Thread: would you rather liveline or use artificials for your fish?

Default would you rather liveline or use artificials for your fish?

I don't know a lot about plugs and different lures, just learning. I see some big bass being caught with the live baits, eels, bunker, spot. Which methods do you guys prefer to use the most, liveline or artificials?

Its 100% artificials for me. I have an awesome fun time tricking fish into taking artificials.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

At one time the ocean would be right up to a certain wall, before they filled it all in with sand. I would buy a few Bunker, throw them in a hardly functioning aerator and walk those Bunker back and forth that wall. I’d hold that line in my fingers and wait till I could feel that Bunker get a little nervous, then the stick would start to bounce a little as the line started to play out. The bail was set and the drag would take over. More often it would be limp, a missed set. I enjoyed those times and carry a snag hook with me at certain times of the year now, hardly ever use anymore.

But nothing excites me more than throwing an artificial out there. Like I have stated in other posts- trying to get a Bass to go after what I want to throw-even if it’s going against the grain. It’s just too enjoyable for me.

i do both so i am good eather way

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Its 100% artificials for me. I have an awesome fun time tricking fish into taking artificial.

What he said^^^ to me bait is not a challenge and I get very bored sitting there.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I for the most part throw plugs thats what I like to do occassionaly me and the wife will hang on the beach at night and throw the bait out there a couple beers or a bottle of wine and do the bait and wait I'll look for good structure early on and head there at dusk and have a relaxing night on the beach sometimes you need to mix it up a bit.One thing I will say though the biggest fish have been caught on bait.

I am always up for the challenge so artificials is what I am all about. Every once in a while I'll bring out some fresh bait.

I am a plug guy. I will do eels. Those are not bait but plugs with really good movement.

I was out a few years ago on a charter boat. We caught some bunker and did some livelining in an inlet. That little guy was alive for about two hours. I didn't catch a damn thing. He got a free pass to rejoin his school. That is my livelining story.

Is drifting worms for trout considered livelining?

I'm also 100% artificials.

I am turning more into a plug and metal guy. Do you know how I know. Because I need a new bag now. I CANT FIT IT ALL IN MY BAG ANYMORE. LOLOLOL

Its more of a challenge to trick them with artificials. For the big girls, 90% of them are taken on live bunker or eels. Thats a fact, Jack.

I agree, If they are on bunker, a live bunker on a hook is the best "lure" for them.

Love my plugging but if they are on a large school of bunker livelining is the ticket.If they are on a smaller school I may still be tempted to try a plug for awhile if I draw nada then I'll snag one unless they are all blues then you just end up losing snag hooks even with wire leaders they are so damn voracious one of them will get to the line eventually.I've used 6 ft. wire leaders and still got cut off in a thick school of blues.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

I try a variety, my surf rod and a clam come with me, watching the tip puts me to sleep until im rudly awakened by a bass lol, so i bring a plug or bucktail too on a spare rod. My favorite is jumpng from rock to rock with a live bunker and buckett.

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    Love my plugging but if they are on a large school of bunker livelining is the ticket.
    What he said. The fever pitch of bass over bunker will give you the biggest bass from livelining a big bunker. Sure you can catch them with large pencils too. But if you want the bigger bass, they're keyed in to that bunker. Feed it to them and hold on.