Thread: flush mount rod holder

Default flush mount rod holder

We want to install some rod holders on my buddies kayak. What would you recommend on how to drill holes in fiberglass for a flush mount rod holder?

Thumbs up to stripermania

Quote Originally Posted by stripermania View Post
    We want to install some rod holders on my buddies kayak. What would you recommend on how to drill holes in fiberglass for a flush mount rod holder?
    all the ones i have seen and done are in the back of the seat.
    the holes are going to be egg shaped made by a hole saw if you are in asbury park one day i would be happy to help ya out my email is tor5171437@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by speedy View Post
    all the ones i have seen and done are in the back of the seat.
    the holes are going to be egg shaped made by a hole saw if you are in asbury park one day i would be happy to help ya out my email is tor5171437@aol.com
    Wow Speedy, you're a new member here for only a few days and out of the box you're on here and helping people with advice.

That's what I call being part of and contributing to a community.

There are scores of people who have been members of this site for a long time now. I see them coming on here every day to check fishing reports. They view the great info and helpful hints posted up by many of our most prolific posting members.

Yet there are so many guys who benefit from this site, and it seems it's too much effort to help us out by puttting up a post or 2 when they sign in.

And here we have a guy who's jumping in right from the start to be part of this great community of anglers. There are those who might sarcastically say... "well that's because he's trying to sell some plugs, or something else..."

So what?
    At least he's trying to be part of this here instead of a non-contributing lurker.

I don't know ya yet Speedy, but I like ya already!

Thanks for jumping in to contribute to the posts without being asked. Feel free to promote anything you or your family is involved in. If ya want me to do a background story on you and your plugs to raise awareness, contact me and I would be glad to.

Talking darkskies

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
    Wow Speedy, you're a new member here for only a few days and out of the box you're on here and helping people with advice.

There are scores of people who have been members of this site for a long time now. I see them coming on here every day to check fishing reports. They view the great info and helpful hints posted up by many of our most prolific posting members.

Yet there are so many guys who benefit from this site, and it seems it's too much effort to help us out by puttting up a post or 2 when they sign in.

And here we have a guy who's jumping in right from the start to be part of this great community of anglers. There are those who might sarcastically say... "well that's because he's trying to sell some plugs, or something else..."

So what?
    At least he's trying to be part of this here instead of a non-contributing lurker.

I don't know ya yet Speedy, but I like ya already!

Thanks for jumping in to contribute to the posts without being asked. Feel free to promote anything you or your family is involved in. If ya want me to do a background story on you and your plugs to raise awareness, contact me and I would be glad to.
    it just the way i am and no i dont sell plugs i should but i dont. email if you would like to know more thanks . tor5171437@aol.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post

Darkskies I want to thank you for he great site you have here and the hard work you do so we can learn. It must seem like a thankless job at times, and I wanted to say that I for one appreciate it and all the members who have helped me. I don't feel I have much to conrtibute sometimes. Maybe some of you guys think my questions are stupid, but I am just learning and trying to do some of the research myself also.
    What I like about this site is that no one has called my questions stupid or yelled at me for asking them. We all had to learn somewhere. I didn't have a lot of people to teach me about fishing when I was growing up. Thanks again, and thanks for putting up with me and helping me as I learn to appreciate all aspects of fishing.

Thumbs up porgy75

Quote Originally Posted by porgy75 View Post
    Darkskies I want to thank you for he great site you have here and the hard work you do so we can learn. It must seem like a thankless job at times, and I wanted to say that I for one appreciate it and all the members who have helped me. I don't feel I have much to conrtibute sometimes. Maybe some of you guys think my questions are stupid, but I am just learning and trying to do some of the research myself also.
    What I like about this site is that no one has called my questions stupid or yelled at me for asking them. We all had to learn somewhere. I didn't have a lot of people to teach me about fishing when I was growing up. Thanks again, and thanks for putting up with me and helping me as I learn to appreciate all aspects of fishing.
    like i said befor you need some help ask me i can put some lite on the water for ya

On fiberglass you want to tape the entire area that you will be drilling thru with blue painters tape to avoid uneeded scratches and possible slips of the drill.

Once you figure out where you want them to be, I suggest that your friend sits in the yak and tries to grab the rods from behind him first, you want to use a hole saw. The hole saw is a 2 1/8" I think and should just be slightly larger then the diameter of the flushmount and then you will have to elongate the hole slightly and make it an oval. Take you time doing this as you do not want to go to big. Maybe a file or some sandpaper or smaller drum sander attached to your drill.

Take your time and put some thought into the angle and position of the flushmount before you drill, once you drill your locked in to a hole in your yak.