Thread: Releasing a seagull or seabird

Default Releasing a seagull or seabird

So who here has ever gotten a bird tangled in a line or hook? I tangled a seagull today. A few friends helped me get it close and cut the line. Any better ways than that? thanks

If it's just line, not braid, better to cut it and re-ty if you think the bird can reasonably get out of it once set free. Make sure no unseen bundings on the wings, or you will have to re-catch him.

Otherwise, I always keep a rag or towel handy, put it over the head, bird gets a lot calmer.

I second the towel over the head. So many guys get irritated, stupid birds have to eat too. Make sure you have the bird's head and neck firmly in your grip.

An example of how it is done

Thanks guys I got birds stuck in my line twice last year. I ended up cutting the line as close as I could to the bird because I didn't know what else to do.

Twice here as well. It's not fun fighting a gull that wants to get away. You'll definitely need another pair of hands if you want to get it out without tangling your line too badly. I was fishing braid both times and the first time I let the bird flop on the water a little too long and it really tangled the line around its wing and knotted it up pretty good. Had to cut the wing off. Just kidding. i had to cut the line and start over.

The second time it happened I reeled the gull in as quickly as I could and the line came off relatively easy.

Both times the birds were released unharmed. I'll bet they had a story to tell though.