Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Greater Philadelphia outdoor Sportshow

Default Report: Greater Philadelphia outdoor Sportshow

Greater Philadelphia outdoor Sportshow 2010
    Philly show is this weekend, guys and girls.

Greater Philadelphia Outdoor Sportshow, Greater Philadelphia Expo Center, Oaks, PA, February 25-28, 2010

http://www.sportshows.com/SEMINARSCH...PHILLY2010.pdf

Pebbles and I hit that Philly show in Oaks, PA today guys and girls. It was a very busy show. We got there early and stayed for awhile.

From what I was told, this show replaces the old one they used to have in Fort Washington, maybe some people remember that.

I heard from the people counting the money that the attendance numbers were great, beyond expectations. I was able to observe some of this for myself as there was a steady stream in and out of that place all day.

I talked to the vendors as well for their opinions of the traffic. Most said they were happy, with the only slight complaints that people weren't as eager to spend as much as they sometimes do. Given this poor economy, that's understandable and a common theme I've been hearing this Spring.

Default The attractions

There were so many there was something for everyone. Tons of families came out, many with 3 and 4 kids in tow. Lots of times the little ones get bored when the show just focuses on fishing or hunting.

But the variety of attractions like "Brody the Bear" featuring a 1400# brown/grizzly bear Brody, "The Raptor show" with owls, falcons, crows, and other birds of prey, the casting pool, trout pond, and some kiddie attractions were the perfect things to keep the kids busy, and wives/girlfriends too.

Pebbles doesn't always go with me to shows because at the straight fishing ones I tend to get into prolonged discussions about fishing or fisheries management.

At this show there was enough for her to do while I did my thing wandering around and shooting video of the things that caught my eye. She was also nice enough to take a few shots with the regular camera, thanks Pebbles.

I'm not gonna report on everything as it was too much to list. What I usually try to do is report on the stuff that catches my eye, and that a saltwater fisherman might be interested in, or some unusual or new product that I feel merits some discussion.

I'm trying to post during a bumpy road home, so I'll flesh out the posts now, and post the pics and vids when I have broadband access for downloading.

If you see an incomplete post that interests you, check back by Tue when it should all be finished and posted up.

some pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP7087.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	10182

Name:	IMGP7088.JPG 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	10183

Name:	IMGP7089.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	10184

Default Muddy Water tackle co

One of the first things that caught my eye was the Radtke pike minnow being sold by Will and Richard Zellner, 2 brothers from Chicago running the Muddy Water tackle co.

They had a show special of any 3 for $25. One of the brothers beat the heck out of the pike on the table to show how durable it was, great marketing.

"The man's not afraid to beat the crap out of his lures"

Name:	IMGP7091.JPG 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	10185

Name:	IMGP7092.JPG 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	10186

Name:	IMGP7093.JPG 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	10187

Name:	IMGP7094.JPG 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	10188

Default Dandy Dipper with Dan Franz

Guys use many scents and attractants to get fish. Dan put all that together in a package called the Dandy Dipper. Dan is also a big S American fishing fanatic, and towards the end of the video he shows pics and talks about the monster peacock bass he's caught in remote S American lakes and rivers.

Name:	IMGP7095.JPG 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	10189

Name:	IMGP7096.JPG 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	10190

Name:	IMGP7111.JPG 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	10191

Name:	IMGP7112.JPG 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	10192

JPR custom rods with Paul Rayburn. One of the hot topics in the rod building market is acid washed rods with offset guides. They look kinda funny until you get used to them. Paul gave us a little explanation of that.

Raptors, some cool pics and video.

Name:	IMGP7138.JPG 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	10193

Name:	IMGP7141.JPG 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	10194

Name:	IMGP7142.JPG 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	10195

The thing I liked most is watching the owls turn their heads around 180 degrees. I went off to shoot some more video. Pebbles stayed at the raptor section and described how the woman in charge let a bunch of kids in the area. They then did a series of tricks where these birds of prey through through circles the kids were making with their arms. Amazing stuff, and she said the kids had a blast.

That's one of the things I meant when I said there was something for everyone. It seemed like there were more than enough interesting things other than fishing to keep children happy.

The videos below are short, but they show the owls turning their heads as if on a swivel, way cool.

Name:	IMGP7100.JPG 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	10196

Name:	IMGP7101.JPG 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	10197

Name:	IMGP7102.JPG 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	10198

Default Treerider tree stand by Jim and Anthony Moran

This is a tree stand developed by Jim and Anthony Moran to give hunting access to handicapped hunters.

The two brothers are electricians and decided to make a real product that would make a difference.

Check them out at:
    Hawk outdoor products
    www.thetreerider.com

This caught my eye because we have as a member here the guy who started the original "Take a Soldier Fishing" program, Mike Nashif/aka fisterfam.

He also started the "Take a soldier hunting" offshoot program, and I believe some of the things they do is take handicapped soldiers hunting.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...oldier+fishing

This seemed like the Morans and Mike Nashif should get together, maybe they would consider donating one of those great tree stands to Mike's hunting program to help out and get some free publicity at the same time.

Default Tri-plex tackle co

Connie's brother gives a demo how to tie teasers

Name:	IMGP7107.JPG 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	10199

Name:	IMGP7106.JPG 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	10200

Name:	IMGP7108.JPG 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	10201

Tri plex is a small tackle company out of PA run by a Dad and his 2 children. They all work together striving to make this a successful business selling decent terminal rigs and hand made bucktails and teasers.

I first met the daughter Connie at the Point Pleasant fishing flea market. Sunday we met her brother and Dad, nice meetin you folks!

Default Got Stryper rubber baits

Matt Porter, associate of Capt Jim Hastbacka of Got Stryper charters, Chatham, Ma demonstrates some of the jumbo soft plastic baits they invented and now market.

One might think all soft plastics are the same, but these guys have a special design and pockets in their plastic that enables you to fish bigger hooks and special jig heads for jigging the big girls.

They will definitely be at RISSA in RI, and might be at the Suffern NY show next week, not sure.

Name:	IMGP7104.JPG 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	10202

Name:	IMGP7105.JPG 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	10203

Default Friends of the forgotten

Friends of the forgotten is a POW/MIA organization that some might be interested in learning more about.

We met Ed and Jane Thomas, vets who are involved in seeing that whatever remains of soldiers exist overseas are discovered and brought home. They try to get them a proper burial and closure for the families.

A little about them in the words of Ed and Jane...

Learn more about them at
    www.friendsoftheforgotten.org

The Intent and purpose of Friends of the Forgotten ® is to raise public awareness on the POW-MIA issue.

Friends of the Forgotten ® is not connected with or an affiliate of any other organization or political party.

Friends of the Forgotten ® is not intended to raise funds for profit. Any funds received or raised will be used for education, donations or operating expenses.

Friends of the Forgotten ® operates under the guidelines of the federal government for non-profit organizations.
    Meetings are open to the public and held on the first Monday of the Month at the Blue Comets Club, Skippack, PA at 7:30 P.M.
    All are welcomed to join us!

Default Hoping for soldier's return

I know this was supposed to be a fun show, but I thought I would post up something that Ed and Jane had at their table. This is about Bowe Bergdahl, who was still missing in Afghanistan as of Jan 11, 2010.

Some people might think what's the point of a POW/MIA organization since some of the wars in question have been over for many years. Well, this article shows they're still out there, at least Bowe is....

http://www.aiipowmia.com/inter2010/in110110brgoef.html
    Hoping for Solider's Return

11 January, 2010

Family still hopeful for soldier's release

By Raiza Canelon / Staff Writer

The family of Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl, the only U.S. soldier known to be held captive in Afghanistan, remains hopeful about his release despite a lengthy propaganda video released Christmas day that showed footage of him denouncing the U.S. military.

The family now lives in Hailey, Idaho, but has roots in the Santa Ynez Valley.

Bergdahl's sister, Sky Bergdahl, said that the family appreciates all the support it's receiving, even from as far away as Santa Barbara County, but the family has heard nothing else since her brother's captors released the video.

'We pray that Bowe's return is imminent and hope America will continue to stand in the gap for him as well as for our troops,' his sister wrote in an e-mail message.

Bergdahl, 23, disappeared June 30 while based in eastern Afghanistan. The Taliban claimed his capture in mid-July by releasing a video that showed the young soldier appearing downcast and frightened. He hadn't been heard from again until the Christmas Day video, in which he looks healthy and speaks clearly.

His parents, Bob and Jani Larson Bergdahl, are both graduates of Santa Ynez Valley Union High School, and his grandfather, Craig Larson, founded the Solvang Veterinary Hospital.

Wearing his U.S. military uniform and sunglasses in the latest video, Bergdahl remains expressionless as he says that the U.S. military should end its involvement in Afghanistan. His speech is flat and irregular, as though he is reading from a script.

Among other comments in the video, which combines narration in heavily accented English along with English and Arabic captions, Bergdahl says that Afghan soldiers are superior to those of the United States and their allies, and says American soldiers are fighting in Afghanistan only 'because of the stupidity of our leaders.'

'This is a horrible act which exploits a young soldier, who was clearly compelled to read a prepared statement,' said U.S. Navy Rear Admiral Gregory Smith, a spokesman for the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force. The ISAF confirmed that the man in the video is Bergdahl.

Valley residents were shocked in July when they found out the captured American was the son of people they knew.

Solvang Shoe Store owner Max Hanberg said he knew the Larson family when they lived in the Valley and is showing his support by placing a yellow ribbon outside his business.

'I graduated with Bob Bergdahl (the soldier's father), and thought it could have been a relative because that last name is not common and I knew they lived in Idaho. I feel sorry for their family and hope for his safe return,' recalled longtime Valley resident Aaron Petersen when he heard the news this summer.

Bergdahl is a member of 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, based at Fort Richardson, Alaska. He entered the Army in June 2008 and went through basic training in Fort Benning, Ga., according to Army reports.

Chris Nielsen, senior vice commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars chapter in Solvang, who retired from the Marines in 2006, said in July that the most important thing for Bergdahl was to stay alive, no matter what.

'He is trying to save his own life right now, and held by individuals that could end his life in a brutal way. Bowe is under tremendous pressure. I am sure he is trying the best he can to survive,' Nielsen said then.

The most recent video was posted by a group calling itself the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, which claims to be the media outlet for the Taliban, according to SITE Intelligence Group, a U.S.-based terrorist tracking organization.

In a recent press conference, Defense Department press secretary Geoff Morrell declined to give details about any rescue efforts or information about Bergdahl's whereabouts.

'I can tell you generally that ever since Pfc. Bergdahl went missing, it has been a top priority for our forces, particularly in (eastern Afghanistan), to find him, recover him, bring him home safely. And that remains the case today,' he told reporters at the Pentagon.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    The Santa Ynez Valley News

Default Interviews with Capts Gene Quigley and Jim Freda of Shore Catch guide service

I know of Shore Catch because Capt Rich Swisstack works for them.

They also came to my attention as I became aware of the way they run their charters. As I understand it, they take people out and their years of experience put people into fish, lots of them. There are tons of great reports out there by people who have had memorable trips with Shore Catch.

Because they also care about the resource and the future of striped bass, they do try to explain this to their clients and encourage catch and release of the bigger fish if it's not a trophy.

Of course, this is all up to the client. Every client is allowed to harvest as many fish as the law allows. The thing that strikes me differently about the Shore Catch guys is that they're at least trying to raise awareness of striped bass as a valuable recreational resource for the future.

In times when a few popular captains are out there claiming that the clients "force" them to either disregard EEZ laws by demanding fish, and other clients having a "kill all the bass they can" mentality, I think the guys at Shore Catch deserve a few for at least promoting dialogue and awareness.

As mentioned, no one wants to hear C&R preaching shoved down their throats, it'll never work that way.

But here we have a very successful NJ charter business with repeat customers that at least tries its best to promote awareness of our striped bass heritage and resource.

Nice meeting you guys, and best of luck with the 2010 season!

We also met Capt David Goldman and his son at the booth. I hope it's ok to say we congratulated Capt Goldman, saw that his son is adjusting to US life and settling into life that any normal child deserves.
    Best of luck to you all.

check them out at:

www.shorecatch.com

The worm bar, Lindenhurst, NY

These 2 women cornered the market on soft plastics. It seems a few vendors at the show had these 9' rubber baits, but there were boxes and boxes at this one booth. It was the only place I spent $$.

Good prices, 12 9" plastics for $10, and 5 jig and plastic combos for $10.

Name:	IMGP7098.JPG 
Size:	87.0 KB 
ID:	10204

Name:	IMGP7099.JPG 
Size:	85.8 KB 
ID:	10205

Name:	IMGP7147.JPG 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	10206

George Roupe from Bridge creek outfitters demonstrates the Hobie mirage drive and a sweet Hobie demo for $1150

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast