Thread: Show your yak and the rigging tricks you use

Default Show your yak and the rigging tricks you use

Ran into Shorelady and her friend John this AM in RB. They let me take some pics, had some nice tweaks and personalized setups for their yaks.

Nice meeting ya's both, see you as soon as I get my aZZ out there!

John's yak

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP8285.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	10897

Name:	IMGP8286.JPG 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	10898

Shorelady's yak
    (nice to meet ya again...)

Sweet Hobie!

Name:	IMGP8287.JPG 
Views:	1 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	10899

Name:	IMGP8288.JPG 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	10900

Name:	IMGP8290.JPG 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	10902
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMGP8289b.jpg  

It was great seeing you again also. It has been a while. I finally put 2&2 together also! Nice meeting Pebbles. Hope you can make it out there sometime soon. I do love my hobie. BTW LennyD also fishes with us! He told me about this site.

That's some set up you have Shorelady. How long have you been kayaking?

This will be my third season. Initially I bought the same kayak as John, but felt more comfortable and safer with the hobie. (legs stronger than arms.) Have been very fortunate to have a fellow kayaker fisherman help me install some of the items. I am sure there are a few to still add.

I was impressed with your set-up, Shorelady. Rich has taken me out a few times with him. I always get nervous because I can't swim that well. He wants me to get one as well now that he has a Hobie. I keep thinking it will be to difficult on my own. Do you think it is somethng I could do alone if I got a peddle yak as well?

Why don't you give his a try in a nice calm area. If he needs a yak to be out there with you, I have an extra, feel free to use. As far as peddling, Women's legs are by far much stronger than our upper bodies. Once I switched to a hobie, I was much more confident on the water. Of course there are many considerations, but my thoughts are the hobie is the way to go.

That is a relief to hear. I don't ever think you would ever find me out on the water without someone else along.

Thank you so much for the offer of the use of your yak. That is so nice of you. Rich purchased another one he just has to go pick it up.

Now I can't wait until I get to go. I joined a gym so hopefully my leg muscles will get much stronger.

Happy Kayaking!

Default My basic set up

Thought I would post up some of the initial pics of how my yak is set up. I have no electronics at this point, trying to keep things simple and cheap. G hooked me up with a portable GPS, might start bringing that along.

Name:	IMGP9727.JPG 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	11820

Name:	IMGP9741.JPG 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	11822

Name:	IMGP9728.JPG 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	11823

Right now I'm using my FW experience at finding and marking holes and spots. The salt difference is that I have the tidal advantage, where I make sure if the fishin slows as the tide goes out, I try to make mental notes of each place, and where the structure starts to appear. For me, these lessons are more valuable because each spot then becomes burned in my brain. Of course, that means fishing a whole tide until you get to know an area. And as I fish the ocean more I'll need some electronics to mark some choice bottom structure.

But for now, I'm just trying to keep things simple and prove you can catch fish without electronics. If you want to fish a channel, look for the markers, and your sinker will tell you the boundaries as you bounce along.