Thread: Declining Herring

Default Declining Herring

The more commercial fishing and netters they allow the worse this will become.

Those are sea herring the ones you use for bass are river herring which are also in trouble and will have a total moritorium on them in 2012.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Wow finchaser I did not know that. I just put up a post asking how to keep herring this year because I am new at it and I dont want to waste them.
    Even though I want to use them because guys tell me it is an insane bait to use for big bass, I would not do that if it was illegal. My question is, if they are in danger, why not make the moratorium now instead of 2010?

Also, why penalize the small guys when it seems with the herring that the commercial fishermen take most of them. I don't agree with a moratorium if they don't stop the commercial guys as well.

Quote Originally Posted by baitstealer View Post
    Wow finchaser I did not know that. I just put up a post asking how to keep herring this year because I am new at it and I dont want to waste them.
    Even though I want to use them because guys tell me it is an insane bait to use for big bass, I would not do that if it was illegal. My question is, if they are in danger, why not make the moratorium now instead of 2010?

Also, why penalize the small guys when it seems with the herring that the commercial fishermen take most of them. I don't agree with a moratorium if they don't stop the commercial guys as well.
    moritorium means no one fishes for them

Baitstealer I don't know if your from Jersey but if you are

1) you need a fresh water fishing license to catch them
    2) no more than 3 hooks so if you use a sabiki rig you need to cut it in half

No more bait pens for them either.
    I know a few guys in SJ who are more than a little unhappy about that. Can people spell non-compliance here?