Thread: Beach Vehicle Fishing Permit in New York State

Default Beach Vehicle Fishing Permit in New York State

Beach Vehicle Fishing Permit in New York State

There is no feeling in the world like driving your four wheel drive on some of New York's most wonderful beaches to get to your favorite fishing location. Not everybody is lucky enough to live near the ocean so for those of us that are we must follow the rules and procedures to keep this valuable sport unspoiled. Here are some helpful reminders and necessary information for those of use who decide to let some air out of our tires and cast our reels just past the waves breaking in front of us.

There are three main locations in the state of New York to find the sought after Beach Vehicle Permit. You can only purchase the New York State Beach Vehicle Permit. The Belmont State Park office, The Montauk Downs State Park, and the Robert Moses State Park are your best sources for obtaining the privilege to drive on New York State beaches. The fee for obtaining the Vehicle Beach Permit is about sixty five dollars. These permits are only available from January 2nd until April 30th and from the Tuesday after Labor Day until December 31st of the year so make sure you make preparations accordingly.

There are many rules and stringent responsibilities that you must follow when using the New York State Beach Vehicle Permit. Many beaches have their own rules and restrictions on when, where and how you must use your vehicle to fish in the ocean. Some beaches are open to vehicles twenty fours hours a day all year round while others have posted hours. A pamphlet explaining the rules for the different beaches can be found at the New York Sate Park offices or obtained online at various websites.

The New York State Vehicle Beach Permit is for four wheel drive vehicles only. There are a few items that all passengers must have in their possession if the vehicle is on the beach and the vehicle must never exceed ten miles per hour. Your vehicle and the Beach Vehicle Permit is for transportation purposes only. Every passenger must have their own fishing rod with reel, lures,bait and lures. A compact shovel and a three foot block of wood is strongly recommended. The block of wood will provide extra traction in the sand if you find yourself caught in the muck.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ew.html?cat=27

Thanks for the reminder. I'll have to go get my pass.

Use to be nice stayed at Demo w/ our truck campers when the cove was still there and then moved to the sorethumb as demo slowly disappeared but now access is very limited driving offroad between plovers and erosion you spend more money and get less usage who knows if Demo will even have a beach to drive on sorethumb is smaller every year.The county beaches are hurting Smithspoint is closed to driving most of the year unless they let you drive down Burma Rd.to the inlet if you get there in one piece.The truck camper is gone and replaced w/ our new camper we just go to Smithspoint get a site up top and just back up to an ocean view.I just walk it now not worth the money anymore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails user423_pic46_1266144727_thumb.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by surfstix1963 View Post
    between plovers and erosion you spend more money and get less usage who knows if Demo will even have a beach to drive on sorethumb is smaller every year.

You're right about that surfstix. We still have a few more storms coming before the beaches open. I shudder to think how bad it will be as I haven't been down there yet. I am hoping for some southeasters to bring some of that sand back.

Haven't been to demo to look I think all the nearby fields are closed I did hear they need to put a lot of sand back in RM not sure where though.Used to be real nice w/ the campers to wake up and step outside w/ some coffee & have the ocean pretty much at your feet set up a bait rod eat breakfast and start plugging kind of miss it but it got to the point where you were stepping out of the camper and the water was a little too close for comfort another thing of the past I guess had some great times though, my kids although they are teenagers still talk about going to demo or the thumb.Now we stay on dry land w/ the new one just a short walk to the ocean anyways and its nice to have the room and luxuries we have now the truck campers were tight.And I really like my recliners and big back window to watch for the fish.