Thread: How to: Making a portable bait tank

Hybrid View

Default Last one...

Buy small coolers for small bait:
    http://www.nextag.com/cooler-10-gall...411DA7FCB525BF

or a more expensive wheeled cooler for bigger bait.
    http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_1...&OVKEY=coolers

If on a budget, you can find used coolers for little or cheap $$ all the time at garage sales. Remember that if putting herring or bunker into a cooler you need lots of water for each one, or they'll die quickly.
    You can only put herring into a round cooler or they will crash into the corners and damage themselves.

Buy this aerator or one like it, Wally World has them a little cheaper:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st...9-608f36453f77

Now drill a hole towards the top of the cooler and run the wires through for the bubble maker. I installed a cigarette light plug to the wires to plug into my three way plug for easy in and out of the boat. I also plugged the drain hole so there are no accidents and dead shiners. Mount the bubble maker in the bottom and viola you have a bait tank for well under a $100.00.

*Feel free to post up any tips for the newcomers or pics of your own tanks, guys.

5 gallon bucket with that mickey mouse aerator will only hold 2 herring ,to transport 12 herring you need at least a 20 gallon well and a 3 to 4 inch air stone which requires a HD 12V air pump.The water should never exceed 60 or they will die. The bass pro aerator will also kill them as the heat generated by the submersible motor will raise water temp to an unacceptable level and kill them. Scales also clog submersible pumps and over heat, clog or jam them.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Dark, How do you ever come up with that info. I guess we should all learn from you and use google search more.

Nice post thanks

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    Dark, How do you ever come up with that info. I guess we should all learn from you and use google search more.
    Nice post thanks
    Yup Willie, Google is your friend.
    (I spent about 2 hours on Google yesterday scouting new fishing spots. Clue me in on me a general area and I'll find where the fish are likely to be. Catching them is another issue, though... )

I should start telling members to use the search key here as well, because we do have quite a few areas with some comprehensive knowledge. All ya have to do is hit that search key/button, 3rd from the right on the options toolbar at the top of your screen.

A way to do an advanced search when too many results come up is to put " in front of the term you are using. Sometimes this is too limiting, so it should only be done when a lot of results come up and you want to define it better.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    5 gallon bucket with that mickey mouse aerator will only hold 2 herring ,to transport 12 herring you need at least a 20 gallon well and a 3 to 4 inch air stone which requires a HD 12V air pump.The water should never exceed 60 or they will die. The bass pro aerator will also kill them as the heat generated by the submersible motor will raise water temp to an unacceptable level and kill them. Scales also clog submersible pumps and over heat, clog or jam them.
    This is a guy you could learn a lot from people. The little pieces of advice he throws out are mere scraps from the vast library of knowledge he's accumulated from decades of fishing and learning the right way through trial and error. They didn't have the internet around when he learned this stuff.

He used to keep a whole season's worth of herring in ponds in his yard, back when it was allowed.

If you get a chance to talk to him, ask him what happened the night those temps got over 60, and he and his devoted and supportive girlfriend saved those herring. Great story, maybe he'll share it with us one day...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    If you get a chance to talk to him, ask him what happened the night those temps got over 60, and he and his devoted and supportive girlfriend saved those herring. Great story, maybe he'll share it with us one day...
    Thats when its time to make the pickled herring ha ha, lol.
    j/k, thanks for all the tips, good thread.

What a great read. I'll have to set one up.

I had been thinking of using live peanut bunkers for this year and mullet for next season and figuring out how to do it. The container I wanted to use was way to small. Thanks for the info dark and finchaser it was real helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

I should start telling members to use the search key here as well, because we do have quite a few areas with some comprehensive knowledge. All ya have to do is hit that search key/button, 3rd from the right on the options toolbar at the top of your screen.

A way to do an advanced search when too many results come up is to put " in front of the term you are using. Sometimes this is too limiting, so it should only be done when a lot of results come up and you want to define it better.

Hope that helps.

Thank you. I have off today and was browsing the surf fishing section. Some good topics you guys have.

Good read thanks for sharing.