a tremendous trickle-down economic effect in both shore and inland communities as these anglers support marinas, boat liveries, bait and tackle stores, fuel stations, restaurants, convenience stores, sporting goods stores, toll highways, hotels/motels, real estate rentals, etc.

According to the state-approved 2005 Artificial Reef Plan, the intent of the reef sites is for "hook-and-line" angling activities. For more than 20 years, the administration of the reef program has been funded by donations from anglers and organizations throughout the state, in addition to Dingell-Johnson Sport Fish (Wallop-Breaux) Restoration Funds. The Sport Fish Restoration funds in particular are derived from an excise tax on recreational fishing purchases, and as a "User Pay, User Benefit" program, federal law requires that these funds be used to benefit recreational fisheries. Violation is subject to repayment of funds, as corroborated by New Jersey Fish and Wildlife Director Dave Chanda in a May 22, 2008 memo concerning this issue.

The majority of states that have artificial reef programs including New York, Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida have identified traps as non-compatible with their reef programs and no longer allow traps on their reefs. Artificial reefs in federal waters for a number of those states have also been classified as Special Management Zones (SMZ's), restricting the use of traps on those sites.

The hearing is open to the public and will take place beginning at 10 a.m. in Committee Room 10, 3rd Floor, State House Annex in Trenton, NJ. Directions can be found at http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/directions.asp.
    Last edited by DarkSkies; 01-31-2010 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Corrected timeline per NJDiver, thanks!

Why has this bill been held up?

Because the commercial guys have deeper pockets than the recreational guys. They pay lobbyists to have meetings with the Senators. Each time it gets enough votes it gets squashed by a lack of support by a Senator who amazingly has strong ties to commercial fishing interests.

Dirty politics you say?

Realistically, that's how all political meetings happen, in every state in America. That's why we need fishermen political organizations on our side, like the RFA and others. They apply pressure behind the scenes, in the same way that the Commercial lobbyists do.

That's why these organizations need our financial support. The voice of one is weak, the voices of many are strong.

Default Another e-mail asking for help

This was from the JCAA and the MRM tuna club:

Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 11:19 AM
    Subject: MRMTC - ARTIFICIAL REEF ANNOUNCEMENT

This is a message from the MRMTC Artificial Reef committee. As everyone knows we have been working very hard to support groups in which have been fighting the "Pots off the Reef" campaign. This has become a very large problem for our local reefs in which we want to protect our fishing grounds on. There is a vote taking place this Monday in which our local Senators need to hear from us. If you have a minute please take a moment to make a call with the instructions below.

Thank you.

Dear Fellow Sportsmen,

Monday February 1, 2010 at 10 am the Environment and Energy Committee
    will be voting on S221-Prohibits the use of certain fishing gear on
    artificial reef (Pots off the Reef). Contact the Senators on that
    committee and tell them you support the bill and want them to vote in
    favor.

The Senators are as follows:
    Sen. Bob Smith (Chair) - 732-752-0770
    Sen. Robert M. Gordon (Vice Chair) - 201-703-9779
    Sen. Christopher Bateman - 908-526-3600
    Sen. James Beach - 856-489-3442
    Sen. Jennifer Beck - 732-933-1591

Thank you for your support.
    Mark Taylor
    JCAA President

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Why has this bill been held up?

Because the commercial guys have deeper pockets than the recreational guys. They pay lobbyists to have meetings with the Senators. Each time it gets enough votes it gets squashed by a lack of support by a Senator who amazingly has strong ties to commercial fishing interests.
    Oh, and that's all you think it is, deep pockets? In some cases I think it's a lot more than that. There's a guy Sweeney in SJ that's so deep in the pockets of the commercial guys when they check their pockets for lint they find Sweeney. He put down that bill almost singlehandedly the first time. I'll bet he had a bunch of his vacations financed by some of the commercial guys in some way or other. These politicians make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    Oh, and that's all you think it is, deep pockets? In some cases I think it's a lot more than that. There's a guy Sweeney in SJ that's so deep in the pockets of the commercial guys when they check their pockets for lint they find Sweeney. He put down that bill almost singlehandedly the first time. I'll bet he had a bunch of his vacations financed by some of the commercial guys in some way or other. These politicians make me sick.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Here is the history of this legislation:

This is where it died the first time:

A3986 Prohibits the use of certain fishing gear on artificial reefs.
    2nd Reading in the Assembly

2/22/2007 Introduced, Referred to Assembly Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee
    5/21/2007 Reported out of Assembly Committee, 2nd Reading
    1/7/2008 Motion Order of the day (Kean)
    1/7/2008 Motion To Table (Watson Coleman) (41-32-0)

S2635 Prohibits the use of certain fishing gear on artificial reefs.
    2nd Reading in the Assembly

5/10/2007 Introduced in the Senate, Referred to Senate Environment Committee
    11/8/2007 Reported from Senate Committee, 2nd Reading
    1/3/2008 Passed by the Senate (32-0)
    1/3/2008 Received in the Assembly without Reference, 2nd Reading
    1/7/2008 Motion Order of the day (Kean)
    1/7/2008 Motion To Table (Watson Coleman)(41-32-0)

This is where it died the second time:

A1519 Prohibits the use of certain fishing gear on artificial reefs.
    Agriculture and Natural Resources

1/8/2008 Introduced, Referred to Assembly Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee

(Was not brought before committee.)

S336 Prohibits the use of certain fishing gear on artificial reefs.

1/8/2008 Introduced in the Senate, Referred to Senate Environment Committee
    2/21/2008 Reported from Senate Committee, 2nd Reading
    10/23/2008 Passed by the Senate (32-4)
    10/23/2008 Received in the Assembly, Referred to Assembly Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee

Present status:

A1152 Prohibits the use of certain fishing gear on artificial reefs.

1/12/2010 Introduced, Referred to Assembly Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee

S221 Prohibits the use of certain fishing gear on artificial reefs.
    Environment and Energy

1/12/2010 Introduced in the Senate, Referred to Senate Environment and Energy Committee

Thanks for the comprehensive timeline, NJdiver. I went back and edited my post.

You're one of the guys who are pretty consistent about putting this stuff on all the web sites out there. People may assume you do it because of your interest in diving, that's one possible reason.

However, I notice although we may not get too much personal commentary (occasionally ) from you.... you have been a persistent force in at least trying to educate people as to the laws and legislation that may affect them down the road.

Though it may sometimes seem like not many pay attention, at least you're trying. I thank you for that.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinmission78 View Post
    You have mistaken one politician for another. It was then Assembly Speaker Roberts, now retired, who held the bill from being heard in both Committee and Assembly last session.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Thanks for the comprehensive timeline, NJdiver. I went back and edited my post.

You're one of the guys who are pretty consistent about putting this stuff on all the web sites out there. People may assume you do it because of your interest in diving, that's one possible reason.

However, I notice although we may not get too much personal commentary (occasionally ) from you.... you have been a persistent force in at least trying to educate people as to the laws and legislation that may affect them down the road.

Though it may sometimes seem like not many pay attention, at least you're trying. I thank you for that.
    You're welcome. See you Monday!

Unanimously passed by the Senate Environment & Energy Committee this morning. A statement was made early that “I think we need a bigger room!” A standing room only hearing room was witnessed once again to a unanimous decision to pass the bill on to the full Senate, where in two previous sessions; it received 32 votes each time. Now it's on to the Assembly for another battle.

Quote Originally Posted by njdiver View Post

Now it's on to the Assembly for another battle.
    Sorry I couldn't make that meeting today, NJdiver. Glad you could and were able to report the news.

I'm also glad to hear about the packed room, the more people that attend meetings like this the better. Please keep us posted with developments as this winds its way through the Assembly. Thanks!

This is what's next:

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2010

SENATE SESSION 2:00 PM Senate Chambers
    Voting Session: Time and Board List to be announced

Unfortunately:

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 4, 2010 (continued)

*ASSEMBLY QUORUM
    The Assembly Quorum has been CANCELED. C & D Committees will not meet.

The Agriculture and Natural Resources Committee is in Group D.

Unless they can get their "act" together, this will possibly be the next time A1152 may be heard by the Assembly Committee:

MONDAY, MARCH 8, 2010

ASSEMBLY QUORUM Assembly Chambers
    10:00 AM: Group (C) Committees scheduled to meet
    2:00 PM: Group (D) Committees scheduled to meet

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/legislativepub/calendar/012910.htm

NJDIVER, you are a font of information and a great reporter. Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    NJDIVER, you are a font of information and a great reporter. Thanks for the update.
    You're welcome. More soon.

Quote Originally Posted by njdiver View Post
    You have mistaken one politician for another. It was then Assembly Speaker Roberts, now retired, who held the bill from being heard in both Committee and Assembly last session.

Hey sorry about that I thought it was sweeny. Now I remember, roberts is the a-hole. I'm glad roberts retired. I hope he chokes on a fishbone when he's on vacation in Fla.

Who to contact now:

General Assembly Leadership

Assemblywoman Sheila Y. Oliver (D) (Assembly Speaker)
    DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESS:

15-33 Halsted Street
    Suite 202
    East Orange, NJ 07018

PHONE NUMBER: (973) 395-1166
    FAX NUMBER: (973) 395-1724
    EMAIL: AswOliver@njleg.org

Assemblyman Joseph Cryan (D) (Majority Leader)
    DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESS:

985 Stuyvesant Ave.
    Union, NJ 07083

PHONE NUMBER: (908) 624-0880
    FAX NUMBER: (908) 624-0587
    EMAIL: AsmCryan@njleg.org

Assemblyman Jerry Green (D) (Speaker Pro Tempore)
    DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESS:

17 Watchung Ave.
    Plainfield, NJ 07060

PHONE NUMBER: (908) 561-5757
    FAX NUMBER: (908) 561-5547
    EMAIL: AsmGreen@njleg.org

Assemblywoman Joan M. Quigley (D) (Majority Conference Leader)
    DISTRICT OFFICE ADDRESS:

235 Ninth Street
    Jersey City, NJ 07302

PHONE NUMBER: (201) 217-4614
    FAX NUMBER: (201) 217-4617
    EMAIL: AswQuigley@njleg.org

Call them, write them, fax them, email them. Ask them to have the bill heard in committee! Let them know you want the "Pots Off the Reefs"!