Thread: Kayak trips & fishing reports 2010

Hybrid View

^Pebbles were you in a no-wake zone? If so they should be slowing down. If not, they can go as fast as they want. I know it sux but that's the way it is.
    Liked the report, especially the King Neptune prayer. Keep em coming.

I took Pebbles out on the tandem kayak for a pre-storm fishing and scouting trip. We stayed close to the harbor trying to beat the weather, but it was getting ugly. We found porgies pretty quickly. Only had 5 minutes before a fierce squall came ashore, and we had to high-tail it back to the launch. At least she caught a porgy with sandworms on her Finchaser rod.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP9870.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	11954

It seems every time I take the poor girl out we run into rough water. She's a trooper, don't know any other women that would trust me with their lives like that.

Name:	IMGP9872.JPG 
Views:	2 
Size:	35.0 KB 
ID:	11955

So far we've erred on the side of caution. Today we found some rocks that were a lee from the wind only a 1/2 mile paddle from the launch, so we drifted past them and she nailed the porgy. I really would have liked to stick around, because the fish were there. Last time we paddled all over for only a few missed hits.

Name:	IMGP9871.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	11956

This time we had fresh sandworms, the water was a little colder, and I was pumped for some good fishin. Better safe than sorry, we'll gettum next time.

Name:	IMGP9873.JPG 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	11957

Speaking of porgies, Rip-plugger has been spinning tales of guys catching 24" porgies in the Mid-Sound. Great fishin, but kinda hard to paddle out 2 1/2 miles out to the grounds in a kayak unless it's like a lake with light wind. No shame in catchin summer porgies, though, especially when they're getting them up to 24".

Yes I went out in the bad weather again. By the time we got there the dark clouds were rolling in. I ended up with one fish, and a lot of learning about who I am and the courage I can achieve.

After the morning NE swell, I packed it up and went to some water where I thought there would be a lee from the wind. It was a little sheltered, but not much. Wind was steady 20-25mph all day, with few breaks in between. At least the swells were slighlly smaller than the ones I ran into in the morning.

Name:	IMGP9890.JPG 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	11968

I fished most of the ebb. The area I picked was different than one I usually fish, and I spent some time learning the structure. I started with the T&W. Nothing doing, so I switched to a porgy rig with sandworms. Managed a few porgies.

Later on, I found out a kayak guy I know was there a few hours before me and got into double digit T&W bass catches. The best I could do was one fish that became unbuttoned on the T&W, after trolling for a while.

I hate the learning curve when you're first learning something and you're not good at it yet. Yesterday felt like an epic fail for me. What that does for me is to inspire resolve to discover my mistakes, learn from them, and do better next time.

Or....maybe I'll never be able to escape my googanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles View Post
    Yes I went out in the bad weather again. By the time we got there the dark clouds were rolling in. I ended up with one fish, and a lot of learning about who I am and the courage I can achieve.
    No one has more courage than you do, sweetheart. Who else would have the courage to put up with me all these years?
    Ya done good out there, I'm proud of ya!

I can't believe you were out in that weather yesterday, the rain was coming down in buckets in our town.

dark u r twistded i saw the water in the bay it was nasty.

^^ It was much better late yesterday, guys.
    I fished T&W for a few hours in the morning, managed 11 bass to 26". I'll post the rest of the report when I get a chance.