Thread: In the field - the surf plug renaissance

Default In the field - the surf plug renaissance

"Not since the heyday of surf fishing in the 1950s and 1960s—when dozens of surf fishermen started crafting tougher versions of the big wooden plugs muskie fishermen had been using for decades in the lakes of the Midwest—has there been so many plug makers producing classic designs, as well as a few innovative new shapes."

Thank for sharing that strikezone. Not trying to be a ball buster but as the numbers of striped bass in the surf become less, you will have less need for the big wood. I do have some wood, but IMO many of the new makers out there don't even swim their plugs or test them before they sell to the unsuspecting public. The newbie buyers drool over the colors, flash, or scale patterns. Really, all that matters is how the plug swims. I love those plugs when bunker are around, but most of the other times use rubber, metal, bucktails, and small plastic swimmers to hang fish. To each his own. Again, no disrespect meant.

I would give anything to have been fishing the surf in the 1950's with some of the legends. The fishing must have been off the charts back then.

hey i am a newbie i have some time under my belt but for a plug maker that does not test there plugs how do they know it works right or swims right . as for me i am old school i test every plug i make that way i know if it works right before i use it or give it to a freind to give me feedback IMO