Thread: what is it about plugging that gets you going?

Default what is it about plugging that gets you going?

I have been trying to learn how to catch fish with bait first. I am moderately successful and have caught a few short bass. I would like to ask you guys that plug why you started. I see some pluggers at different places, but so far I have not seen them catch anything. It looks like something I really want to try but I am clueless, that's why i ask a lot of questions.
    It looks either thrilling, or boring, the idea of catching a fish on an artificial creation.
    So which is it for you, and why did you start doing it?

I love the rush of getting something to hit an artificial presentation. I will fish bait no problem, but it'w more of a challenge to figure what plug the fish will hit.

I agree, the rush of fooling a bass is great. Also the challenge. I don't fish bait, I enjoy being out there throwing artificials, finding structure, reading the water and not having stinky clam hands. I like being active, walking the beach. Bait fishing is like fishing with a bobber...the bobber goes down and set the hook. I don't snag and drop either, i like the challenge of using artificials only. That's what is fun for me.
    I used to fly fish streams and rivers and find surf fishing, reading the beach very similar to fly fishing those streams.

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    I love the rush of getting something to hit an artificial presentation. .
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

I like the excitement and the challenge of fooling a fish on an artificial. Another reason it keeps me and my equipment from smelling like s--t. So far this year in 4 times out I have 7 keepers to 14# and 1 short all on plugs. At the end of a season the pluggers always out fish the bait guys. Very few bait guys catch 20 to 30 bass a day in the fall. It's takes practice to become proficient with plugs. IMO anyone can catch a bass on bait and it's boring.

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Default Why

I think I posted this on one of my very posts on this site.

I just enjoy everything about walking the wetline. I love the very early walks, the casting and anticipation of the next cast, the changing of plugs, the hit, the strike, the drag singing, the bend in the rod, the play of the Bass and the beaching. And then the attempt to do it all over again on the next cast or the hundredth cast.

It's just a feeling that I have for plugging. To fool maybe one solitary Bass after walking and casting countless hours in the dark. Knowing what should work for success but comes up empty and then going against what was once taught in order to attain that success.

The constant trying for that success, thinking you have it all figured out, but the learning aspect just continues.

Is it the rush when your reeling stops dead with a decent hit? Is it the accomplishment of that correct plug? Is it just seeing Stripes? It's all these things to me and more. I just enjoy the hell outta it. My escape, my shot in the arm, my peace and enjoyment.

The early season I do bring salted clams with me. The water is still cool out front, the Bass are mostly lethargic and not aggressive. But once I catch on a clam, I'm looking to see if they are holding or traveling. Either way, I switch over to a plugging leader and toss plugs, it's too hard for me to resist.

Many hours for me have gone Bassless, but it was never a waste of time or boring, it was enjoyed as if it was my first time out . The anticipation keeps me coming back.

Happy Trails

Like everyone else it is the challenge to make something made of wood or plastic look alive and fool a fish to eat it.Pluggers have great skills in knowing how to work each plug they throw the proper way and it takes a lot of practice to make it look and swim realistic,if you have never had a larger blue or bass slam a popping plug you should try it I think you will like what happens hold on to that rod though.

^^^ X2. It is the rush of adrenaline when you least expect it. You fool the fish, and it trys its best to destroy your tackle if it's big enough.

The coolest thing for me about fishing plugs is you don't know when you will get hit. Like you guys said it's the anticipation. You are out there trying to pattern the behavior of a baitfish as you reel the plug in. Then all of a sudden you get slammed! It is the ultimate rush.

What he said^^^^and Yep it sure beats snot slinging

Pay attention to what history has taught us or be prepared to relive it again

Cool

I got started by seeing older guys with big rods and big plugs casting for monster gators.
    I promptly bought into the game and was hooked up on the 4th cast,never looked back since.
    working a swimmer on top or below slow and steady,waiting for that touch,ready to strike hard/fast,not knowing if it's a 20lb'er or a 40lb'er that's is the question.
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by surfwalker View Post
    I think I posted this on one of my very posts on this site.

I just enjoy everything about walking the wetline. I love the very early walks, the casting and anticipation of the next cast, the changing of plugs, the hit, the strike, the drag singing, the bend in the rod, the play of the Bass and the beaching. And then the attempt to do it all over again on the next cast or the hundredth cast.

It's just a feeling that I have for plugging. To fool maybe one solitary Bass after walking and casting countless hours in the dark. Knowing what should work for success but comes up empty and then going against what was once taught in order to attain that success.

The constant trying for that success, thinking you have it all figured out, but the learning aspect just continues.

Is it the rush when your reeling stops dead with a decent hit? Is it the accomplishment of that correct plug? Is it just seeing Stripes? It's all these things to me and more. I just enjoy the hell outta it. My escape, my shot in the arm, my peace and enjoyment.

The early season I do bring salted clams with me. The water is still cool out front, the Bass are mostly lethargic and not aggressive. But once I catch on a clam, I'm looking to see if they are holding or traveling. Either way, I switch over to a plugging leader and toss plugs, it's too hard for me to resist.

Many hours for me have gone Bassless, but it was never a waste of time or boring, it was enjoyed as if it was my first time out . The anticipation keeps me coming back.

Happy Trails
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    Also the challenge. I don't fish bait, I enjoy being out there throwing artificials, finding structure, reading the water and not having stinky clam hands. I like being active, walking the beach. I don't snag and drop either, i like the challenge of using artificials only. That's what is fun for me.
    Almost 6 years since I wrote that and its more fun than ever. Can't wait to get out there again this year.
    White Water Monty 2.00 (WWM)
    Future Long Islander (ASAP)

Quote Originally Posted by Monty View Post
    I agree, the rush of fooling a bass is great. Also the challenge. I don't fish bait, I enjoy being out there throwing artificials, finding structure, reading the water and not having stinky clam hands. I like being active, walking the beach. Bait fishing is like fishing with a bobber...the bobber goes down and set the hook. I don't snag and drop either, i like the challenge of using artificials only. That's what is fun for me.
    I used to fly fish streams and rivers and find surf fishing, reading the beach very similar to fly fishing those streams.
    Quote Originally Posted by finchaser View Post
    I like the excitement and the challenge of fooling a fish on an artificial. Another reason it keeps me and my equipment from smelling like s--t. So far this year in 4 times out I have 7 keepers to 14# and 1 short all on plugs. At the end of a season the pluggers always out fish the bait guys. Very few bait guys catch 20 to 30 bass a day in the fall. It's takes practice to become proficient with plugs. IMO anyone can catch a bass on bait and it's boring.
    I agree with you guys to a point. I do fish the big delaware in the spring and when the water is colder it's almost impossible to get them on plugs. So I use worms a lot. I have had some success near the bridges and back bays in cape may with rubber jigs at night. I will focus more on lures this year and try to get some more skills. The way you all said it makes it sound like a true rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip-Plugger View Post
    I got started by seeing older guys with big rods and big plugs casting for monster gators.
    I promptly bought into the game and was hooked up on the 4th cast,never looked back since.
    working a swimmer on top or below slow and steady,waiting for that touch,ready to strike hard/fast,not knowing if it's a 20lb'er or a 40lb'er that's is the question.
    Me too. I used to throw snot a lot. Did fairly well. There were times when the plug guys would outfish me 3to1 and I am always trying to learn more. So I started trying and liked it. It's amazing how addictive it can become. Especially when you who make your own plugs catch one on something you crafted by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by 7deadlyplugs View Post
    Me too. I used to throw snot a lot. Did fairly well. There were times when the plug guys would outfish me 3to1 and I am always trying to learn more. So I started trying and liked it. It's amazing how addictive it can become. Especially when you who make your own plugs catch one on something you crafted by hand.
    oh man,theres nothing like it,love getting hit hard and swinging and connecting solid!
    Takes a Big Man to sling Big Wood,,,,boys sling plastic,,,,,,,