Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing reports: Turd Ferguson helps the new guys

Default clamzilla raking and the Ubuntu natives and special Ubuntu rakes

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    2nd in a series of advanced clam techniques....

The clamzilla clams are most often found near the islands of the southern hemisphere that give off a green glow during the full moon. Therefore, you have to travel there in the dead of night.

Once morning comes, you walk onto the flats where the clamzilla clams live. The natives who live there, of the Ubuntu clan, will help you out if it's your first time there, but you have to bribe them with Camel cigarettes and butane lighters.

You have to be careful walking the flats there, as just beyond is a drop to 300' deep canyons. These canyons are patrolled by hungry tiger sharks. Once a season the Ubuntu natives sacrifice a pig or sheep to the tiger sharks to ensure their yearly safety and a bountiful clam harvest.

As you're raking for these clams with the special Ubuntu rakes with the long tines, you have to be aware that the clams are tough suckers to pull out of there. They really dig in there, and have to be pried out with force.
    Attachment 10312

rofl What creativity dark, you almost had me suspending my belief and believing it was a real place.You should definitely write for a living.

Steve if you heard all the voices in my head that I do, maybe you wouldn't think so, maybe you would have me committed!
    But I'm glad you were entertained.

Gimme an "S"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3-11-10 weather 1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	10320

(pay attention to the pressure for the next 12 hours)

Gimme an "H"

Name:	3-11-10 rb pm.png.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	10321

Name:	3-11-10 bb pm.png.png 
Size:	4.9 KB 
ID:	10322

learn your flowers

Name:	IMGP7318.JPG 
Size:	100.3 KB 
ID:	10326

Smile Gimme an "S"

Hey Dark, how are you? I was wondering if you would send me a pm or tell me here about pressure and how it affects the bass? I watch moon and tide, as well as wind. I fish RB and was just looking for another pointer to help with my luck at it. Also, what sites are you getting the water temp and waether chart you posted?

KEEP FISHING>

I don't know how many remember the Woodstock years. If ya don't, too bad...

Gimme an "F"
    Gimme an "I"
    Gimme an "S"
    Gimme an "H"
    Woodstock? A always suspected you were a hippy Communist subversive, DS. Now I KNOW you are! You freak!!!

So...you have any pics of you at Woodstock?That would make you about 59 years old, I didn't think you were that ancient.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Woodstock? A always suspected you were a hippy Communist subversive, DS. Now I KNOW you are! You freak!!!
    So...you have any pics of you at Woodstock?That would make you about 59 years old, I didn't think you were that ancient.
    I wasn't old enough to make Woodstock, ya goofball.
    I have to admit I would have loved to be there, though. I would give anything to be able to see Hendrix play live, he was the man.
    As for Communists, I think the only Communist subversives we have on this site are you and Frankiesurf.

Quote Originally Posted by cardoc765 View Post
    Hey Dark, how are you? I was wondering if you would send me a pm or tell me here about pressure and how it affects the bass? I watch moon and tide, as well as wind. I fish RB and was just looking for another pointer to help with my luck at it. Also, what sites are you getting the water temp and waether chart you posted?
    KEEP FISHING>

Cardoc what's up, long time no see! Any luck with the job search or are you still looking? I posted a "looking for work" thiing for ya,
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=5042

I hope things worked out.

Those charts came from our front page, RB and BB water temp charts, the links are easy to follow, let me know if ya have difficulty.

The barometric pressure is for NJsurfer.com, I believe we have a link for that here as well under the weather stickies at the top of some of the pages.

I have a friend who's like the DR of barometric pressure he's so obsessive about it. The guys who paid attention to their yearly fishing logs and those pressure readings in the last 48 hours are happy, that's about all I can say for now.

Study that stuff and keep a log, it will lead you to Nirvana. Give me a shout via pm or e-mail when yer going out.

Default Some Woodstock for ys's

Ya put me in a Woodstock mood, bababooey, you frikkin Commie.

Canned Heat

Country Joe

Ten years after

Jimi, no explanation needed...

Voodoo child, intro by Max Yasgur

Hey Dark check your email. Also you'll see I posted on the link about work for me.

There are a few reasons the clamzilla clams are so great...

1. They stay on the hook. Once you cut a piece off and put it on there, even a 20# bluefish can't rip it off without becoming fatally hooked.

2. The clam meat emits a stink that can be smelled by trophy striped bass for miles.

3. You can use the meat over and over, and even salt it for the winter. So even though it's initially expensive, you save $$ in the long run

4. There is a supernatural quality to the clam. It retains its juices no matter how many times you dunk it in the water.

5. Because they are so big, you can literally carve dozens of baits from one clamzilla clam. All you need to do is put one small piece on each hook of the clambrella rig, and you're good to go!
    This is very creative writing, classic! If you saw it in another thread you might think it was solid advice someone was giving. I enjoyed that, you should give a clamzilla seminar or something!

Quote Originally Posted by basshunter View Post
    This is very creative writing, classic! If you saw it in another thread you might think it was solid advice someone was giving. I enjoyed that, you should give a clamzilla seminar or something!
    Of course it's solid advice, wassamatta fa u?
    It takes specialized knowledge to be able to use the clambrella and clamzilla rigs effectively. Otherwise you're just wastin your time.

BTW, Killie is the original inventor of the Clambrella rig design and deserves credit. Only a secret sharpie like him coulda drawn up something as bizarre as that.

He's got the best prices on T-shirts and stickers, he will even create a custom logo for ya, all ya gotta do is ask.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...ead.php?t=5183

Today's tip:
    The outgoing is also good if yer fishin in the daytime this week.

Today:

1. Reno has clams.

2. The water is warm, mud is still cold. Late afternoons are golden.

Bunker are coming from the East.

BUNKA!!!!BUNKA!!!THE BUNKA ARE COMEING!!!!

How to: fishing the clambrella rig

Question:
    [hey all,
    just ordered a 4 pack of clambrellas and last night after dinner i was trying one out in the back yard. don't want to look like a fool out on gp this season. is it supposed to open and spread like a hi-lo or is the advantage in having the clams bunch up? because how i was pitching it last night it was like i was tossing a seafood alfredo. any advice would be great. thanks.]

Responses:
    1. you can't be serious that you bought that. Just use a hi-low rig and that s all you need. Take that thing back. You definately got ripped off

is this some kind of joke??

Cmon guys the man was seriously trying to learn a valuable new technique.
    You all knew that clambrellas have been around in the US since the days the pilgrims fished, right?

There's a few special tricks and techniques to add to your angling experience when using the clambrella.

Let's try to help a brother fisherman out here:

1. just ordered a 4 pack of clambrellas and last night after dinner i was trying one out in the back yard.
    That was a smart decision Radio. Buying a clambrella and learning to use it to catch large takes a while. The guys who do well with them are the ones who pay their dues and put in their time.

Attachment 10283

2. don't want to look like a fool out on gp this season. is it supposed to open and spread like a hi-lo or is the advantage in having the clams bunch up?
    That would depend on how the fish are running. If it's a full moon, it's better having the clams bunch up and let them sit together on the bottom. Fish are sometimes spooked during a full moon. The key to catching large during a time like this is to make absolutely sure that clambrella glob stays on the bottom. During the first April full moon, I have seen guys land cows up to 45# using that rig, by carefully following the above procedure.

It's also is deadly during an October full moon if the surf is very quiet. If you have done your homework and are there at the correct time, sometimes in addition to catching your cow the Great Pumpkin or King Neptune has appeared to lucky anglers.

Attachment 10284

3. because how i was pitching it last night it was like i was tossing a seafood alfredo. any advice would be great. thanks
    Anyone can buy and use a clambrella, but not everyone can master the skills needed. You need to throw it just the right way for it to unfold and sit there with all those bait choices for the hungry bass to find. The technique for the clambrella is somewhat like throwing a cast net for bunker.

The key here: practice, practice, and more practice.

(I'll try to come back when I have more time and explain various advanced clambrella tricks, such as.. )

-dipping the clams in bunker or garlic oil to get more fish

-mixing and matching clams and fresh bunker for the optimum amount of strikes

- tricks of the old-timers such as tipping some of the clambrella hooks with fresh bacon

-fishing the rig with maximum efficiency by carefully perching a fishing ladder in calm surf and learning how this extra height will give you more leverage when fighting big fish

Attachment 10285

- advanced clambrella trolling, where one attaches the rig to a sturdy rod mounted to the bed of a truck or the back of your beach buggy. This is deadly during times when you know the bass are there but they are sitting on the bottom with lockjaw. It's also best done at night so the tourists don't see how effective it really is...

There ya go **********, hope that helps!
    Anyone else with tips and tricks for this or other early season specialty striped bass rigs, feel free to jump in.

The Question:
    "Holy Chit great post.
    Did you write that article in the NJ Angler Mag or am I getting you confused with AJ Bruno? Either way GREAT article on the Clambrella
    Any tips on the new rig I'm using the Clamzilla?"

My Response:
    Dude, I can't believe you know about the Clamzilla!
    (I'm no writer, just a hack who smoked too much pot in the hippy days )

Anyway, you must be lucky to know about the Clamzilla rig, which is a hybrid of the clambrella that can only be set up by using the special clamzilla clams.

The clamzilla clams are most often found near the islands of the southern hemisphere that give off a green glow during the full moon. Therefore, you have to travel there in the dead of night.

Once morning comes, you walk onto the flats where the clamzilla clams live. The natives who live there, of the Ubuntu clan, will help you out if it's your first time there, but you have to bribe them with Camel cigarettes and butane lighters.

You have to be careful walking the flats there, as just beyond is a drop to 300' deep canyons. These canyons are patrolled by hungry tiger sharks. Once a season the Ubuntu natives sacrifice a pig or sheep to the tiger sharks to ensure their yearly safety and a bountiful clam harvest.

As you're raking for these clams with the special Ubuntu rakes with the long tines, you have to be aware that the clams are tough suckers to pull out of there. They really dig in there, and have to be pried out with force.
    Attachment 10312

Once you get one, you will see why they're worth the effort. They are the toughest and juiciest clams around. The natives have quite a good business going with the clamzilla exports. They ship them by canoe to the nearest big island, where they are then transferred by airplane to the Eastern and Western coasts of the US.

You can't just find them in any bait and tackle shop though. The buyers of these clamzilla clams are some of the sharpest surf sharpies out there. They're the guys you hear about catching the biggest cows that you assume were nailed on live bunker. In reality, they get their biggest fish in the dead of night with those clamzilla clams on the clambrella rig
    I've not been fortunate enough yet in my fishin career to be allowed to buy these clams directly from the secret tackle shops. However, I have tagged along on a few fishing trips with some of these sharpies and seen how it's done.

There are a few reasons the clamzilla clams are so great...

1. They stay on the hook. Once you cut a piece off and put it on there, even a 20# bluefish can't rip it off without becoming fatally hooked.

2. The clam meat emits a stink that can be smelled by trophy striped bass for miles.

3. You can use the meat over and over, and even salt it for the winter. So even though it's initially expensive, you save $$ in the long run

4. There is a supernatural quality to the clam. It retains its juices no matter how many times you dunk it in the water.

5. Because they are so big, you can literally carve dozens of baits from one clamzilla clam. All you need to do is put one small piece on each hook of the clambrella rig, and you're good to go!
    ..Attachment 10313

You know the rest ***, as you obiously must know one of the secret sharpies out there to be even allowed to mention the clamzilla.

I put this out there so maybe some of the guys who are getting frustrated with slow catches and long waiting times have something to hope for. If this interests you, you have to seek out the anonymous sharpie and ask them what they know of it. You'll find if you are respectful enough when you ask them, you may be invited on a clamzilla night fishing trip.

If so, consider yourself lucky

These are some of the funniest posts I have seen all season. You should consider having a "Best of" section here. I remembered reading them but lost the place they were at. It took a while to find these. Great stuff, keep them coming!

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    These are some of the funniest posts I have seen all season. You should consider having a "Best of" section here. I remembered reading them but lost the place they were at. It took a while to find these. Great stuff, keep them coming!
    Thanks Buckethead, I've been thinking of that for awhile now. If one or more people mentions an idea, that puts me in gear to do it. I'll keep ya posted, glad ya liked them.

Tips for fishin in front of the weather:
    1. Bloodworms and tapes
    2. Tommy scored some small today, morning and just now.

Tommy is the man.

Default Fact or fiction?

1. You can't catch fish when the moon is full and bright.

2. You can't catch fish on artificials in March.

3. Clams are what ya want to catch the big early Spring bass.

What's the common denominator to beat the odds in the above scenarios?

Find bait and actively (or sporadically) feeding fish.
    Find water that's at the right temps.

Pic courtesy of OGB, 3-31-10

32" bass taken on a yozuri.
    Water 48 deg.
    C&R to grow bigger.

Name:	3-31-10 001b.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	10619

Default The wealth of information available to new guys and how to use it

People send me links to the most inane threads that people start on the internet. I know people are just starting out, but I wonder if people think before they ask these questions. Or more specifically, do they even do any research before they ask the questions.?

What is research?
    Getting a little piece of information or intel, and using that info to learn more about how to fish, what to fish, and where to fish.

When is the best time to fish?
    Low light situations, but that changes seasonally.

What does the water look like on the beach?
    There are now dozens of cameras covering every major ocean beach. When Killie wants to know the conditions, he simply calls Finchaser.
    For those of us not that fortunate, click on a cam, and see for yourself. I'm checking the surf cams at least 3x/day during the season. I don't want to hear how things are out there, I want to see for myself.
    (for the bays, I agree there are no cams, you have to kind of figure that out. You can tell a lot from minor comments in a person's reports, if they're kind enough to include the conditions. That's why my reports are so detailed sometimes.)

Here's my response to one of our newer members Cardoc:

Cardoc, (Your strategy to fish the incoming to the top was smart, BTW. More on that in the Turd thread.)
    Here's a guy who wants to learn. He PMs me asking for weather and tide/temp links, and then sends me back some of his own that he's been using. He's glad to hear the advice of others, but also wants to bring something to the table through his own effort. A guy like that I'm glad to help, because he doesn't want to be spoon fed, he wants to learn for himself, by researching and doing. And... he knows how to use the "Search" key before he asks his questions.

Lesson for today, How will the water temps affect my fishing and when it's most optimal to fish?

1. One successful Spring pattern you hear about a lot is to "fish the outgoing as the warm water from the creeks and small streams will be the warmest as it dumps out into the bay." Generally, that's true.

2. When it's NOT true is important to learn as well. Storms, rain, noreasters, snow, etc, will all dump cold dirty water out to the bay via the rivers, creeks, and marshes. Outgoing will bring lots of debris, bulkheads, and assorted crap down to interfere with fishing.

3. In cases like this it's important to know the difference between ocean and bay temps. If the ocean water is warmer and you have trees and boat parts drifting on the outgoing, it should be a no brainer to fish the incoming where in some places the water is warmer and cleaner.

4. So why are folks still confused, Mr Turd Ferguson, you may ask?
    Because a lot of people will look at one site, or gauge, and that's the extent of their motivation. Looking at ocean temps, and then comparing them to bay temps?
    What a concept...Oh the horror, Turd, that's too much work, we just want to go fishing!

5. Study the temp differentials all through the tide. Ask yourself "why" when the day is bright and sunny, you'll see a downward spike at some point in the day on the graph.

6. Then compare the recorded temps and graphs to the tide charts for that area. If you look at them every day, like I do (at least 4x/day on a slow day ), you may spot some trends or pattrns. That will be some scientific guidance as to when to start fishing, and for how long.

Take a look at these Raritan and Barnegat bay charts.
    Come back at some time during the day, check them again with an understanding of the tides. How do they compare? How does the info you develop tomorrow compare with today?

Name:	2010-04-02 RB.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	10626

Name:	2010-04-02 BB.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	62.6 KB 
ID:	10627

7. Above all, patterns are made to be broken. The toughest thing about fishing this Spring has been the lack of a consistent pattern. You may have something working for 2 days, for the next 3 days it's something else. Remember that temp guages and stations in the bay represent the temps taken at one spot and don't reflect all the geographical variations for that area. You also have to think about how wind and developing weather patterns will affect the bite as well.

8. The fisherman/woman who wants to truly learn and become better through their own efforts will challenge themselves to think about "Why" some of these things happen, and learn to profit by placing themselves more frequently in places where fish are likely to be.

Hope this helps, people. They didn't have any of this info available at your fingertips 20 years ago...

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast