Thread: catfishing without a rod

Default catfishing without a rod

No rod

Called noodling, I would try that after a 6 pack or 2.

Catfish noodling can be a dangerous activity, yet it is one that is still undertaken by many adventurous fisherman. Fishermen have been permanently scarred, lost fingers or other limbs, and even killed while attempting this activity. So this is definitely not a sport for the faint of heart.
    Various methods have been explored to reduce the danger and make catfish noodling a bit simpler. For example, sometimes sandbags or rocks are built up around the hole to prevent the catfish from escaping and dragging the noodler downstream. Catfish don’t usually take well to the intrusion into their lair and will sometimes torpedo themselves out of the hole and straight into the chest of the noodler, and blocking them in reduces the risk. Some fishermen choose to wear gloves to protect their hands, though most consider this a hindrance to their ability to feel around and determine what exactly they are working with inside that hole.

You gotta have a set of brass balls to do that. Met a guy today from Missouri, said he's been noodling since he was a kid. Hope he comes on the site to post, said his biggest catfish was 65lbs. That's a frikkin monster hanging off your arm, don't need to lift weights when you're liftin' catfish for fun.

Sticking your fingers in a deep dark hole not knowing what you will find. Reminds me of an old girlfriend.

Haha that is disturbing! As long as you don't find any prizes like in a cracker jack box I guess it's all good.