Thread: Rod Builders: What to look for?

Default Rod Builders: What to look for?

I know absolutely nothing about rod building. If I had the time, I might want to try. Even so, there would be a steep learning curve involved. I expect my first rod, even if it looked good, would be the crappiest casting rod ever made.

How would I know that without even trying? Because like everything else, becoming a good rod builder comes with experience and putting your time in. It can't be learned overnight.

There's nothing wrong with a guy wanting to learn how to build how own rod. There's a sense of satisfaction that comes with doing something on your own that is indescribable unless you've actually done it.

What about if you don't have the time or resources to build your own rod??

You can always buy one off the shelf. The models they sell now are much lighter and cause less fatigue than the ones they sold 30 years ago. If you fish only a few days a season, you might be very happy with one of many good brands you can select from in a tackle shop.

The problem with the future is that some makers are now making more blanks in 2 pieces because of the high cost of shipping a 1 piece. As the rod gets into the 9-10' or longer range for surfcasters, 2 piece blanks become a problem if you use them a lot.

Default What's a hardcore surfcaster to do?

As you become more experienced and spend more days/week on the water, you realize besides your skill and intuition, your rod and reel is one of the main tools you will use to bring that big fish in. Hopefully one day you will nail a trophy, or at least your personal best.

You start to realize that without the appropriate tools, if you're out there in the middle of the night, you may one night lose the fish of a lifetime.

So you start to upgrade your gear, a little at a time, as you can afford it. Some guys upgrade to a more modern conventional reel to make sure they won't lose a big one. Others gravitate toward the spinners and the higher end ZB or VS reels.

Still others realize that either because of the wet environment and rough conditions, a 2 rod piece gradually becomes a liabilty, unless you're willing to epoxy the pieces together.

Default What you should look for in a builder?

As I said, many guys who don't have the time or skills to build one themselves will start looking for a custom rod builder. How do you decide who to choose?

Reading some threads out there convinced me some people choose a builder based on whether the guy is popular or has internet popularity. That's fine, IF the builder is talented and experienced.

What if the guy you think is behind the work is sending it somewhere else, how can you be assured of quality workmanship?

How can you be assured the rod being built will match you and the fishing you do?

I have nowhere near the knowledge a lot of you other people have out there about rod builders. In the past few weeks, I've learned a few things about what to look for, and the heartache people experience when they blindly give the job to someone they don't know.

I'll try to share some of those suggestions here:

1. First of all, you should know who is actually building the rod. A lot of places farm out their work. Who is the guy is doing the work? You really want the answer to that question. He's not just "some guy". He's the guy responsible for your fishing enjoyment when you're fishing for 5-8 hours at a time, and don't want to have unnecessary aches and pains. If the rod isn't built to match you, you may have shoulder problems.

2. What is their building experience? Salt, fresh, strictly offshore, strictly surf, or a combination of one or all? Rod building is a great way for a kid to start out learning at the table of a master, but you don't want that kid building your rod unless his work is supervised. Actually, if I were doing the choosing, I would rather have the master builder build my rod. There's no room in my budget for mistakes.

3. Do they ask questions about what Model reel or reels you will be using on that rod? That's an important step a good builder won't skip on because the setup depends on the answer.

4. Will they balance the rod to the reel you will be using? I only recently learned about this. Not balancing a reel and rod together can give you some fatigue over long casting sessions.

5. Do they really know what they're talking about when they talk about splining a rod? One that isn't done right will will whip to the left or right when casting straight. This is not optimal and can result in decreased casting distance and fatigue.

We have a thread in this forum I found fascinating, where Gunny aka Stripercoast1 details his early experiences as a kid building rods in a tackle shop. Everyone has to learn somewhere. The thing that stands out in that thread is how he took that experience and learned from it to become one of the better rod builders in his area.

I'm sure there are a lot more things one should look for. I started this thread because of the mis-information I was seeing on other threads.

Feel free to chime in with any suggestions for choosing a custom builder, or experiences you may have had.

I've been building custom rods and do rod repairs since 1972. If anyone has any questions feel free to give me a shout

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

^ I was compelled to say some nice things about ya today ya grouchy basstid....
    Happy and Healthy Christmas to you and your family.....

Someone was asking for a rod or builder recommendation:

"I can recommend finchaser.
    1. He's been building Custom rods for over 30 years....doesn't farm out any of his work.

2. In fact, he's the one that some shops in your area farm their work out to

3. Several of the area's Capts and private charters bring rods in to him every winter for rebuilding as well.

4. He is kind of a gruff and grouchy basstid........a true old salt....
    He is more honest and candid than most people you have ever met....I say this with respect because when someone wants him to build them a Custom rod, he puts a lot of thought into you, your intensity of use, size (height, etc)....and is one of the few I know of who will ask you to bring in the reel you will most likely pair it up with, so it is perfectly balanced when he hands it to you.......... and give you an honest answer each time.

He has never had a complaint about one of the rods he built as a custom, or re-built for others.....
    Do a search on his name...."

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Hell ya Asbury is the best in the world cant wait! The other ones are good too. Why are you waiting till april 6 the season starts on mar1.
    April 6th is about 5 1/2 months from the shoulder surgery. They say in 6 months should be in decent shape, I have had the 6th on the calendar as the target before the surgery. While I am doing great on the recovery Im still a good month from attempting a cast. So the 6th seems perfect. I usually start late March fishing. I am really looking forward to the shows, its the perfect lead into the season.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Good for you, it will be nice to have you back. You do know you may have to stay away from the 10 to 11 foot rods and fish 9' . Balanced tackle also helps immensely.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    Good for you, it will be nice to have you back. You do know you may have to stay away from the 10 to 11 foot rods and fish 9' . Balanced tackle also helps immensely.
    Reluctantly a bit, about a month ago I realized it. Decided to start the season off with a light and balanced 9 footer. Will see where I can go from there. Thinking on working on becoming an ambidextrous caster.

if you need me to do anything on the rods for you call me. By the way my biggest rod is 9'6" never needed anything bigger I can throw my 9' CTS and Super surf further than most with an 11' ask Dark. Your a small guy you may find that also.

if you need me to do anything on the rods for you call me. By the way my biggest rod is 9'6" never needed anything bigger I can throw my 9' CTS and Super surf further than most with an 11' ask Dark. Your a small guy you may find that also.
    Ok, thank you, I used a 9' rod last year at the end. So if I have an extremely light 11 foot rod, does that make things better, or is really the rod length that stresses the shoulder?

if you need me to do anything on the rods for you call me. By the way my biggest rod is 9'6" never needed anything bigger I can throw my 9' CTS and Super surf further than most with an 11' ask Dark.
    Aah.....you know how those Eyetalians are always bragging how they can do something better than others....
    I gotta chime in here, just ball busting him...but what he says is all true.....he can, and does, consistently outcast most guys on the beach.....and over the decades he's been involved in fishing and rod building, understands the basic physics of it......casting has a lot to do with your presentation, height to rod ratio, stance, and understanding of how each rod loads and works best.......

Generally speaking......If you're 6' or taller, IMO you are in a better position to throw a longer rod.....if not, you can learn to use a shorter rod to maximize your casts, and possibly get maximum distance. I use my 10'6" rod when the fish are beyond the breakers but there are times when I do just as well (and with less fatigue) with a shorter stick........

You should take him up on that most generous offer....he really knows casting, and what's best suited for each person, once he fishes with ya and gets a chance to see how you fish........

He did mention to me that with your shoulder surgery you would be now best suited to shorter rods if you want to keep that shoulder strong and minimize re-injury.......take a ride to see him in April and let him critique your casting...bring a few different length rods with you and get feedback on each........it's an offer that will provide invaluable insight....