Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Catch and release thread

What color for what?

ok i felt like making you a plug

ok than. I like your basics. red and white for the early morning. yellow. pink, or chartreuse for the day time, or black or blurple for the night. I recently got off the phone with Dark a little while ago so I guess i know why you want to make me a plug. All good bro, let me know if you ever need a fishing partner.

oooo ya do doya lol the banana plug didnot work so i think i will make ya some thing you will have better luck with lol

Default this guy caught and released a 50!

Great catch!

Hooking a '50' is striper heaven

By Al Ristori

May 20, 2010, 9:46PM

Rick Brach of Bridgewater reached the summit of striper fishing when he caught a bass over the coveted 50-pound mark while out with me on Monday.

After taking a few photos and measurements, we promptly released what would be the fish of a lifetime for almost any striper angler.

Brach, whose only prior striper was a tiny bass that hit a killie while he was fluking, made his first striper trip with his father, ****, aboard the Sheri Berri from Baker’s Marina on the Bay in Highlands.

We ran down the beach to troll bass where I’d done very well the previous two days. After reading fish marks on the fishfinder, mate Hans Kaspersetz of Weehawken deployed the trolling spread before spotting bass rolling on the surface ahead of us.

Trolling into them produced a hookup on a bunker spoon and I hooked another reeling in the Mann’s 30 stretch plug.

The trip was already a success as Rick had his first real striper, about a 20-pounder, as did his father. These catch-and-release anglers kept only one bass and wanted to release any others.

Rick Brach took my light, one-handed spinning rod that had a Tsunami shad on it and jigged another bass as we were getting set up again. Bass from the mid-teens to more than 20 pounds were trolled steadily with only slight interference from bluefish.

At one point, both bunker rods were hooked up, and the senior Brach got his in first for release. Kaspersetz then grabbed the green Julian’s Montauk spoon and had a hard time lifting Rick’s striper over the side of the 26-foot Regulator. Though only 47 inches to the fork of the tail, where the length must be measured when using the formula to determine weight, she was obviously full of roe as the girth was 30 inches.

After reviving and releasing the trophy bass, the formula (length times girth squared, divided by 800) provided a weight of 52.875 pounds.

The only other 50-pounder reported to this column was Phil LaGrossa’s 57-pounder, caught by casting a swimming plug from a boat and weighed at Betty and Nick’s in Seaside Park.

Most striper fanatics spend many years trying to catch a “50,” but never do so. Over many decades of pursuing them, I’ve caught 13 linesiders from 50 to 61 pounds, but those all came from Cape Cod and Montauk before the stocks were depleted and management was imposed to restore the fishery.

This was the first time I was able to put a client into a “50.” The trolling bite continued, but the anglers were worn out and refused to pick up another hooked-up rod, so we left them biting at 9 a.m.

Late report last night I fished a moco beach with bunker and got one bass 40" on a bunker head, she is still swimming,

Default 5-26-10

Got some bass late PM yesterday, released a keeper, around 13, 31", pics to follow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9053.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	11215

A little hard to see here, he was eager to go home, and I was a little late snapping the pic. Camera strap also got inthe way in my haste to snap and release. Oh, well.

Name:	IMGP9054.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	11216

Darkskies ............w t g .........b r o........... HEY DID YOU GET THE PIC ON YOUR PHONE???

Default some stripers released in raritan bay

May 26, 2010, 8:32PM

Capt. Sal Cursi of Cathy Sea from Sewaren certainly found that this morning as he limited out with smaller eating-size bass while Conrail engineer Tom Stanczyk released a 48 1/2-pounder. A 42-pound striper was also released.
    Tom Fote of Toms River led a party aboard Capt. Lou Grazioso's Striper Mania from Highlands for a limit catch while Nick DiNucci of Denville released a 38-pounder

Got some bass with Finchaser last night, about 14, 32".

Name:	9069 5-27-10.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	11217

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Got some bass with Finchaser last night, about 14, 32".

Name:	9069 5-27-10.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	11217
    I still recognize that spot even though it's been doctored with photo software

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^ Hey, I tried my best, Mr Grouchy.

hey bro some of the things you and fin go a each other it is so funny i have to get off the computer because my side hurts from cracking up.

Believe me Bro, he's holding back big time with his commentary on this site. If you ever get the chance to fish together you'll see. He's got running commentary on every type of person out there. From dillydocks to pros to half-naked floozies running drunk through the streets, he's got some stories. He could do stand up comedy for a living if he ever lost his job.

(And in the course of fishin with him I always manage to do something stupid. I try to keep it to one dumb thing every night, or every other night, and I haven't hooked a tree in awhile. )

If ya got a thin skin or can't take a good natured joke, he's not the guy ya wanna fish with. Someday I'm gonna put together a collection of these stories and pranks, from taping a guy's doors shut when he's sleeping in his truck after a night of fishin, to putting a blow up doll in a guy's car and telling his wife to ride by a certain street to look for him. Bad bad stories, but all funny as hell.

He lets it all fly when he wants to say something. It's all good, all real, no phony BS...

just fishin, sarcastic jabs, and more fishin.

way to go on the releases guys. Looks like you are getting some nice fish there.

Wink live comedy

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Believe me Bro, he's holding back big time with his commentary on this site. If you ever get the chance to fish together you'll see. He's got running commentary on every type of person out there. From dillydocks to pros to half-naked floozies running drunk through the streets, he's got some stories. He could do stand up comedy for a living if he ever lost his job.

(And in the course of fishin with him I always manage to do something stupid. I try to keep it to one dumb thing every night, or every other night, and I haven't hooked a tree in awhile. )

If ya got a thin skin or can't take a good natured joke, he's not the guy ya wanna fish with. Someday I'm gonna put together a collection of these stories and pranks, from taping a guy's doors shut when he's sleeping in his truck after a night of fishin, to putting a blow up doll in a guy's car and telling his wife to ride by a certain street to look for him. Bad bad stories, but all funny as hell.

He lets it all fly when he wants to say something. It's all good, all real, no phony BS...

just fishin, sarcastic jabs, and more fishin.
    we will get to meet if every one give some input on the fishing trip or BBQ

I just remembered this thread. I don't always put my bass back but we did the other day. We released bass of 27 and 31 lbs. Good mojo to all of you on trying to promote this concept in a non-nagging manner.

Quote Originally Posted by voyager35 View Post
    We launched yesterday for a 2-10pm trip out of point pleasant. We found bunker shortly after getting out there, and managed bass of 20, 27, and 31lbs. Kept the 20 as it was bleeding heavily. The action was short lived and we didn't have much success after that.

6-6 caught and released 2 keepers. good thread guys.
    It only lasted an hour, managed 2 bass to 28lbs, released. The crowding wasn't that bad where I was fishing, and the fish had the bunker corraled, it was great.

Default LI fisherman releases a 48.6lb bass!

Just read this, wow. wtg, I don't know if I could do that.

Decided to get the monkey off my back today after going 0/2 with the bass and bunker outside the inlet this week so last night I decided I wasnt going to go to work today that I would play hooky and give it one more try to cash in on this run, so after leaving a little late this morning I headed out of my canal towards the channel when some splashing caught my eye at the end of the bulkhead , as I got closer I noticed what appeared to be a Brant that was caught up in some mono that was tangled on the wood, so after going back and forth in my head whether or not I was going to stop to release this bird from its mono death grip I pulled along side of the bulkhead and assessed the situation,after taking off my boots and socks I rolled up my pants and jumped in the water and went after the bird by then it was almost dead and was barely able to keep it's head out of the water, seeing that he just had the mono around its neck i cut it with a knife and the bird slowly swam away , satisfied with the good deed I was hoping to be rewarded for my act of kindness,

as I headed towards the inlet I ran over some rope from a crab trap that fowled my prop and spent another few minutes taking care of that problem,by now the sun was already up and i broke the inlet not wanting a repeat of yesterday with the madhouse of boats that were fishing west I veered east and made my way down the beach, started cruising in about 30 feet of water when all of sudden the depth recorder shot up to 15 feet as i looked at the sonar it appeared to be huge schools of bunker down deep so I broke out the weighted treble and was able to snag a couple of fish, after putting a few in the well i hooked one up with a egg sinker rig and a 8/0 circle hook and sent him on his way,

within a couple of minutes the line began to peel from the reel so I gave the fish enough time to chew and set the hook, at first I didnt think I had a bass because this fish ran and did not stop even after applying pressure to the spool with my thumb I noticed that I was almost down to my backing and started to sweat, finally after a short but hard battle the fish came to the top and i reeled it to the boat without much struggle and slip her right into the net, after bottoming out a thirty pound boga i got the 100 pound berkley digital one and it read 48.6 lbs, I did it twice to make sure,so after a couple of quick pictures I put the fish back on the boga again and placed her back into the water to revive her after, a few minutes of running water thru the gills the fish started to swim upright and I watched as all the fins started to move and her tail was gently thrusting side by side a few tugs on the grip and I knew she was ready to go so I released the grip and watched as she slowey moved off swimming down deep, dropped a few more fish after that but was satisfied with that one fish, strong south winds made it even more uncomfortable with a 2-3 foot chop so I called it a day and headed back to the barn.

bass and boot

48.6 ....P.B

^^^^Great job!

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast