Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: StripersAndAnglers.com Helpful Hints/Helpful fishing links

Default Password problems? Need help re-setting your password?

The below instructions apply whether you have forgotten your password or for some reason you can't get into your account. If you can't open your account, you will have to call or e-mail us so we can straighten it out. Just let us know, and make sure you change your password to something else after we give you a temporary password. Thanks.

To change your password,you:

1. Go to User CP at the top left of menu bar.

2. When "Your Control Panel' opens on the left side of the screen, click on the:

"Edit your details" option.

3. Then click on the:
    "Edit e-mail and Password"

box.

4. This will open a page up for you so you can edit your password. You will have to enter your "new" password twice.

5. For security reasons, please try to think of something that is easy for you to remember, but not so easy that another person can figure out your password. A combination of letters and numbers is said by security experts to be the best choice.

For some reason, users of different browsers have more problems with password issues than other users. I don't know the reasons for this. There have been users who we regularly have to help them re-set their passwords because they can't get on. Please be aware that it isn't necessarily your fault, it could be a browser issue. Also be aware that we will get you back online ASAP.

And please consider changing your passwords periodically, or not using your same fishing or personal passwords on all internet sites out there so as to foil any internet crooks.. Thanks, people.

Default Filleting the fish

Very cool site, sent in by Finchaser, thanks!

Everything you ever wanted to know about filleting fish.
    http://www.filleting-fish.com/fish-species

Default Cold water survival tips

Cold water survival tips ---

Wealth of info
    http://www.leoblockley.org.uk/docume...r-survival.pdf

When and how you can die in cold water.
    This is pretty comprehensive with some funny pics thrown in to get the point across.
    http://www.uscg.mil/pvs/docs/coldwater1.pdf

Coldwater safety for kayakers and others with close contact with the water
    http://www.atlantickayaktours.com/pa...dwater-1.shtml

Ice and cold water safety
    http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopsterm...ety&csid=Eeops

Cold water survival Bear Grylls

1-10-1 Rules - 48 degree water
    You have 1 minute to plan the action, 10 minutes of useful movement, and 1 hour of survival time. wow, pretty chilling, no pun intended.

Cold water shock survival

Cold water boating surviving - debunking the myth that you will die of hypothermia within minutes.

Default Pics and picture posting tutorial

This was posted by Paco33. Thanks Paco!

Quote Originally Posted by paco33 View Post
    Dark, as has been said, maybe some of the new members may have some difficulty. If it's ok, I thought I would post a little tutorial, and you can move it to wherever you want later.

File upload manager - this is what you will see when you click on the attachments button (paperclip icon) when posting.

Steps:
    1. Click on the green "add files" button in the right hand corner. This has a plus sign to the left of it.

2. This will open a box that says "upload files from your computer".

3. Click on the "select files" button at the bottom of that screen.

4. This will bring you to your section on the computer where you have your pics stored. Depending on what your cookies and settings are set at, and the last time you were on the site, you may have to browse for them. Use the browse feature. This, I believe, was also the same in the past before the update was done.

5. Select your pics.

6. Then hit the "upload files" button at the bottom of that new window. There is also a "basic uploader" button that you can use if you just want to upload one pic in that post. It actually allows you to upload more than one. It reminds me of the way they had it with the old version, so maybe they saved it for legacy sake and people would feel comfortable either way.

7.You can also hit "clear list" if you made a mistake and want to start over again.

8. Once the files are uploaded, there is a window at the very bottom of the original attachments window "Insert inline".
    You can hit this to insert them per your tastes and style. By that, I mean you can either choose NOT to hit this button, and close it out. If so, your pic will come up as an attachment with a paperclip attached around a box in the post.

9. Or, you can hit the "insert inline" button, and the pics will be inserted into the post awaiting further manipulation by you.
    This is not really necessary to do it this way, it's merely an advanced feature that some of you tech heads might appreciate having. With this feature, you can actually manipulate, and move the pics around in your post, by looking at the pics. This is a VERY cool feature. I believe they had it before, but you had to move the text renderings of the pics, without being able to see them.

10. When you are done, make sure you hit the "done" button on the bottom right hand side of the big original window, or your files will not load.

Remarks --- in all, I think this is an outstanding improvement.
    Dark, thanks for being the first on the block to bring us the new technology and features. I imagine it must have been a real headache. Thanks also for all you and Pebbles put into this site. I can't stand the arguments on some other places, and I thank you for monitoring that here.

Here is the new thread explaining the system changes:
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...rs-and-Anglers

Photobucket:
    I also wanted to add that the option of storing your pics on Photobucket as explained by Jonthepain in post #3 is a great choice to make. In these modern times many members belong to different forums. Using photobucket as your pic platform allows you to easily cross-post your pics every time without regard to size limit.

We do have a size limit here of 80k for pictures. If yours are bigger the system will ask you to re-size before posting. (I think the new V-bulletin version does it automatically.) It's pretty easy for me to re-size, as I have some very simple programs that do batch re-sizing. PM me if you need to download it. It's free and reliable. Though the easiest one doesn't work for Windows Vista, I have some other free ones that do.

Ultimately, some will find that aspect to be a hassle. I understand that. For those folks, please consider Photobucket. And thanks for recommending them, Jon.

Default New look at Stripers and Anglers 11-2010

In November we upgraded to an updated modern format. It was a PITA, but it does have some more robust features than the old format. We'll only be trying them one at a time so as not to blow the site up or confuse people.

Some things can be modified, some can't. I believe this new format gives the members many more options and flexibility, so I'm sticking with it. Let me know if any of you are having difficulty, and I'll try to walk you through the problem.

Here's a thread that talks about the changes and some of the key features. Feel free to jump in there with any feedback you have, positive or negative. We want to hear it. Thanks, people.
    http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...rs-and-Anglers

Default How to quickly and efficiently search for new posts

Here's some helpful advice...

1. When members first log in, there is a "What's new" tab on the top line of your page, near the middle. Clicking on that will allow you to see the new posts since you've last visited here. Fast, easy and convenient. It's one of the features in the new version that everyone should know about.

2. Once you've logged in and are browsing the site, you can always click on the additional feature line that opens up at the top of the page and contains the following options. Clicking "New Posts" (look under the Montauk picture) enables you to see the new posts since you last posted or checked the forums.

Default Using the SEARCH key

There is a pretty detailed explanation here under the "FAQS" section.
    The FAQS are at the top of the page, 3rd line down, right after the "new posts" and "private messages" buttons.

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...faq_vb3_search

It might be intimidating at first. Putting in only a word or 2 may not get you what you're looking for. Conversely, too many words may limit your search so some good threads are passed over.

You have to get a feel for it, but it's not that hard, really, I promise.

For all you techno-phobes out there, I'll make you this deal....try it a few times following the instructions. Then, if you can't get the hang of it, PM me and I'll try to walk ya through it.

Some additional help:

1. You can make a narrower search by putting the topic of your search in quotes. A set of quotes
    "before
    the term has been most productive for me, while inserting quotes
    "before and after"
    the term, makes the scope of the search a little too restrictive IMO.

2. You can also do the search without the quotes using a
    +
    sign between each of the most relevant search terms. This can also cause issues by restricting the scope of your search as well, as outlined in the FAQS.

I mentioned these options to give you folks more choices. Sometimes you will need to try different words similar to the one you used, if your search yields no results.
    And at times the search will come up with no previous posts. That does happen.

Tagging threads to make searches easier:
    If you would like to do that by modifying the "Edit tags" button at the bottom of the page, by all means feel free. It would help me and our other members immensely. You only have a limit of 25 characters for each tag title, but you may put up a limited amount, separated by commas.

Default Hassle free, One click posting! - VIDEOS, PICS, QUOTES, HTML, E-Mails, etc

Life just got a little easier around here.

With the software update, you don't have to make those stupid brackets to embed the youtube and vimeo videos anymore.

I'm trying to learn the new features one day at a time. As I better understand each feature I'll try to write a little tutorial. If anyone gets to it before me and wants to write their own...feel free, I would be much obliged.

When you post here, there are a series of new icons with this version on the 2nd line of your word processing menu.
    Here are some of the coolest ones:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot new features 2011.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	2.9 KB 
ID:	12884

If you've ever become annoyed with the posting utilities in the old version, these will make your life a lot easier.
    Anyone who is having trouble, please use this thread to post your questions, and I'll try to walk ya's through it as needed.

Eventually I'll merge this thread back into the "S&A Helpful hints" thread to keep things in one place. Good luck and have fun!

http://stripersandanglers.com/Forum/...-Helpful-hints!

Posting videos from
    1. When you're posting and want to add a link such as a video, etc, just click "reply to thread".

2. Find a video you like by opening another browser window to the internet.

3. Right click on the mouse to "copy" the URL. (You have to copy the whole thing)

4. Go to your post, double clicking on the "video" icon.

5. You may see a processing icon, but you should quickly after that see a window open prompting you to insert the video.

6. Simply follow the instructions by right clicking your mouse again. Hover it over the area where you want to drop the video. Right clicking will give you the options, choose "paste".

7. Follow the prompts to close the box, hit "post" and yer done!

If anyone has any problems, post that as well and I'll try to guide ya's.

Also check out the icons in that same line where the video icon is.
    You can allegedly post e-mail, HTML, and other links.
    Please be respectful when posting links, and realize that I reserve the right to edit any links I don't feel are appropriate for this site. Thanks, people!

Default A bird story

Here's a bird story for ya mooks.
    Aahh, the possibilities are endless....

I dedicate this one to that grouchy basstard Finchaser.

Default Albie chaos from Vimeo

If the waiting for the albies again in Sept is too long, here's something to help with the withdrawal...

Default West Wind Wally

Can't forget ol' Wally!

Default I like turtles

Love those wally videos dark. I would love to see you make one of him out in a snowstorm like we had last night. Wouldn't want you to be in danger, but it would be entertaining if you are up to it (hint, hint)

Also the video thing is a lot easier now, all you have to do is clck on the "insert video" icon and follow the menu. C&P like you said, and you're done. I really hated the old way where you had to put the brackets in, a PITA. Thanks for the innovations.

One of ny favorites, I like turtles!

Default Morning cup of coffee

That turtle kid, rofl, steve!

Here is a cup of coffee for all your folks to start your day.

An example of using the "insert link" icon. It's pretty easy to do, just follow the instructions, cut and paste the whole title line at the top of your browser.

http://www.castlemountains.net/flash...Cup_Of_Joy.swf

Default How to post, how to answer a post

This may seem elementary to some, but a few members here are having trouble posting.
    I think part of the confusion lies in the new format.
    First, as always, you hit the "reply to thread" button.

However, with the "quick reply" button we now have, there is often no need to hit the "reply to post" button.
    Someone was hitting the "reply to post" button, and getting irritated when his posts disappeared when he typed his response in this dialogue box, hitting "reply to post" and seeing them vanish.

Remember that "reply to post" brings you to an entirely new box and cancels out the action or words you typed out before hitting that button.

HINT HINT: If you are sick and tired of losing posts, PLEASE COPY that post with your mouse as I have described below. This will hold it temporarily in your PC's memory in case it is lost. Just this one step will save you from countless aggravations and drinking heavily to vent your frustration.

Or, maybe when this happens you just want to go out and drown a googan.
    In any event, please try to follow the suggestions below whenever you have a long post that you don't want to lose. You'll be glad ya did!

How to reply to a thread:

1.When you hit "reply to thread" you get a screen at the bottom where you can post your reply. After you hit it, you should be typing your response in the box.

THEN, you hit the "quick reply" button to post.

That will "post" your reply.

If you hit the "reply to thread" button AFTER you type in your post, that has the same effect as "refreshing" your screen, and will wipe out your entire post!!!

2. Another tip: (How not to drive yourself insane when putting up a long post)
    When you have a long post, a little bit of insurance is to click on your mouse over the entire post before you hit the "quick reply" button, and highlight what you have typed.

Then, use the mouse to right click, and see your choices.
    One of them will be to "copy" the post.
    Select that choice, it will copy the post into your PC's memory.
    Then, if you lose the post due to some problem or glitch, you can always start again, right click the mouse, and use the "paste" feature to restore the post to your dialogue box.

This little step above will save you from lots of cursing and gray hair. Ask me how I know this!

There was talk about the moon phases in another thread. I found this cool link to moon phases in case anyone is interested
    http://moonphases.info/moon_phases.html

Default Swell info

Vpass sent in a great link about the swell. This is critical to your fishing experience this time of year with the colder water. A short duration and big swell, and you could get washed out to sea.

Those who are still fishing now, or fishing cold water in the Spring would be well-advised to check it out every time before they go out there....thanks Vpass!

http://www.swellinfo.com/surf-forecast/

(I also updated the llinks in Post #1 and put it there...)

Thank you for all you do dark. That is a good one vpass.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanFishingMan View Post
    I tried to add a link for combat side stroke from youtube but couldn't.
    look it up if you wish .
    This is an effortless way to swim, add fins & you cruise.
    Hope this helps. Best wishes & be safe.
    UrbanFishingMan, I added a link for you for this.
    The way to post up video links here is pretty easy.

1.Just copy the link from youtube
    2. Go to the menu bar at the top of your posting window.
    3. You will see several options...Bold, Indent, Underline, Colors...
    4. The button for "Insert Video" is the 2nd one from the right....
    5 Supported Video formats include:

Hulu
    Youtube
    Vimeo
    Daily Motion
    Metacafe
    Google
    Facebook

When the window comes up, paste the link, and say OK.

Here ya go:

tides and currents, do not know if you have it already. If so please delete.
    http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/index.shtml

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast