Thread: SUP fishing?

Default SUP fishing?

Looks awesome, some of these people are ill.
    Hooking up with a marlin on a paddleboard? What an adrenaline rush.

That looks pretty intense. I think it would be most safe if there were not a lot of waves.

Default SUP fishing

Some would argue that it's not a kayak....so it doesn't belong here...
    I think that some guys who are kayakers seem to be faster in embracing it...so for now we'll put the thread here.......

SUPs. for those who don't know...are the stand up paddleboards that many surfers and others like to use on calm days.....they're good for getting in shape....off season....and just another way for some folks to move across the water....and enjoy the sights.......

I know some surfers who were fishing from their boards as long as 15 year ago...long before the SUPs were developed and strongly marketed.....

Just recently there has been a shift in the marketing mix...where fishermen are also seen as a user segment........

Some kayak dealers are now starting to carry them....

I know of a few guys and dealers that were pushing them as fishing platforms last year....for the SJ Bays...which are ideally suited to this type of fishing....flat.....hard access for boats....but containing a lot of creeks and sedge areas where the fish feed aggressively in low light periods.....making the SUP a perfect addition as a fishing vehicle for the angler who wants to target these fish unavailable to others......

The interesting tangent that has developed recently....is the use of SUPs as fly fishing platforms.....
    I believe they are ideally suited for that...
    Kayaks,traditionally low to the water, sometimes make it tough for the angler to strip and cast...or sight cast to feeding fish........

This, the natural positioning of SUPs to the guys who fly fish and want to travel on the water to incaccessible areas when doing so......

The idea for this thread came from a friend of mine who lives in the Western LI sound area....he is a multi-talented fisherman....and loves all kinds of fishing....We originally met because I was yak fishing in the Western Sound...and he was pretty generous and helpful with pointers...he knows that area like the back of his hand......

He is also obsessive about fly fishing...and has traveled to several areas of the US to fly fish on open water for gamefish........

It's natural that he would evolve his love of fly fishing to match with a SUP platform....
    This thread can be about that...or any other type of SUP fishing you folks want to discuss or post videos about........

I'll start off with his most recent trip....and his results...with pics of his rig and how he set it up...it might inspire some others out there to try it.....

His name is Chanan...internet handle thaistick....
    He's a member here as well.....
    What inspires me to talk more about him is he's constantly thinking out of the box....and challenging himself to look at fishing differently.......

His report 5-16-15
    Report and pics courtesy of Chanan AKA thaistick......
    SUP with rigging in the first pic.

"Took my new Sup for a ride, winds picked up hard to manage so I went to a near by island and had some fun with scrappy schoolies."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 161501.jpg   161502.jpg  

161503.jpg   161504.jpg  

Very cool. Have seen one or 2 guys doing that in the gsb. Never saw anyone flyfishing from one though.

pic of a surfer on a sup
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 063621.jpg  

orca bites the back of a guy's SUP. Gee looks like a lot of fun.
    http://www.grindtv.com/wildlife/orca...ZsiUzdKHl7v.97

Saw a guy in the back of rb this morning doing some of this fishing. It def looked kind of strange. I did not see him catch though he was trying.