Thread: Why The striped bass?

Default Why The striped bass?

I have asked myself this so many times but I would like to hear others opinions.

Why is there so much fascination with the striped bass compared to other species?

Default Re: The striped bass

I think for the most part that bass get so big, the thrill of the hunt for the trophy for me a blue or weakfish even fluke is just fine I just like what I do.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Look at freshwater fishing. You catch a bass you know it will prob be 2-5 lbs. Pickerel 2-5lbs. Yellow perch 1-2lbs, sometimes one that goes 2 1/2 but thats a biggun.

It's one of the only fish for surf fishermen that when you are fishing for it you could catch a 5 lb bass, and the next one to come along might be 50 lbs. That thrill of how big will the next one be, that's part of the game I like to play when I am out there. There are other fish like that bluefish for example. I get excited about them too.. What other saltwater fish you can catch from shore will have the size range of the striped bass?

I agree with what Steve said. The thrill of not knowing how big your catch will be. It is like winning the lotterry when there are a lot of small school bass and all of the sudden someone catches a cow.

Sorry don't mean to be a buzzkiller here but as far as eating fish I think tog and seabass taste better.

Hell yeah they are eating a good non oily diet...Bunker although a primary food source for bass,blues&weaks makes everything that eats it taste like crap...
    Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Sorry don't mean to be a buzzkiller here but as far as eating fish I think tog and seabass taste better.
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

There are other species that get bigger and are accessible from shore like drum.

There seems to be a halo around striper fishing though. In FW you also have your "bass only" guys when there are much bigger species available but I can understand that with all the tournament $ to go around.

I am wondering if anyone knows what the ratio is for fisherman participating in tournaments vs. those who don't?

I am not very good a catching bass. For some reason I have trouble setting the hook. I would love a catch a something over 30 lbs then throw it back. Maybe this is my year!

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Look at freshwater fishing. You catch a bass you know it will prob be 2-5 lbs. Pickerel 2-5lbs. Yellow perch 1-2lbs, sometimes one that goes 2 1/2 but thats a biggun.

It's one of the only fish for surf fishermen that when you are fishing for it you could catch a 5 lb bass, and the next one to come along might be 50 lbs. That thrill of how big will the next one be, that's part of the game I like to play when I am out there. There are other fish like that bluefish for example. I get excited about them too.. What other saltwater fish you can catch from shore will have the size range of the striped bass?
    I'm with ya on this, I used to fly fish streams for trout. Walking stream banks,wading into the streams and rivers, looking for eddys, under cuts in banks, deep pools, rapids where trout would await a meal. Could always find solitude out there. I do the same ocean or bay side, but the fish are bigger. No more streams or rivers for me.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

What baba said much better things to eat as the bigger ones are almost up there with bluefish from eating bunker . The thrill of the hunt and they should be a game fish to ensure there survival for generations to come

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Try waiting a few more seconds before you set the hook Pebbles and it takes a bit more to penetrate the bass jaw I know you have a bad shoulder so that may be hindering you also.For the record I don't fish tournaments I only need to prove to myself what I can do.I also fish alone 90% of the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    I am wondering if anyone knows what the ratio is for fisherman participating in tournaments vs. those who don't?

I am not very good a catching bass. For some reason I have trouble setting the hook. I would love a catch a something over 30 lbs then throw it back. Maybe this is my year!
    Cranky Old Bassturd.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    The thrill of the hunt and they should be a game fish to ensure there survival for generations to come
    Agree on the gamefish status. Would save them overall as a species. I like fishing for them over some other species because of the variety. One fish could be 22" annd the next could be 22 pounds.

Was searching for an older thread and came across this. I thought it was a good discussion and wondered if anyone had anything they might like to add. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by J Barbosa View Post
    I have asked myself this so many times but I would like to hear others opinions.

Why is there so much fascination with the striped bass compared to other species?

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    What baba said much better things to eat as the bigger ones are almost up there with bluefish from eating bunker . The thrill of the hunt and they should be a game fish to ensure there survival for generations to come
    Agreed. What would the state of New Jersey fishing economy be if there were no striped bass to fish for?

A great video that talks about why

Fishing is like a drug. Well put!