Thread: Sen. Snowe, Rep. Frank Call on NOAA to Re-examine Decade Long

Default Sen. Snowe, Rep. Frank Call on NOAA to Re-examine Decade Long

8:22pm Wednesday feb 17

Sen. Snowe, Rep. Frank Call on NOAA to Re-examine Decade Long Rebuilding Timeline for Overfished Fish Stocks
    WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Olympia J. Snowe (R-Maine), Ranking Member of the Senate Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries and Coast Guard, and U.S. Representative Barney Frank (D-Mass.) today urged the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to fund a National Research Council study of the 10-year timeline for rebuilding overfished fish stocks, as mandated by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSA).

In a letter to NOAA Administrator, Dr. Jane Lubchenco, the lawmakers called for an independent study to determine the economic and ecological costs and benefits as well as the scientific underpinnings of the mandate to rebuild all overfished fish stocks within 10 years. The study would also address the feasibility of rebuilding all fish stocks simultaneously, the impact of non-fishing related factors such as climate change and coastal development and pollution on fish stock recovery, and would probe whether current investment in fisheries science is sufficient to meet the National Standards established in the MSA.

“Fisheries are an economic engine for our coastal communities, and the Magnuson-Stevens Act includes a commitment to achieve optimum yield from our fisheries while minimizing adverse economic impact. Congressman Frank and I are asking NOAA to fund this study to determine whether the 10-year rebuilding timeline best meets these mandates,” said Senator Snowe. “We all share the goal of managing our fisheries sustainably to benefit both the fishermen of today and for future generations. This study would provide a truly independent assessment of the economic and ecological costs and benefits of the current system and ultimately suggest ways to enhance fishery management.”

“I am pleased to join Senator Snowe in calling for NOAA to fund a study by the National Academy of Science’s National Research Council to provide an independent assessment of the 10-year rebuilding timeline, focusing on its ecological and economic costs and benefits,” said Frank. “The rigid and arbitrary 10 year rebuilding timeline was one of my major objections to the Magnuson-Stevens Act, and I believe the time has come for it to be reevaluated.”

This compliments Senator Schumer's actions. It appears that some of our representatives are stepping up to the plate.

February 17, 2010 - U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer (D-NY) called on U.S. Secretary of Commerce Gary Locke, NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco, and NMFS Administrator Patricia Kurkul to issue an immediate moratorium on the flawed survey data used to implement recreational fishing quotas for the East Coast.

Last week, Sen. Schumer asked Kurkul to issue an across-the-board moratorium on this flawed survey data in 2010 so that black sea bass and other species like fluke and porgies are not unfairly shutdown by bad science. "Acknowledging the problems with MRFSS, a new system mandated by the Magnuson-Stevens Act will be coming online in the coming years," the senator wrote, adding "it would be patently unfair to punish anglers by reducing their quota due to erroneous landings estimates produced with a broken system. I request that NMFS dismiss future recreational overages predicted by MRFSS until the new system is fully implemented and calibrated by NOAA."

Schumer told the crowd of anglers and business owners, stressing the need to fix the Magnuson Stevens Act. Schumer is lead sponsor of Senate Bill 1255, the Flexibility in Rebuilding American Fisheries Act and urged show patrons to join him in a rally on the Capitol on February 24th while calling on "bureaucrats" to immediately fix the data collection system.

"We've got to change the rules here," Schumer said to a loud applause.

To view Sen. Schumer's letter to NOAA, click here.

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    8:22pm Wednesday feb 17

Sen. Snowe, Rep. Frank Call on NOAA to Re-examine Decade Long Rebuilding Timeline for Overfished Fish Stocks
    WASHINGTON, D.C. – U.S. Senator Olympia J. Snowe (R-Maine), Ranking Member of the Senate Subcommittee on Oceans, Atmosphere, Fisheries and Coast Guard, and U.S. Representative Barney Frank (D-Mass.) today urged the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to fund a National Research Council study of the 10-year timeline for rebuilding overfished fish stocks, as mandated by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act (MSA).

In a letter to NOAA Administrator, Dr. Jane Lubchenco, the lawmakers called for an independent study to determine the economic and ecological costs and benefits as well as the scientific underpinnings of the mandate to rebuild all overfished fish stocks within 10 years. The study would also address the feasibility of rebuilding all fish stocks simultaneously, the impact of non-fishing related factors such as climate change and coastal development and pollution on fish stock recovery, and would probe whether current investment in fisheries science is sufficient to meet the National Standards established in the MSA.

“Fisheries are an economic engine for our coastal communities, and the Magnuson-Stevens Act includes a commitment to achieve optimum yield from our fisheries while minimizing adverse economic impact. Congressman Frank and I are asking NOAA to fund this study to determine whether the 10-year rebuilding timeline best meets these mandates,” said Senator Snowe. “We all share the goal of managing our fisheries sustainably to benefit both the fishermen of today and for future generations. This study would provide a truly independent assessment of the economic and ecological costs and benefits of the current system and ultimately suggest ways to enhance fishery management.”

“I am pleased to join Senator Snowe in calling for NOAA to fund a study by the National Academy of Science’s National Research Council to provide an independent assessment of the 10-year rebuilding timeline, focusing on its ecological and economic costs and benefits,” said Frank. “The rigid and arbitrary 10 year rebuilding timeline was one of my major objections to the Magnuson-Stevens Act, and I believe the time has come for it to be reevaluated.”

This compliments Senator Schumer's actions. It appears that some of our representatives are stepping up to the plate.
    Actually, this undermines Sen Schumer's bill. For one thing, the NRC will have to base part of the assessment on NOAA's science and we all know how accurate that is. Also, Schumer's bill deals with rebuilding fisheries on a one to one basis allowing for flexibility when warranted and tighter regs when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Duskydaze View Post
    Actually, this undermines Sen Schumer's bill. For one thing, the NRC will have to base part of the assessment on NOAA's science and we all know how accurate that is. Also, Schumer's bill deals with rebuilding fisheries on a one to one basis allowing for flexibility when warranted and tighter regs when needed.
    Dusky, you made a good point here. The assessment on fishing is never accurate. I doubt it ever will be. I wonder how many guys are not truthful when stating how many fish they caught. On a large scale how many fish are killed by gillnetters or commercials.

After attending the March on Washington yesterday and hearing Barney Frank speak I am beginning to wonder whether or not he understood the implications of his support of Rep Snowe's letter to NOAA. Frank seemed like he was totally on board with the Pallone bill and in complete support of much needed flexibility.

Glad to see you attended Dusky. I was wondering if you could give us your perspective of what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    Glad to see you attended Dusky. I was wondering if you could give us your perspective of what happened.
    Sure, let me start by saying I have been involved in fisheries management issues since 1980. I started with bluefin tuna issues and now attend and participate in as many meetings as I can. And I can honestly say that I never expected a day like yesterday. My guess is that there were between 3000 to 4000 fishermen. The amazing part was that there were commercial fishermen standing with recreational fishermen standing with industry people (both commercial and recreational), all with individual concerns yet all with a common goal; stop the bleeding and fix the Magnuson Stevens Act. It was encouraging to see and hear from about 20 Senators and Congressmen. However, as a voting citizen from New Jersey I felt embarrassed by my own state's political presence. Congressman Pallone wrote the bill and besides him our only other state supporters are Congressman Lobiondo and Congressman Adler.These three are always there for us. Worse yet neither of our Senators support Senator Schumer's bill. Enough negativity, it was a great day and a new beginning. There is much work to be done. Everyone should contact their Senators and Congressmen and make sure they sign on to the 2 bills. Also, call your friends and relatives and ask them to do the same. Let's keep the momentum going strong. We can and will make a difference!

Thanks for posting that. It is good to get different peoples perspective's. I am going to copy this and put in in the Washington march thread.