Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Report: Greater Philadelphia outdoor Sportshow

Default The RFA booth

Got a chance to meet Joe Wrigley and Jim Wynn from the RFA.

Joe Wrigley, tri state RFA coordinator and PA delegate

Joe explains the benefits of getting involved.

Jim Wynn talks about the RFA and getting involved. Jim is an area Grassroots Coordinator for the RFA.

Nice meeting you guys, thanks for the perspectives.

Capt Rich Swisstack talks about St Croix and early season striped bass fishing.

We ran into Rich Swiss. He was there with his family to check out the show, and as the St Croix rep. He's been the St Croix rep for many years now, I believe they even designed one of their signature rods based on his recommendations.

Here he talks a little about St Croix, and a little about early season bass fishing in Raritan Bay. Thanks for the perspective, Rich.

Default Brody the bear

Brody the bear is a 1400lb grizzly/brown bear who was one of the most popular show attractions.

Some clips I shot:

One thing about chidren is they get bored quickly. You would not have noticed that at the Brody Bear exhiibit. The kids were mesmerized.

Here the trainer talks about differences between a defensive attack, and a predatory attack. Some decent bear tips. If one was ever attacked by a bear, I doubt many of us would be quick thinking enough to notice these subtle differences.

However, it was pretty interesting, and the advice given could save your life one day.

I have gone to many fishing shows with Rich. I have to say this was one of the best. It had something for everyone. The hunting section was just as lively as the fishing section. There were hundreds of vendors and for some reason each one had something different to offer.

I usually get bored to tears because how many plugs can you look at. Every vendor I saw held my attention in some way.

I enjoyed the fly casting demonstration. Something we are going to learn about this year.

There were these guys, Will and Richard Zelnner, with some plugs they made. They demonstrated how they worked by having a large tub of water and a small pole. I think Rich has them profiled above in a previous post.

This one guy Dan, explained to me all about the feathers of ducks. He had a large display which all said do not touch. He let me dig my finger in the bottom of one to see how thick the feathers are. It amazed me how soft some of the duck feathers can be.

My favorite of course was Brody the bear. I think it was good that they brought something like this to the show because it really brought informative information about bears. The owner went into great detail about bear safety.

They also had a dog show which discussed hunting dogs. That was good for all the kids. It showed how fast they can run and retrieve even in water.

When it comes around again I suggest you go. Bring the family on Sunday because that seemed to be family day.

Thanks for taking me Rich!

Dark great video's. Are you going to the suffern show? I think it is this weekend if you are pm me.

Baitstealer, I'm gonna try to be there one or more of the days this weekend. The Suffern show is one of the better shows and worth going to. You will see some of the same old, same old stuff, but also some plug and tackle makers you might not get to see in this area.

I was told Ace Baits might not make it there this year.
    Phil, the owner, is a great guy, and his plugs never disappoint.

There are many more things to see there, so I'd recommend the trip. I sent you a PM with my number, call me anytime.

There are also some great NJ shows this weekend, the Berkeley show, which should have quite a few plugbuilders, and the Ocean City fishing flea market. I'll try to start some threads about these later.

And of course there is the Asbury Park Club's show on Sun, March 14. It's without a doubt one of the most popular shows in the NJ/NY area. Builders from all over the country will be represented at that show.

Brody the bear

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP7118.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	10239

Name:	IMGP7123.JPG 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	10240

Name:	IMGP7124.JPG 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	10241

Name:	IMGP7125.JPG 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	10242

guy puts his head in Brody's mouth, several times. The kids went wild when he did this.

Name:	IMGP7133.jpg 
Size:	50.1 KB 
ID:	10243

Brody Bear snarls

Name:	IMGP7134.jpg 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	10244

Brody Bear stands

Looks like that show had many things to offer. It would have been quite a drive for me. Now I'm sorry I missed it. I guess I'll just have to be happy with the report. You did a nice job with the videos, felt like I was there.

Anyone going this year? Haven't went in a while and heard it got a little better so I'm going. Look for the guy with john deere shirt and eagles cap, say hi!
    http://www.readingeagle.com/sports/a...s-week-at-oaks

Thanks man will be going too. Link to show events.
    http://www.phillyexpocenter.com/view...nts/?mc_id=980

Quote Originally Posted by surferman View Post
    Look for the guy with john deere shirt and eagles cap, say hi!
    http://www.readingeagle.com/sports/a...s-week-at-oaks
    LOL, a show in Phila? That description only narrows it down to about 200 guys wearing the same gear.

haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12