Thread: St Croix: Help me compare, please

Default St Croix: Help me compare, please

I am looking at the St Croix Mojo surf series for a surfcasting rod. I understand they are the more reasonable priced ones.
    But what about the St Croix legend series?

At the Suffern show I was checking out the 10' legend series and they are sweet! I was wondering if anyone has an opinion about either of these St Croix lines. Thanks in advance.

ask your self this will the rod get more fish or will the angler get more fish the high end stuff is nice to have and its good if u can afford but will it get u more fish i say dont buy into this u need this big money stuff to fish u dont just take care of what u have and u can get fish

No actually the Legend is the top of the line it goes for about$400-$450 ish range, the Mojo is next in the line up and ranges from around $200-$300 as does the next in their lineup the Premier series.The bottom end which is still a decent rod is the Triumph series they range from $120 -$160.I am personally not a St. Croix user so I don't know alot about them.I'm not a big spender on my rods either I like my lamiglas surf king and their triflex series which can be somewhat pricey but I got a deal on my 11' for $110 and jumped on that.

I have the 10' Premier. THe sweet spot is about 2 1/2 to 3 oz. It still casts Bombers and 3/4 oz bucks pretty well. That ran me about $190. My buddy just bought a Mojo. He hasn't gotten it yet though. I can give you an update if you like when he does receive it.

I can say that the customer service is great. I have 5 year warranty on the Premier. The first time I sent it back my nephew broke the bottom ferrule of the top half in the car door and when I brought in to the house my wife closed the door on the tip. They replaced it no questions asked. I then broke the tip when I hooked my boot and lifted the rod at the same time. Again they replaced it without a problem. They are also nice as pie on the phone.

Legend Made in USA Life time warranty better graphite

Mojo Made in Mexico 5 year warranty

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

I have the 9' legend. Raised flock grips and light as a feather but yet strong. I did a lot of rock hopping with it last year and no problems. I know it's expensive but in my opinion it's well worth it. It's a rod I will use forever and the customer service is top notch. Last year the tip broke if the truck window. Took it to a dealer the next day and they replaced it with a new one on the spot. No questions asked. It's rated 3/4 - 4 and the sweet spot is 2 - 3. At 4 oz I find I have to lob the plug.

If you are using eels this rod is sweet. I can literally feel the eel breathing...it is that sensitive. And when the eel is about to get eaten the excitement can be felt through the rod so well that you know you are about to get a strike

The only drawback I have and it's minor, is that it does not have quite enough "whip" in the tip for working pencil poppers on the surface. I think the 10'6" model will provide a little more whip at the tip

While it is very light it also has plenty of backbone. I have taken stripers as large as 41" thus far on it.

Also, this was a gift to me. But would I buy one myself...absolutely. To me the combination of sensitivity and strength combined with an unbeatable warranty make this rod well worth it. Plus it's so light I can throw plugs all night long without throwing out my shoulder
    Enjoy the Journey

I bought the Legend MH 2-6 back in February and while I haven't put it through its paces quite yet, I have thrown a few various plugs with it and it performed. It has no problem throwing 2 oz's of metal so I'm thinking that it'll throw a little less as well. I'm just not sure how light I can go with it though. I'll find out soon enough.