Thread: I just might finally make one

Default I just might finally make one

Building rods has to be a time consuming act of love. I often thought about getting into it but was put off by my lack of time.

I went to a show recently and after looking at the custom rods and all the different blanks I might give it a try. One question I have is does it make a difference how far away the guides are from each other? Is there some type of uniformed code to follow?

Yes the number of guides and the spacing does for stress distribution. Spacing and number of guides also keep the line from slapping the rod on spinning when casting and rubbing on the rod on conventional when fighting a fish. I 've been doing it since 1972 so if you have any questions feel free to ask

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

There are lots of rod building forums such as rodbuilding.org that discuss this and many other topics. I just converted an area in my basement to start building rods myself. Just got my wrapper / dryer, thread, reel seat, etc

Gonna practice on some scrap 1st and also try some decorative/custom wraps

Also if you do a google search there are lots of tutorials online
    Enjoy the Journey

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by stripermania View Post
    Building rods has to be a time consuming act of love. I often thought about getting into it but was put off by my lack of time.

I went to a show recently and after looking at the custom rods and all the different blanks I might give it a try. One question I have is does it make a difference how far away the guides are from each other? Is there some type of uniformed code to follow?
    I have been building rods for a number of years, it is nice to make a rod that cast, better then the store bought. A simple V block for wrapping will do fine, to build your first.

Here is a link they have videos online. also a store you can order all your supplies.

http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101

Good Luck Richie
    I only fish on days that end in Y
    Richie

Thanks for all the great tips. I hope to place an order for supplies within the next week.

Any luck yet? I have started building mine. Honey fiberglass lami. Here is a pic of the flocked grip and reel seat

And here is a pic of the underwraps I am doing for the guides

Enjoy the Journey