Thread: Shark caught from the beach

Default Shark caught from the beach

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shark_162340c.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	9663

Beachgoers were surprised Friday morning when two fishermen pulled a nearly 10-foot hammerhead shark ashore, closing Ocean Reef Park for the second day in a row.

The fishermen, who left before they could be identified, released the live shark back into the ocean. The fish was not weighed, said Palm Beach County Ocean Rescue Lt. Don May, but it did measure out at 9 feet 9 inches.

The catch of the day wasn't as unusual as the beachgoers might have thought.

"It's very common for hammerheads, and other sharks, to come close to shore," said Lee Schlesinger, spokesman for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. "It's not at all unusual for them to be caught by fishermen from shore. When the bait fish come close to shore, the sharks follow the food."
    Fishing for sharks and other fish from the beach is legal in designated areas, and requires a $9 annual license for Florida residents. There are exemptions for residents who are 16 and younger, senior citizens and the disabled, Schlesinger said.
    Fisherman can keep one shark per day per person. Hammerheads and most other sharks must be at least 54 inches long to be kept, he said.

"The sharks that are less common have tighter restrictions," Schlesinger added.

Sharks have been gathering along Palm Beach County beaches recently in their annual chase of baitfish. Lemon, bull and hammerhead sharks often are seen off Ocean Reef Park this time of year, May said.

Lifeguards closed swimming in the park just north of the Blue Heron Bridge on Singer Island on Friday at about 9:30 a.m. when the hammerhead was pulled ashore. They reopened the beach to swimmers about four hours later.
    "When they brought the shark to shore, it drew a big crowd. Everybody was standing around taking pictures," May said.
    Hammerheads, with their flat T-shaped heads with an eye on each side, feed on other fish, stingrays, skates, and other sharks. The largest hammerheads grow to 15 feet and weigh more than 1,000 pounds.
    After the beach was reopened to swimmers, those who braved Friday's choppy seas still had to take precautions. Yellow and purple flags were displayed warning swimmers of jellyfish, May said.

South Florida Sun-Sentinel

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/pal...0,692198.story

kewl

I'm not sure if I would bring my family there for a swim.

By the looks of that guys tackle, I would say he is targeting them.

Quote Originally Posted by crosseyedbass View Post
    I'm not sure if I would bring my family there for a swim.
    People swim there all the time. I saw one video last year where they had hundreds of sharks swimming outside one inlet. I wish someone would find it and post it up here. They're really not looking to eat people unless you were splashing frantically for some reason and they grabbed your arm or leg by mistake. Most humans are too big for them to be intersted.

Maybe so, but a kiteboarder in that area didn't have such great luck. He's dead now.

http://www.wptv.com/content/news/cen...4HHriSqLA.cspx
    Sharks spotted one day after fatal attack

Reported by: WPTV staff
    Email: webteam@wptv.com
    Last Update: 2:21 pm

PALM BEACH, FL--One day after a fatal shark attack in Martin County, schools of sharks were seen off Palm Beach.
    There were easily more than a hundred in the water off Reef Road Thursday morning.
    Lifeguards will monitor the migrating sharks and decide whether any beaches need to be closed.
    Wednesday Stephen Schafer died of multiple shark bites while kite boarding south of Stuart Beach.
    The 38 year old was about a quarter mile offshore when a lifeguard noticed him and pulled him to shore.
    Schafer later died at Martin Memorial Medical Center.
    Last week beaches were closed for three days on Singer Island because of shark sightings.
    Two fishermen reeled in a nearly 10 foot hammerhead shark, then released it.
    Hammerheads along with spinners, reef, and bull sharks are very common off south Florida this time of year. They follow schools of migrating fish along the Florida coastline.

They better figure out what to do. It seems like a real problem to me.