Thread: Depressing/Aggravating sights at the surf

Default Depressing/Aggravating sights at the surf

I think we all have experienced the good sights on the surf- sunrises, blitzes, pods of bait, a young surfcaster, and so on, you know what I’m getting at.

But how about some of the depressing or aggravating sights that we have seen. On my walks I’ve seen dead baby dolphins, countless dead sea turtles, a dead whale, a so called “Montauk Monster”, deer washed up, more needles in the sand than I care to think about, and boats that just drove straight onto the beach.

Sea Robins and skates and sharks thrown on the beach as if the fisher was gonna wipe them out from their spot. Garbage galore left behind by lazy individuals.

Stripers mis-handled on the release.

Some other sights that drive me nuts are people that just throw their sticks in the sand or putting their hooks right in one of their guides instead of the guide support, both habits that invite trouble.

Don’t know why I posted this, just had a lot to think about while on the walks, it’s just things that have had a lasting impression on me. Some things I have no control over, other things said are usually not appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    I But how about some of the depressing or aggravating sights that we have seen. On my walks I’ve seen dead baby dolphins, countless dead sea turtles, a dead whale, a so called “Montauk Monster”, deer washed up, more needles in the sand than I care to think about, and boats that just drove straight onto the beach.

Sea Robins and skates and sharks thrown on the beach as if the fisher was gonna wipe them out from their spot. Garbage galore left behind by lazy individuals.

Stripers mis-handled on the release.
    I've seen that stuff too, Surfwalker. Every year it gets worse. The disdain people have for the "trash fish" is abominable.

As for the mishandling of released stripers, that's a sore spot with me. I try to educate them as diplomatically as possible when I see this. That's the best we can do, I'm afraid.

The littering and garbage gets to me the worst. Can't your bring a garbage bag with you? Does your baby daddy diaper have to be underemoniously dropped in the parking lot. I realize it smells, but it was your kid that made the mess. Is it too much trouble to ask to carry it with you out of there?

I hate seeing dead fish on the beach.
    Sea Robins, Skates. It upsets me.
    Mishandling of any fish is a bummer.
    I found the top half of a deer one time.
    Trash is a downer.
    Pretty much all you said.
    99% of the stuff is by human beings.
    Lots of great people out there.
    Lots off low life scum out there too.
    And it does make a lasting impression, kind of builds on me.
    My tolerance level is at a low.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I fished a spot this morning in RB and came across a disgusting site. Someone had made a fire and threw in every single beer can they drank in the fire. All the garbage was new. Potato chip bags, cans, u name it. Come on guys. Do you really need to do this. Soon we will have no place to fish. Clean up after your god damn self.

All the want to be bass fisherman the INTERNET made into so called professionals mugging people everywhere.
    Many of them leaving trash as they fish clams out of there white buckets as it's the only way they can catch a fish.
    Examples ,plastic clam containers,packaging from bait rigs and anything else the bucket holds. Also the plies of clam shells and rags which attract flies.
    Lets not forget the bunker snaggers chasing bunker blitzes, parking in peoples driveways on there lawns some even leaving fish carcasses and trash on there property.

Then they all complain about beach access and parking restrictions,before INTERNET fisherman's arrival,these kind of problems didn't exist. Most people didn't even know we existed and the ones that did respected us because we respected them and there neighborhoods.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    All the want to be bass fisherman the INTERNET made into so called professionals mugging people everywhere.
    Many of them leaving trash as they fish clams out of there white buckets as it's the only way they can catch a fish.
    Examples ,plastic clam containers,packaging from bait rigs and anything else the bucket holds. Also the plies of clam shells and rags which attract flies.
    Lets not forget the bunker snaggers chasing bunker blitzes, parking in peoples driveways on there lawns some even leaving fish carcasses and trash on there property.

Then they all complain about beach access and parking restrictions,before INTERNET fisherman's arrival,these kind of problems didn't exist. Most people didn't even know we existed and the ones that did respected us because we respected them and there neighborhoods.
    What he said!

I was walking the beach one night when some "fisherman" called me over. He was apparently dead sticking behind his truck when e caught a dogfish. Not the most desirable of species I know but part of our existence.

He said " It is hooked deep and I can't get the hook out, do you think you can?" I said sure, let me see it. I grabbed the dogfish and sure enough it was hooked pretty deep. There was no way I could possibly pull the hook out without killing it so I told him just that. He said " I really just want my rig back so I can keep fishing." Pretty much meaning that he wanted me to rip it out of the fishes gut. I asked if he had more hooks he said he had a few. I grabbed my pliers, cut the leader at the fishes lip and livened him up enough to swim away. This guy was ready to kill me. I just turned around, smiled and kept walking.

If you are afraid of handling a fish or losing an 18 cent hook then you should not be out there. Humans are the worst animal of them all and we have dug our own hole long enough. Time to start giving back.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    If you are afraid of handling a fish or losing an 18 cent hook then you should not be out there. Humans are the worst animal of them all and we have dug our own hole long enough. Time to start giving back.

So true

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Default Parking

The parking topic that fin brought up has always been a sore one with me. It's probably one of the reasons why I don't roam anymore, and just stick to my 5 or 6 beaches.

Got tired of trying to park on a few streets that were so graciously designated for overnight parking, only to be hassled by some one in authority. Answering a'hole questions why I was there in the middle of the night. Checking my credentials over and over, checking the car out, see if I was drinking or any wacky weed about. This seemed to get worse as the years went on. More and more people going to these spots that were in residential areas.

So, they win, I lose- I just don't like being hassled- I just don't roam too much anymore.

I was fishing moco tonight. Got the skunk. I saw a guy catch a big bluefish. Must have been about 10lbs man it was fat! He got mad and kicked it back into the surf. Why do people do this?

Because they are dumasses. I don't really like blues myself but will put them back alive unless I know someone who wants them. You should respect all fish that you catch even skates. I must catch at least 500 skates and dogfish a year. Its part of fishing get used to it when you fish bait.