Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Observations

Default Observations

We have all seen changes to the spots that we frequent. Structure constantly changes in most spots, no control. But over time the areas I go to often have really changed.

The overcrowding and immense fishing pressure has increased tremendously in my area. Even when I’m in the solitary hours of dark it’s not solitary anymore.

Some beautiful jetties I used to plug have been covered over by the sand pumpers, non existent anymore.

The plovers have taken over vast areas of productive beaches.

The dark permits that were once free are now a pay only pass.

Now I have to register to plug the ocean, eventually another fee will be initiated.

New faces I meet (young/old/experienced/novice) now are more inclined with the impressive conversation of their catches, rather than the education of the how they got that catch.

I could go on, but these are only some things I’ve noticed. Times change-I adapt.
    What’s changed in your spots- Good/ Bad doesn’t matter, just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    The overcrowding and immense fishing pressure has increased tremendously in my area. Even when I’m in the solitary hours of dark it’s not solitary anymore...
    That's one of the things that makes me grateful for an inconsistent bite sometimes. Guys hear of hot action on the internet. They flock to an area, thinking only a red X spot holds fish. They fish it, get blanked, and give up. Thank God many of the younger generation doesn't understand persistence.

Now I have to register to plug the ocean, eventually another fee will be initiated..
    Bummed beyond belief at this, Surfwalker. I've accepted it for the good of all fishermen. Privately, I'm shocked that we let them get away with this, a fee to fish the ocean that God gave us.

New faces I meet (young/old/experienced/novice) now are more inclined with the impressive conversation of their catches, rather than the education of the how they got that catch..
    Ego and internet/tackle store fame reigns supreme in the minds of many new fishermen nowadays. Whenever I meet a new fisherman, the chances of us having a conversation about the history of striped bass and where we stand today are very small. If I start to talk about any of these topics, usually about 5-10% of the guys out there "get it". I know to stop that direction of the conversation when I see the eyes glaze over in the other 90%.

But talk about a 30, or 50, that was "allegedly" caught in that very same spot that dawn, and you have their undivided attention...

What's changed is that I don't have the privacy any more that you mentioned, unless I'm there from 1-4am. Then the only guys I usually run into are most likely guys like you who live for the experience foremost and consider catching just a part of that experience.

Fishing is like church, therapy, or a life-long addiction, to a select group of fishermen I know.

They're "shadow people" who have abandoned the internet and its wannabe fish heroes, the dubious glory of the tackle shop weigh ins. A lot of old timers are starting to realize that the more you clue someone into a certain area, after you've worked hard to figure the best times to be in that area, that helping someone sometimes is like shooting yourself in the foot, so they've stopped helping people so willingly..

I don't mean to down on fishing, Surfwalker. I still love it and wouldn't stop even if they banned us from bass. Those particular points you made are the ones that stand out to me, in my experience.

Others may feel differently.

The overcrowding and immense fishing pressure has increased tremendously in my area. Even when I’m in the solitary hours of dark it’s not solitary anymore.

Some beautiful jetties I used to plug have been covered over by the sand pumpers, non existent anymore.

I wonder what the early Indians would think if they still walked the beaches here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cryingindian.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	10753

Young folks don't seem to want to put in the time, surfwalker. Some of them want to be experts overnight, and won't accept that it takes years to get a level of skill where you can increase your odds of being where the fish are.
    As for crowding, I'm retired so I try to fish weekdays a lot. There is a mentality with some of the weekend fishermen that is nothing less than appalling. Did their parents not teach them to pick up trash and respect others by having good manners?
    There are a lot of good young folks out there. I meet some every week. The one recurring theme I see is the selfishness and the me first mentality. I guess this is what we see today in society in general. Why expect any different on the beach?

We all need to get with the program and bring Kenny Rogers onboard for the roaster plovers restaurants. These environmentalists are getting to the point where in the future the toilet paper we use in the future will have to be enviro approved.

They all like to protect the plovers. It's a wonder Obama hasn't made our resident SOS in charge of their protection.

Quote Originally Posted by williehookem View Post
    They all like to protect the plovers. It's a wonder Obama hasn't made our resident SOS in charge of their protection.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

More people, people who just bought a 30' boat yesterday and have little or no boating or fishing experience, and not enough respect and courtesy.

Sometimes I wish there were no fish for a year so half the guys would stop fishing. Maybe that sounds selfish but it gets worse every year.

its easy guys its like this i want it now not later not in a few min they want instant fish thats the way most of the young guns are they just dont get itu try to teach them it fall on deaf ears they know it all and most of them have not bin fishing long but thats there mind setand thats not good for fishing at all

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    We all need to get with the program and bring Kenny Rogers onboard for the roaster plovers restaurants. These environmentalists are getting to the point where in the future the toilet paper we use in the future will have to be enviro approved.
    Although I don't have any hatred for the plover, I'm just not crazy for the laws that prohibit me from walking the wetline.

Over the years I've eased up on my feelings and look at the plover people as in our plight to keep the Striper in abundance.

But the plover has to adapt and get used to people being around, we are not leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    Sometimes I wish there were no fish for a year so half the guys would stop fishing. .
    Those years I try to forget, only a few Bass for me the whole season (not for lack of trying). And yes, it was pretty solitary, but not much pull on the drag. Lotta just walks and casting, chaulked up to just the way it goes. But the blabbermouths prevailed and the crowds came back more than ever.

Time spent at the water was enjoyed, but the lack of Bass was depressing.

But the plover has to adapt and get used to people being around, we are not leaving.

What if it doesn't adapt? What if they are just stupid birds that can't learn from their mistakes, is that our fault?

Quote Originally Posted by storminsteve View Post
    I wonder what the early Indians would think if they still walked the beaches here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cryingindian.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	10753
    Great pic and visual Steve. Surfwalker I agree pretty soon they will be charging us per trip if we want to fish. Suxxx.

Default I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish View Post
    What if it doesn't adapt? What if they are just stupid birds that can't learn from their mistakes, is that our fault?
    dogfish, good question. My feeling is that we are no more to blame for the demise of this bird than are the fox, raccoons and gulls that share the same space as these birds. Also, I don't see any plovers flying around with a 3'x6'x6' cage on their back in order to make a safe nesting area.

Like I stated before I will not contribute to the demise of any creature, but if they don't learn by their mistakes, or their instincts have gone a little off, they will never survive, 'an that's that.

Default In the works.

Quote Originally Posted by VSdreams View Post
    Great pic and visual Steve. Surfwalker I agree pretty soon they will be charging us per trip if we want to fish. Suxxx.

VS- I'm afraid that your statement is already in the works(license/permits)-Money for nothing (and chicks arn't free)

storminsteve- If those Indians were able to come back today and see what's going on-they would run back to their graves in disgust

Have you seen Monmouth beach lately? It is a shame what they did to that. Now the fish will never come in there.

Default Re: In the works.

VS- I'm afraid that your statement is already in the works(license/permits)-Money for nothing (and chicks arn't free)

storminsteve- If those Indians were able to come back today and see what's going on-they would run back to their graves in disgust
    Another Dire Straits fan? Nice

Default Re: Observations

Quote Originally Posted by VSdreams View Post

i hope that doesn't happen.

Default Re: Observations

We have all seen changes to the spots that we frequent. Structure constantly changes in most spots, no control. But over time the areas I go to often have really changed.

The dark permits that were once free are now a pay only pass.

Now I have to register to plug the ocean, eventually another fee will be initiated.

New faces I meet (young/old/experienced/novice) now are more inclined with the impressive conversation of their catches, rather than the education of the how they got that catch.

I could go on, but these are only some things I’ve noticed. Times change-I adapt.

What's bad is the love for plovers has risen above the needs of fishermen. This seems like it will only get worse as more of these PETA weirdos get into our gov't. We tried so hard to be reasonable and they treat us like we are baby killers. At some point that has got to stop and we fishermen have to fight or organize a mass walk-on in pretest and risk getting arrested. Bring the news cameras in so people see we are good guys who just want to fish.

Whats good is that the beaches and some inlets are pretty quiet. Piers and bridges are crowded as usual with all the guys slinging bait. If you fish on a weeknight and creep around you hardly run into anyone nowadays. I like that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast