Thread: Montauk or your local beach?

Default Montauk or your local beach?

I know the season didn't even start yet but I can't wait. I like hitting the back bays and the SS beaches. I think we have some of the most beautiful structure of all the states. When I hear guys talk about Montauk as the only place to get big fish, it seems a bit amusing. Why do people focus on that when in the spring all the fish have to pass the local beaches to get to Montauk.
    So where would you rather fish, your local salt spot or at Montauk, and why?

I would rather fish my local area. I know the water in my area better. My trips to Montauk are far and few between. We all know fish don't stay in one area. So I don't believe Montauk has the monopoly on the fishing craze. Yes, they do get some good sized cows there but we have them here as well.

I fish Montauk when the bigger fish are migrating through. It's the chance to hit large and challenge yourself at the same time. That being said, for the early spring I have quite a few local back bay spots I do well at. I would be happpy if everyone drove to Montauk and left my back bay spots alone.

I like the back bays and a few select rivers in the spring I don't fish the sand beaches in early spring because most of the fish that are passing through are out in deep water on the mackeral and bunker schools and just pass right through to settle in their breeding grounds.

I love Montauk for the challenge and some different type of fishing than you can get here on LI. That said, I don't do all that great there because there are so many spots that you can focus on that I don't have the time to scout thoroughly enough. I will take the spots I know before I go to M.

hands down i would stay home

A while back, when there weren't many Bass being caught in my regular spots, I could hardly wait to go to Montauk. So many great opportunities and memories there.

But my mind was always thinking about my regular spots while I was up there. Felt like I was outta place or missing something. So I don't roam anymore, just stick to my spots that I enjoy.

I'll take my local areas now.

I love fishing the "home" beaches in Joisey.
    I just like to keep learning here.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    I don't do all that great there because there are so many spots that you can focus on that I don't have the time to scout thoroughly enough.
    You should even the odds and take DS with you. His scouting abilities are legendary if you include swans and birds as your quarry.
    I have never fished the shores of Montauk. I don't see what the big deal is when we have some of the best fishing on the East Coast right here in Jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    You should even the odds and take DS with you. His scouting abilities are legendary if you include swans and birds as your quarry.
    don't believe the hype, his legendary reputation is legendary, scouting abilities are questionable!

Last year I did not have as much luck in Montauk but I still enjoyed fishing there. Hitting the rocks with the waves crashing around gives me a huge adrenaline rush. I'd fish Montauk than home turf anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by bababooey View Post
    Ouch. That's going to leave a mark!

Default Re: Montauk or your local beach?

Montauk!!!!!!

Montauk isn't called the sportfishing capital of the world for nothing. Go to montauk they have been getting bass there all summer.

Sorry I disagree. If you are talking about fishing from a beach we had them great in ocean county last year. Great fishing for over a month. Montauk is too crowded for me. True it was crowded you can see from that famous internet pic but that was after thanksgiving and the word got out. I will take my local beach any day over montauk crowds. With all due respect

Quote Originally Posted by strikezone31 View Post
    Montauk isn't called the sportfishing capital of the world for nothing. Go to montauk they have been getting bass there all summer.
    Yeah strikezone but the surf bite is not that great so far. I haven't reported here but have been there twice at night so far and not that thrilled. One 15Lb fish one trip on a beachmaster, and nothing on the other trip. I Love Montauk but there is a lot of hype as far as the surf catches are concerned. I can catch 15lb fish on FI and Moses beaches.

Here is a report today, another site -

"When we got there at 530a fish were hitting green poppers and darters. The action ended, as if on cue, exactly at sunrise. A few anglers reported good fish most of the night on the ebb tide. Im still kicking myself for not going right to the surf when we arrived!!

We stayed and fished until 2pm. It was a perfect day and we even used the chairs to occassionally rest that were purchased on the internet a couple years back expressly for fishing. You guessed it, NO fish for the whole day.

One angler who spends about 6 weeks in montauk for the fall run(what a life!)said he saw only one blitz thus far as he rounds out his second week. Perhaps i'm justifying my lack of fish but it seems the fish are not fully in fall mode. The water, while still warm, felt colder than last week and there was a noticeable increase in 4-6" baitfish. Even the kayakers came up empty."