Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Fishing reports: Turd Ferguson helps the new guys

Some additional thoughts I recently shared.......

The last advice I can leave ya's with for today....
    1. There is no substitute for time on the water....Nothing has taught me better...than spending countless hours out there...and making detailed observations in my head which I translate to my fishing log...

2. We are all learning.....the day that I stop learning, and think that I know everything...is the day that I no longer need to be on this earth...
    Sharing our experiences is great...but you have to realize that when sharing, we may come across in the wrong way..
    Since I'm very disappointed about the Coastwide state of striped bass fishing sometimes....I may come across as gruff or blunt...

No one held my hand and taught me step by step how to fish...or gave me detailed tips like I try to give to the new guys...I had to go out there and piece it together..before internet forums were popular...also being fortunate to fish with some of the best old salts out there...along the way.
    I respond best to helping when I see some guy out there that is struggling, and wants to work for the fish....just like I was at one time....

3. Don't be afraid to fail, or try different things.. when you are fishing..or in life....I learned more from my failures than successes in life...because they taught me what NOT to do...and when it was not a good time to be out there...

Best of luck this Fall, people!..

I posted this yesterday........

**The point is.,....for those who are waiting for the run to "start"...it's already (about) half over......(if you look at numbers of fish that have passed us by), because of the poor weather and conditions some weeks.....

So if any of ya's are "on the fence"......
    If you know places where sandeels have been gathering, go out and fish them hard.....unless these sandeels move in and stabilize.....the bass will just keep following the bunker down the Coast.......

So get off the couch.....drink the energy drinks......get ready to lose sleep and walk around like a zombie at work....because if you want a big fish from land....your time is limited.....and the time is now....
    Good luck to all.......

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    ....because if you want a big fish from land....your time is limited.....and the time is now....
    Good luck to all.......

The opportunities are also limited, compared to past years.....
    One of my friends targets only big fish from land, and knows the where and when.....he usually lands at least 10 fish or more a year up to 40#...avoidiing the bunker blitzes, targeting them only at night as they move along our Eastern Coast..........

Yesterday he snagged a bunch of bunker, and set out later at night with a plan to get a 30 or 40.......
    (again, remember he's not targeting schoolies, has no interest in catching them).....

He makes a lot of sacrifices to get these bigger fish, and was one of the few Jersey guys who was at Montauk in 2013 the last week of October, when the surf bite was "dead" and all of a sudden a good sand eel bite developed.....catching 13 fish to 28# that night, and a few others the next night, before the fish moved on.........

He texted me last night at 1AM...fishing a well-known NJ migratory area....having fished for 5 hours, using fresh snagged bloody bunker......and not one bass to show for it.........
    I use this, as an example...of all the folks out there looking for bass...and trying...and not succeeding....because the fishing is so inconsistent....with less numbers around.....unlesss
    A. you're in the middle of a bunker blitz...
    B. or a specific strategic stop along the migration highway.....

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112