Thread: tying bucktails

Default tying bucktails

I use 30lb power pro. When I use bucktails should I tie it directly to the power pro or should I use a leader?

Always use a leader no matter what you are casting. Braid is not very abrasion resistant so it is always good to use a leader to avoid break offs around rocks and even on gill plates.

In the spring on light tackle I will go with 20lb mono. Real rocky areas I sometimes go with 60 or 80 lb mono. To me flourocarbon is overrated if you aren't fishing flats for bonefish or something.

I use 30 lb PP or Suffix (may go higher this year). I always use a 50 lb leader, around 42" to 48". Plugs, rubber, bucktails or metal, I always use the leader. Sometimes I go to 80lb leader (rarely).

I like the little stretch it adds, that its clear and tougher than braid. I use flourocarbon.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

You should use a leader and a loop knot will give it better action especially when drifting it over the bottom.

Because bucktails are designed to fish on the bottom then I would use a leader. If you were fishing surface plugs with no rocks around then I would tie direct to give the plug more action

As for mono or fluoro....I prefer fluoro. However, if the water is murky then mono will probably be fine. Fluoro is better for clear water as it is more invisible than mono. I also believe fluoro is more abrasion resistant.

Plus Fluoro does not stretch like mono does so your feel for the fish striking will be much more sensitive. Yes fluoro is more expensive than mono but it's my choice.
    Enjoy the Journey