Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The life of a skisher

Default Skishing featured on Nat. Geo's series "Hooked"

Stripercoast Surfcasters Club member Paul Melnyk posted this on our private message forum a couple weeks ago. Thought some of you might be interested in checking it out! Can't wait to skish with Paul next week!

Quote Originally Posted by Melnyk
    I have heard that a certain skisher will be featured on the National Geographic channel, on their popular series called "Hooked". This episode will air October 18th at 9pm eastern and is intitled "Extreme Fishing". So, if you wanna know how skishing was born, get out the clicker!

Stripercoast Surfcasters Club
    Dedicated to Conservation

Thanks for the heads up. Will definitely watch it.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I don't know anything about skishing, so I plan on watching. Thanks.

Default Just a reminder

Looking forward to it.

Our buddy Blasko is becoming famous.

I was poking around on Vimeo last night, and he's got his own videographer. They do great work, though, and edit in music and fit it all to make it seamless.

One thing about the guy, he doesn't play any political games, what you see is what you get.

Here are the videos, please excuse the language, but that's Blasko.

Skishing at night

Default Request for our members to start posting Vimeo videos

It's easy to do, guys and girls. You go to www.vimeo.com look for the "tools" option from the pull-down menus at the top right.

Then you can search for the member by name, which is easiest.

You can also search by topic/subject/tag that the creator of the video used.

You're all so great at posting the ones from youtube. I would like this site to start showcasing some more Vimeo videos as well. Although not as popular as youtube, it's a rapidly growing site that offers far superior quality and better control over the video. The filmmakers at Vimeo tend to be more serious and into creating works of art.

So please do searches over there when you have time and post up the good Vimeo videos here.

Examples of search strings you can use:

surf fishing
    NJ fishing
    NY fishing
    Delmarva fishing

fishing (Prob best not to use this as you'll get too many other videos in the results and have to wade through them. It's too broad a category right now.)

Here's a refresher course on embedding for anyone who wants to learn. It's a few simple steps, and pretty soon you may not need to do this at all here. (Maybe )

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=7

Try the following format:" youtube " "value" " /youtube " (but without the quotes, and using brackets [ ] around the youtube parts)

1. You first type:" youtube " (without the quotes, and put a bracket " [" before the "y" and "]" after the "e")

2. Then, c&p the ID from youtube (the "value"). This will include copying ALL the letters after the "V=" part, up to but not including the & part. Insert this ID right after your first part, no spaces.

3. Then, you type:" /youtube " (NO spaces between the value, and this, or it will not work. You will also type brackets around that "/youtube", as described above/)

Everything should look EXACTLY as it is portrayed above. No spaces between anything, just text.

Pretty simple. Give it a try.

Hey guys you can now open vimeo videos on our site as well, and we're working on embedding some others. Just add the code the same as you would with youtube, but with the vimeo parameters below:

vvvimeo ID letters/vv

Don't forget to put the brackets [ ] on each side of the vv identifiers.

Last edited by DarkSkies; 02-08-2010 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Added Vimeo code.

"I skish so I don't have to fish next to this guy"
    That Blasko looks like he's got a couple of screws loose. He definitely has more stones than I do. I always wanted to try skishing but it's the little thiings that keep me away, the great white sharks, the rip current, unseen boats in the night, etc. I give him a lot of credit for doing that.

I have wanted to try it too, but there don't seem to be many places in NJ where skishing would make sense other than some of the jetties you can't get to in the Bradley beach area.

Hardcore, there is no other word to describe it. You would never catch me doing that, to each his own. Well done videos.

Skishing is something I never want to do.
    Its not for me.
    But to those that do it, its hardcore, be careful out there.
    Stones the size of boulders.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Skishing is something I never want to do.
    Its not for me.
    But to those that do it, its hardcore, be careful out there.
    Stones the size of boulders.

What he ^^^said

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I, on the other hand, am looking forward to my first time skishing this spring. My wife is even getting me fins for Valentines Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    I, on the other hand, am looking forward to my first time skishing this spring. My wife is even getting me fins for Valentines Day.
    You lucky dog, what are ya getting her?

Hardcore!

Sick and twisted. I imagine the same adrenalin level as surfing in Hawaii during a hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    You lucky dog, what are ya getting her?
    A full day in front of the TV watching the Daytona 500.

Totally sick. The guy in the video is funny with his comments. He sounds a little psycho, I liked it.

dude i want to try that. im a good swimmer, anyone know how much all the stuff costs to get into it?

You need a good wetsuit ($150-$400), good fins($50-$200), a dive knife($60-$150), whistle, gloves($30), booties($75) a wrist compass($50-$200+), and most importantly a submersible reel ($700-$1000).

Do not get in the water without knowing what the weather is and what the tides and currents do in that area.

Out of this world crazy. He looks like he is having a blast though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast