Thread: Murder on the great lakes

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by ledhead36 View Post
    These nets are true killing machines! They are held down on the bottom and open by using large steel dagger boards that weigh 200 to 300 lbs. (est.) ....

Just because these boats are working in deep water a long way offshore and out of sight of the average person does not mean they are not there doing terrible damage. These nets do not know the difference between a Smelt and a small school of Perch or Trout or any other species and they are all smothered to death in the net.
    Many of the commercial fishermen realize that the lake can not sustain this kind of abuse. These nets are the same type of nets that have devastated the Cod stocks on the East Coast.

I know of several gill net fishermen who have spoken out against the trawlers. There are still others who agree, but cannot justify refusing the extra income to be made trawling, and continue to do it begrudgingly.. I realize they are just trying to make a living. But at what expense? Regardless of how much money this fishing generates it just can not justify the horrific damage that is being done to the ecosystem. The fishery cannot survive much longer if something is not done.
    I like the way he set that story up. Might be a little dramatic, but it grabs your attention. I don't have the answer to your question though.

Default raping the water

I sure hope those trawlers save that money they are making,they're gonna need it later,,,,,

R-P
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,