I feel so lame not getting out till now. I wanted to take some other people yak fishin this year. Spent some time figuring out how I was gonna set up 2 yaks for transport without breaking the bank or spending $300 for the Thule setups. Although beautiful, that isn't in the budget right now.

So, my procrastination in that kept me from just grabbing everything, tying it down, and getting out there. Last year I was in JBay in April, so this year I felt I was 4 months late. It kinda made me mad at myself, and yesterday I decided to finally change that outlook.

Took the yak to a relatively new (to me) piece of water last night with a lot of structure. I had been getting reports of double digit bass catches and wanted to make it out for a while.

Short version:
I didn't make the double digits, but I did manage 4 bass to 27" and 2 sea robins using sandworms. Had a great time, first yak trip of the year, good to finally see some stripes in the hot summer.

Long version:
I missed the high tide, got there at the end of the ebb. A friend had given me a lot of intel on the area, and I'm grateful for that.

Even so, the spot he suggested for put-in was crowded, so I searched around. Found one other place on my own, and 2 more after talking to locals for current fishing intel. They're getting bass up to 34" every day on bunker.

I had sandworms, wanted to set up a T&W for trolling. I put in at one of the places the locals suggested, pretty secluded, close to the water. The only downfall was I had to climb down to the water a bit with the yak, got to practice balancing for a few secs. Other than that, it was very close to where I wanted to be, and will be available until construction is done at the place. Good deal.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9586.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	11784

Since I missed the top of the tide, the most productive part for that area, I decided to paddle to a lighthouse 1 1/2 miles out. My plan was to find a way to secure the yak in the calm water, and fish for the dinner plate porgies.

By the time I got out there, the tide started coming in again, and the current was an issue. The mild W winds turned into steady 15, gusts to 20. The waves were pounding the rocks. Even though I found a little mini-harbor for the yak, it was still getting pounded. I grabbed some crabs from the rocks, and made a safety decision to not risk putting any deep gouges in the yak and go back to shore.

Needless to say, I was real disappointed. That place was holding fish, and I had to bail.
The wind was still steady as I neared the shoreline it didn't let up till much later. I targeted a place where there was a lee from the wind.

I decided to try for porgies at some structure close to shore. After 15 minutes of no action I was feeling down, and like I had forgotten how to fish.

Moved a bit more, and a few minutes later I had a short bass on the porgy rig in about 15' of water.

Name:	IMGP9588.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	11786

I was pumped. Even though only a short, I hadn't seen stripes for so long I was beginning to forget what they looked like.

I continued fishing the porgy rig, 2 hooks, with sandworms. There was a long 2 1/2 hour lull in activity, dead water, where I could do nothing. I tried artificials, shads, bucktails, etc, not a tap. Finally as the tide filled in, I started catching again. Landed 3 more bass to 27", 2 sea robins, and some dropped fish.

During the lull in activity I moved around a lot and paddled several miles. Found some incredible rocks, pilings, and ships moored. Positioned myself to drift past them because that's where the fish live.

The problem was the wind, which in that area was blowing steady. The drift was too fast, and I could have used a drift sock.

I did have one bass on on a tsunami shad, but only shortly, dropped it. I think he mouthed it as I was drifting rapidly by. When there is less wind, I know that structure will be killer.

Name:	IMGP9587.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	11785

As I said, I went back to the area that provided the lee, and caught the rest of the fish. The bite was sporadic and the fish were not stacked up. They were also a little skinny. My opinion is the rocks hold them there, but they need more forage fish. Anyway, just to be in a place that has produced double digits of bass for some was a treat. Only 37 miles, not a bad trip to make.

On a side note, there were lot of people partying close to shore. A few asked me if I weren't afraid of the sharks. The conversations were amusing just people having a good time on a Thur night.

It also seemed many don't yak fish that area at night. I saw very few boats out fishin at the rocky area, and not one other yakker.

I'll be back again on the right tide, and do more trolling.