Thread: 70 degrees and winds

Default 70 degrees and winds

Is this 70 degree weather with south west winds good for us to catch stripers?

I see some people are catching but is it far and few between?

The south wind SUX for fishing. Water is brown and cold.

Wind from the North, fish come forth
    Wind from the South, fish shut there mouth
    Wind from the East, fish come to feast
    Wind from the West, fishing is the best

South winds sux they bring cold dirty water,for all of you that prayed for hot weather it has to come on south winds bad part about this warm front south winds are going to blow for the next 6 days. Ocean and bay are fogged in from cold wind off water hitting warm land air

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Very well put finchaser. Wind is one of the things I have been watching and even though we have caught a fish or 2, it's not as good as if there was an east or west wind to move any bait in and get the fish feeding. I can remember only 1 day being out on my boat in a south wind and knocked the bottom out of em. I am hoping the wind report will change as it does a lot of times.
    "Don't be shy, give it a try"

Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post

This should be a fisherman's mantra. I'll have to memorize it.

Don't memorize that. It all depends where you are fishing and when.

Here on LI the Sound, in some spots, is amazing with a hard S or SW wind. It dirties up quick with a west wind.

Conditions, conditions, conditions. Fish your spot inside and out during every condition you can to know it and be able to read the weather report to know when you have to go somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
    Don't memorize that. It all depends where you are fishing and when.

Here on LI the Sound, in some spots, is amazing with a hard S or SW wind. It dirties up quick with a west wind.

Conditions, conditions, conditions. Fish your spot inside and out during every condition you can to know it and be able to read the weather report to know when you have to go somewhere else.

In Jersey it holds pretty true through many years, and a log book that spans 30 years which now utilizes a fishing computer program for over 10 years. Many people that fish the east coast go by it too and will agree. There is also scientific data to back up south winds bringing cold dirty water with there swells do to up dwelling .

I agree not so on the Long Island sound as it does not face the Atlantic. I should have stated that. On the sound a south wind is like a west wind on the east coast facing the ocean. There is little updwelling because it is a bay not an Ocean. But even there a few tide changes and cold dirty water from the ocean takes over as it does in all east coast bays.

There are always exceptions to catching fish that why its called fishing.

South and SE winds never bring warm water SW is different.

Fisherman since I was a kid all along the east coast say:

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again